1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyreke Evans named rookie of the year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by deekay209, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

this guy was 1 basket short per game of having better numbers than tyreke. i wouldn't read too much into the 20/5/5 thing.

[​IMG]

18 ppg, 6.6 apg, 5.3 rpg

#21 bullardfan, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

1 basket short? 1 basket PER GAME short. That's 82 baskets or 164 points. That's not particularly close.

3. SternSuckS

SternSuckS Member

That's one basket per game, not one basket.. there is a big difference between 18 PPG & 20 PPG. You're right, fitting into a catagory of Oscar, Jordan & LBJ is over rated! LOL

Francis was very good, when he got hurt it all went down hill. Have you heard of Ralph Sampson or Shaun Livingston? They both had major injuries, could have been better then they end up, or in Livingston's case probably could have been better had it not been for his injury.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wow 1 basket would have put his point over 20?

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

1 basket per game is what i meant. also, the rockets weren't trying to help francis achieve some stat. unlike the kings.
    but yeah go ahead and continue to be wowed. tyreke evans isn't going to amount to much more than a solid starter in the nba.

TSchmal: he also averaged about 1 more apg than Tyreke. which in many cases are more difficult to achieve than points.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah the Kings from Day One said hey Tyreke we are going to throw everything away and let you average 20,,5,5.

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

not from day one but they admitted to trying to help him achieve it. maybe if they had to choose between playoffs or 20/5/5 they wouldve chosen the playoffs. however, maybe they wouldve made the playoffs if tyreke learned to involve his teammates more.

Yeah. Tyreke is da bomb. He will be the next Oscar Robertson, MJ, or LBJ.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Involving the teammates more or not the Kings were not making the playoffs.

I don't think he's the next LeBron, MJ, or Oscar Robertson.

Most were just pointing out that Francis was more than 1 basket away from being in that club.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

yeah, and i stated that that wasn't what i meant. does anyone know how many players averaged Francis's stat line for their rookie season? i personally think the ALMOST 1 more apg is more valuable than the 2 more ppg.

anyway, whatever. kudos to tyreke and his 20/5/5.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

The comparison to Steve Francis may be a good one. I haven't seen Evans play much, but from what I hear, he also likes to dribble the ball for the entire shot clock on most possessions. He put up impressive numbers as a rookie, but he'll have to expand his game to continue putting up good numbers and start winning games (of course better teammates will help with the winning).

11. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

well, i did a little searching and this is what i found. nobody can touch Oscar Robertson. LBJ still seems a shadow of MJ. and i still think that tryeke's achievement is not that different from Francis's.

Penny: 16/ 6.6/ 5

Magic: 18/ 7.3/ 7

Alvan Adams: 18/ 4.5/ 9

Francis: 18/ 6.6/ 5.3

Tyreke: 20.1/ 5.8 / 5.3

LeBron: 20.9/ 5.9 / 5.5

Jordan: 28.2/ 5.9/ 6.5

Oscar: 30.5/ 9.7/ 10.1 (wow)

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Again, I'm gonna say Jennings deserved it. He is the only one able to carry his team to the playoffs and he is on the verge of knocking off the Hawks. Tyreke has nice stats and all, but what Jennings has done has been much more impressive to me.

13. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Couldn't agree with you more :grin: :cool:

14. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

You have low IQ.

Jennings did not "carry" his team to the playoffs. If a player is capable of shooting 37% for an entire season and the team makes the playoffs, it's damn sure that he isn't the number one option. In fact, it basically means that they made the playoffs in spite of his poor play. I read somewhere that Jennings is absolutely last in shooting FG% for qualified players (I think 16+ FGA per game). That's atrocity.

There are a number of reasons why the Bucks improved dramatically, and one of it is Jennings' point guard play, but it certainly is not the biggest of reasons. Adding another 18 PPG player in John Salmons helped. Bogut's breaking out helped. Veteranship like Stackhouse also helped.

Jennings has been playing GREAT in the playoffs. In the regular season? Not so much.

Keep in mind that this is the EASTERN CONFERENCE, where a team like the Hawks can win 53 games. Definitely the weakest team to ever win 53 games in recent memory.

In the West: Hawks, Heat, Bucks, Cats go lottery.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Hawks aren't a bad team. They have a very talented line up. They certainly aren't a lotto team in the west.

16. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Yes, they are. Who would you have them beat in a 7-game series? Who would they replace? The Thunder is the only possibility, and even I say "no" to that.

If the trio of Duncan-Ginobli-Parker (And scrub Jefferson) is 7th out West, I'm sure Hawks would fall below them. There were injuries, sure, but the same scenario applies with almost every other team in the WC playoffs.

In the EC, Joe Johnson has been a year-in and year-out all-star, which is a crime. In the WC, we have the likes of Deron Williams and Brandon Roy struggling to make the team. Both are better than JJ. That's how deep it is out West, from perspectives of team talent and individual talent.
    ---
    I'm hoping for an upset, and Jennings definitely deserve credit whether or not it happens, but the ATL Hawk are no measuring stick. And the ROY award does not consider postseason success, just like the MVP award. Dirk would not have gotten his MVP in 2007 if that were the case.

Most high lottery draft picks, if you simply go by logic (which isn't always accurate due to injuries, ping-pong balls, etc.), fall into the worse teams in the NBA. It would not make sense to compare draft #15's team record to draft #1's team record. Very things that simple minds should be able to compute. Once again, trades and player break-out seasons are also a factor.

Adding John Salmons only gave the Bucks one of the best records in the EC post all-star break.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

ha, good one, how ironic

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

well, in his defense, what did bogut do before jennings got there? you don't need to be the top scorer to be an impact player. and Stackhouse helped? really? what kind of leadership can Stackhouse provide?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

It would be a much better one if Francis was 3 inches taller and could move to off-guard instead. :(

20. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

You can come out and say it yourself. Don't go and hide behind "his" argument.

Despite what you may say, having a veteran (who, at one point in his career, was a top player and averages a career 18 ppg) on a young team helps.

What kind of logic are you going by with Bogut? Jennings is a rookie. It's not like he's proven player. In fact, if you want to use that kind of stupidity, we can all ask: why has Jennings done before Salmons? Nothing. The Bucks were heading nowhere fast, being around 9th seed before the trade. Salmons carried the team to the playoffs. Can you honestly shoot 37% and be the reason for a team's playoff birth? Find me another player in NBA history that has done such a thing.

Bogut has been averaging around 15/10 except this year he's made an obvious impact on the defensive end, averaging 2.5 blocks this year (second to only Dwight Howard). At one point, Bogut would have been a great choice for most improved player.

Once again, John Salmons has played well. The Bucks were not going to make the playoffs and adding another player averaging 18 PPG around 50% certainly helped their cause. Brandon Jennings, in no way, shape, or form, "led" the Bucks to the playoffs. John Salmons and Andrew Bogut did, with the help of BJ.

Either way, the Bucks are not a legit playoff team. This is the EC we're talking about.