1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyreke Evans named rookie of the year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by deekay209, Apr 28, 2010.

1. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

2. NMS is the Best

Tyreke deserved this award. Easily the most consistent of the three. This kid will be as good as or even better than D-Wade once he develops his jumpshot...

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Stephen Curry deserved it more, IMO. Tyreke is a chucker.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Good question.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Congratulations to him, although I'm not sure about the "better than Wade" comment. Let's see if he can win a title with the refs first before we pass judgments.

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

who the hell is brandon edwards? :confused:

7. deekay209

Tyreke led the league in shots attempted at the rim per game with 8.4. He also tied Lebron for shots made at the rim per game with 5.0.

http://hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx

So if layups and dunks are "chucking" you are absolutely right.

8. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

He meant Brandon Jennings

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lmao :grin:

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

"You can be sure the other two guys in the hunt for the award, the Golden State Warriors' Sephen Curry and the Milwaukee Bucks' Brandon Edwards, are bumming right about now after stellar seasons."

Bumming right now?

What kind of writing is that? Disappointed would be a better word for it. Is this guy like, 15 or something?

12. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

13. NMS is the Best

IF he develops a reliable jumpshot, then he could be. Because that is the only deficiency in his game right now...

Btw, I got to watch him personally at Hofheinz when Memphis came to play UH. I remember him continuously getting into our paint and getting easy buckets/fts. I was thinking: "this guy is good". I had no idea...lol...

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Congratulation to Calipari. I may as well congragulate him for next year's ROY: John Wall.

15. SternSuckS

SternSuckS Member

Why cuz the only thing the warriors were trying to do at the end of the year was to let Curry shoot any chance he got so he can try & get the ROY? The only real candidates were Jennings & Evans. I'd have been ok with either, but Evans putting up 20, 5 & 5 and the company he was in is pretty hard to ignore.

16. SternSuckS

SternSuckS Member

True, that'll be 3 ROY's in a row that Calipari has coached. That's pretty serious weapon for recruiting! He'll also have the 2013 in Mike Gilchrist!

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think he deserved it. 20-5-5 is a pretty hard achievement to earn your rookie season.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

idk, I think he was kinda overrated. He did seem like a chucker to me and the way he played did not equal wins. Jennings became incredibly underrated down the stretch. He was amazing for the first half of the year and definitely slowed down, but he is also leading a team in the playoffs to a couple wins. The other guys couldn't do that and it's not like the Bucks have more talent.

19. deekay209

ROY is a regular season award and Jennings wasn't nearly as consistent enough for the whole year. I would credit their regular season success more to Andrew Bogut before he went down with the injury and John Salmons. Not somebody who shot 37% for the season. I will admit that he has been impressive so far in the playoffs. After falling off for the second half of the season, he's come back very strong in the playoffs.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Evans was 20-5-5. I believe he's only the fourth rookie to ever do it. Who else has done it? LeBron James, Oscar Robertson, and Michael Jordan.

You can call him a chucker, but he shot 45.8% on the season. That's very good. In fact, it proves he's not a chucker because his outside shot isn't very good and he maintains such a great FG% because he takes it to the basket. That's the opposite of a chucker.

Stephen Curry is a great shooter, but isn't much of a finisher at the basket; a different ball player, if you will. He shot 46.2%. Notice that it's only 0.4% higher that Tyreke Evans who people are saying is a "chucker".

Yeah, Curry came on strong towards the end of the season. Yeah, Jennings' team had a better record. But in the end, Tyreke Evans was just better.