1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Hansbrough

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I wasn't paying much attention to the dude until he dominated the Rockets last night.

Apparently, he's been doing this quite a bit lately as a starter in the absence of David West: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4618/gamelog;_ylt=AiYATWtRx7u7VA579uesjVSkvLYF His overall per game numbers don't look so great since he only averages 16 mpg. Also, frankly, his production even on a per-minute basis before the recent string of starts is rather ordinary. Sort of a Goran Dragic story-- per minute production jumped when placed into a starting role.

Morey compared Hansbrough's energetic to that of Kenneth Faried on radio this morning.

So, thoughts on his value as a (restricted) free agent? How much will a small sample of very good games earn him? Should Morey pursue him for Houston (as a backup option of the primary targets fall through)?

2. saleem

saleem Member

How is his defense? A bigger sample will help. Offense and rebounding is pretty good.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Looks good enough to me last night-- even did well while checking Delfino (a task that many regular PFs struggle with).

4. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Love his game. Real gritty and all heart.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

Not a huge fan. Good motor and decent all-around, but only average on defense and a black hole on offense. Might even be worse than Brandon Bass in that regard. I'd guess he'll get $3.5-MLEish. Wouldn't pursue him.

6. basketballholic

I agree. Would love to have him on a rookie deal but somebody is going to offer him some jack. He's a blood and guts guy, he plays hard all the time, he's strong as a bull moose and nasty as one too. We've got TRob in that salary slot. Can't afford to pay Tyler unless we get him undervalue and we miss out on all the other big FAs first.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He damn sure is no Patrick Patterson. But then again those are some big shoes to fill.

8. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I hate the dude. Love his game, just hate the dude.

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

He is like Carl Landry with no shot. Good motor.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i suspect that's about right.

11. Kwame

Kwame Member

Hansbrough wishes his "energetic" was on the same level as Kenneth Faried. It's not even close.

12. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Didn't he do really well when he was placed as a starter last season? Didn't he average double-doubles during that time?

13. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

So far, including last year, whenever this guy starts, he has been a REALLY good starter. He could easily be a double-double player in this league. I wouldn't mind picking him up for 3 yrs/15 mil. I really think he's a special player.

14. eman

eman Member

He scored a basket for us, which is more than our starting PF did.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's that highly regarded by Pacers fans, so I'll pass. He'd be good for the right situation, but it's not here.

Plus he looks like Beeker and that's just weird.

16. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

This guy plays dirty. Do not want.

17. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Just did the numbers, and in the 37 games Hansbrough has started in, he's putting up:

13.8 pts/gm
    6.9 rbs/gm

14 and 7 is pretty good. Better than any starting power forwards we have.

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Tyler Hansbrough is the black Ben Hansbrough.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I would say that on most nights Hansbrough would be the "hardest worker on the floor" in that same element. The guy who doesnt take plays off, guy at the gym that plays too hard that no one likes.

Hansbrough doesnt have the pogo stick bounce and explosion of Faried. He also takes more jumpers than Faried and does more post-ups, not just looking for putbacks, though he's not an efficient power forward. But yeah Faried is on a Dennis Rodman level of energy ball.

Rockets already have an athletic motor guy in Thomas Robinson, so it'd depend on how things shape out. If its something like trading T-Rob and D-Mo for Josh Smith then someone like Hansbrough can be looked at for depth.

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Why trade D-Mo and Robinson for Smith, when we can just sign him outright, then trade of the two young guys for other assets?