1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TYLER ENNIS WAIVED

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakeemthagreat

People keep bringing up the Bucks but that hasn't any merit on this team or what he did last year. The Bucks are a different team with different needs. Our team is thin at backup SF/PF. Nene is good but injury prone. Brewer is garbage. Beasley is better than Brewer and more useful. The team would be better with Beasley backing up SF than Brewer and spelling for Nene when teams go small. You clearly don't know the makeup of this roster

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't think you get it.

Morey finds these one hit wonders from the scrap heap almost every year. If Brown actually makes the opening day roster, he might be this years version of Josh Smith or Michael Beasley.

And then when we don't bring him back next year there will be a segment of fans calling Morey an idiot for not resigning a guy who had "helped us so much".

Michael Beasley is not the hill to die on. Trust me...if they want Beasley back, they will be able to get him at some point. Beasley is going to require moving a mountain to obtain because he's. or all that.

3. varughese.arun

James Harden runs Houston Rockets.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dragic was a 2nd Rounder. Those Morey does pretty well in picks and trades. @Mr. Clutch was talking about first rounders.

And both Lowry and Dragic were acquired by trading our starting PGs. Alston for Lowry and Brooks for Dragic. The Dragic trade was really Brooks for a 1st Rounder ... Dragic was a secondary piece of the trade.

We are falling into semantics here. The point was Morey experiments to acquire first rounder still on rookie-scale contracts without a major trade (defined by me as no starters were traded) have failed to produce what he had hoped.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

So we basically get rid of a 27 year old in his prime, on a vet minimum contract ($1m), who can score in bunches, needs to be doubled, and possibly 6th man of the year for nothing? Doesn't make sense. You guys understand that if Harden is out of the game and if injury prone Gordon is out we have no playmakers? Unless you all want Ariza, Anderson, Capela, and Prigioni taking contested mid range fadeaways, 3 pointers, hookshots.

Brown Witjer whoever the hell these scrubs you guys want on the team won't even smell the court and are competing for the bench warmer/cheer-leading duties.

J.R. likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ok. You think Beasley would make a big difference here. I don't. I'm not going to keep going back and forth about Michael f'n Beasley though. This isn't a seismic move. Even if he could help, the degree of help he'd provide is not enough for me to cry over.

I'll just agree to disagree and move on.

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When he said triple chin I thought he was referring to DD

8. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Aside from the debate over Beasley's productivity, this was a bad trade because we ended up getting NO VALUE. Beasley's contract is somewhere around 1.8 million dollars. I personally believe he could have helped this team or at least been an insurance policy in the case of injury. Unless you view saving less than 2 million in cap space, a time where the cap is rising rapidly, I don't understand how you can spin this as a anything but a bad trade on Morey's part.

9. craguin

craguin Member

Correct, Rockets are still obligated to pay Ennis' 2016-17 salary if he clears waivers [CBA FAQ #65]:
    ----------
    The player stays "on waivers" for 48 hours (including weekends and holidays), during which time other teams may claim the player and assume his contract. If no team has claimed the player before the end of the waiver period (which is always 5:00 PM Eastern Time), he "clears waivers." The player's contract is terminated and he becomes a free agent. [...]

If the player clears waivers he becomes a free agent, and is free to sign with the team of his choice [...]
    The waiving team continues to pay the guaranteed portion of the terminated contract
    ----------

#109 craguin, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I can agree with that, but Carrol and Lowry were still on rookie scale contracts (late picks making your point more valid). The Thabeet, Carrol for Battier trade landed us Carrol who was a first pick. The thing is Thabeet was the player everyone believed in, but Carrol eventually turned into a max player.

I agree, the perceived value of trading for a former first pick still on a rookie deal is much higher than trading for a second round pick. That is why teams are more easy to let go of 2nd picks if they complain about not getting enough minutes (due to having a Mike Conley or a Steve Nash) while they only get rid of a first pick because they suck. Chances are they wouldn't spend a lottery pick on a position Nash or Conley had covered, so they were given opportunities to succeed and busted.

#110 Brown Lost It, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We know that Beasley is a ball stopper and MDA wants a fluid offense with ball movement and pick and roll. It is what it is.

Beasley served a purpose on "last year's team" because there wasn't a cohesive offense and they just needed scorers to score. Beasley was fun, but it wasn't efficient.

12. hakeemthagreat

Ok. Fair game.Just keep in mind there aren't a NBA teams full of superstars. Injuries occur during the season, and you need bench players that can immediately contribute. His track record is better than anybody's you can name that's available

13. hvic

hvic Member

at this point brown making the team is purely donkey poo. He does not add any value or help the team. I thought when Harden was recruiting for the team I didnt know he wanted a scrub

varughese.arun likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

There's your answer, Beasley fans.

15. hakeemthagreat

JR Smith was a ballstopper and now he's a NBA champion. You can't put labels on guys because they can simply score. Talent is talent. Beasley is talented and we traded him for someone who has zero talent. We traded a guy who could possibly score 20pts any given night, for a basically nothing. Bad decision

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't get it. Ennis wasn't great, but he seemed like the kind of blandly competent offensive caretaker you hang on to if your only other bench guard is 39 years old.

Maybe I just haven't opened my eyes to Brown yet, but all I saw with him is a run-of-the-mill D-League volume scorer.

(Neither one should be the primary backup point guard, so I'm not really steamed about it, just a little confused.)

Good for Wiltjer though for making it this far, I like him.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We didn't keep Demarre Carroll, so he fits in Mr. Clutch's statemetn. Not seeing how that was a Rockets success anymore than the Jordan Hill trade with TMac. Carroll got cut like 3 other times by teams after we cut him, so didn't work out how we hoped.

As for Lowry, again I'm just trying to see if there is a pattern here. I further refined Mr Clutch's point by saying we traded our starting PG for Lowry. So that wasn't an experiment type trade. Lowry had known value, as he was in a platooning battle with Conley...and many MEM fans were arguing who should start....so we gave up our starting PG, who became the starter of a NBA Finals team that year -- ORL

If you accept my criteria defining Experiment trades as not requiring us to trade a starter, then I think that was the point Mr Clutch was trying to make...and I'd agree with that.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  18. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Seeing people talk about injuries and how we need Beasley but Michael is rarely healthy all the time himself....

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Beasley is a cancer, his only contribution is to his own stats.

20. Nook

Nook Member

MDA didn't want Beasley on the Rockets.

End of discussion.

When MDA decides he doesn't like a particular player, they don't play and they don't contribute.

Ask Nate Robinson, Eddy Curry, Darko Milicic and Chris Duhon.

Deuce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.