1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Waived

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sabesque

sabesque Member

How so? I'm not trying to challenge your opinion I just legitimately want to hear from people who have thoughts on why Ty has been so bad this year

2. basketballholic

Wide open. No telling.

But if I were Morey, I'd get Les and James and have a serious, serious heart-to-heart with both men about how to build a championship team and play championship basketball.

Morey knows. He knows. He knows. He's trying to make this work. But there's no doubt in my mind he knows. He knows that we aren't going to win a championship as long as James is running the offense from the top all the time. Because James, very simply, is not a great playmaker. James forces the play too much and he turns it over too much in the process. And Morey already knows it.

IF......Morey cannot convince James to allow a great playmaking point guard to break down the D and run pick and roll with James working off the ball (that kind of offense would be so devastating), THEN we aren't going to win a championship in the Harden era. It's that simple. It's not about replacing Dwight. It's not about getting more guys that play defense and get steals. We CANNOT play good enough defense to defend against all Harden's turnovers.

So.....that's where I would start if I were Morey and I'd deal with the fallout from there. He's got to get Harden to BUY IN to having a great playmaking point guard beside him who can break down any defense, has an array of passing skills, and most importantly TAKES CARE OF THE BASKETBALL.

If Morey gains buy-in from Harden, then it's go get the right coach and the right point guard.

But if Harden doesn't buy-in, or if Morey decides to IGNORE what he knows to be true and keep attempting to overcome Harden's turnovers with the Ariza's, Beverleys, and Brewers getting steals to balance out Harden's turnovers but on the other side of the court continuing to make us a one-trick pony because of how limited they are offensively, then we're just going to recycle back up to somewhere around 3-6 in the playoffs next season with a rebuild and another most likely second round exit (that is if we don't get knocked out in the first).

Even if we add Durant....we just becomes the South Thunder. Durant is another high-turnover guy like Harden. Acquiring Durant puts even more pressure on our system to acquire a true 2-way point guard that can create shots and can defend his position and make a difference on the defensive end.

3. Pirytic

Pirytic Member

Morey should be fired. Gives up a lottery protected first round pick for a few month failed experiment. The worst part is going to be when Ty Lawson goes somewhere that he is interested in and plays like how the Rockets wanted him to play. It's on Ty to have the mentality of a winner even if he feels like he's in a losing situation.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree, Ty will do significantly better wherever he goes.

Having said that, it's pretty easy to do well when you can pretty much hand pick your team and coach and rotation. 15-20 teams would pick Lawson up for the minimum.

5. Ranny

Ranny Member

Well the bar is pretty ****ing low, Ty cannot do much worse than how he did here so saying he will do better somewhere else is not exactly rocket science, its to be expected.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Marcus Thornton's 32pts is like happening yesterday, but now he is waived.

And it turns to Ty Lawson.

The "Coach is not that important" attitude makes all of this be in a mess...

7. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Fair enough. I could be wrong but I truly think our coaching staffs inability to let him run the offense, get him into open space, and run pick and rolls with Dwight diminished his abilities.

I think after that he went into a funk. Harden holding the ball for 22 seconds would kill any point guard

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

TY has checked himself out. He has no confidence

9. TISNF

TISNF Member

I thought he got out of rehab months ago.

10. jlwee

jlwee Member

Everyone thought we had a great steal and it turned out we stole a faulty goods which never worked.

With Lawson, Thorton and Dekker(injured) all gone and unavailable, basically the whole last summer was completely wasted.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It appears he's still there mentally

12. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

if he gets into shape, and has the right coach, he could be above average again imo

13. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

We now saw why Denver did not want him before the season started last year. Denver is laughing at us for acquiring him.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

McCallum and Putney

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That would make this season worth it, lol

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Sure Lawson will do better on another team but that team will suck and not be in the playoffs... He can put up numbers when he is a top option but you wont have a good team if Ty is the top option.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

the lawson buyout didn't even get a secondary headline on nba.com.....WCF to irrelevant.

18. rockets13champs

No one gives a **** about houston. Dallas gets much more media love

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

They care whenever they can hate on Dwight for clicks..

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ty Lawson at some point decided to stop trying and gave up. He's not as awful as he has been playing, but he is not that good.

This is a combo of a player who doesn't fit and a player who is on the decline.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/ty-lawson/

When you are forecasted to be nothing great, you are coming off a season where you had an alcohol problem, and you might still have one.

Might explain why your numbers suck Ty!