1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson says Rockets told him "there is no truth" to rumors he is being shopped

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. DMO (DJ remix)

He doesn't have much value, not many teams need pg's and he got some well documented issues, so it's really no sense to trade him unless you get something good back which you won't. Rockets have been playing better as of late, which you can partially attribute to Ty. I'm pretty sure that as long as Rockets keep improving or see signs of Ty being able to make team better his staying.

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sorry, Clutch, Steve Kyler already beat you to the punch with his flip flop scoop.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">

Despite a sense from others that Ty Lawson could be had from the Rockets - sources close to situation say Rockets not looking at deals.</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/672105428919181312">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But there are always trade rumors, and the well-connected Steve Kyler over at BasketballInisiders.com had an interesting one — the Houston Rockets might be open to moving Ty Lawson.

The Rockets have been sniffing around the league for deals and there is a belief among other teams that Lawson could be had in trade, and had cheaply. Lawson is owed $12.4 million this season with the final $13.21 million of his deal being fully non-guaranteed.

3. Raven

Raven Member

What else can he say? Exactly.

4. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

They can´t say other things, that´s true.

But also, Morey did bet on Lawson, while I expect him and the rockets to look for deals since we have played so bad and we have a losing record, I also don´t expect him to go ahead with any moves until the team plays with Motiejunas.

I´m not expecting Dmo to average 20 and 10, but his game both in the post and from the 3pt line is a real different aspect of the game this team has not right now.

I´m sure most of us would be thinking the same thing. Hang on until we have everybody back, work through the issues and hope everybody else keep taking wins away from each other.

5. ibm

ibm Member

yeah exactly.

we havent had a good (or even just normal) true pg for quite some time now. that's why many got excited last night.

just hope his good play continues.

the thing is, his defense is even worse than what i'd heard. if he plays extended minutes, starter or backup, we're gonna see bigger holes on the 1 and 2 position, unless somehow he and harden (or at least one of them) can up the d.

6. CertifiedTroll

What else can he say? He can say absolutely nothing.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But saying nothing can be more damning than the GM double-talk.

When Morey was approached with questions about McHale's future as the coach, he demurred; but, in that case, to be fair, they were days away from canning the guy, so it wouldn't have done much good to circle-jerk with the press.

"Not being shopped" can be so much. Certainly they need Lawson's head on straight for however long he's here, whether one day or four more seasons. "Not being shopped...........(1) but hey, if someone makes us a good offer [or] (2) because your value right now is low and I always win a trade (Keanu Reeves in "Devil's Advocate" voice) because THAT'S WHAT I DO! I WIN!" Whatever.

In any case, let's hope he continues to give us what he gave last night.

8. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Good. Didn't like the Nets deal at all, thought it was way too early to give up on Ty. This isn't a guy who had 1 good year, Ty is a proven talent. If nothing else, he is a big expiring contract, which aligns with our interests anyways. Last night was a good demonstration of how important a second ball handler is - when Harden isn't going off we need someone else who can make plays.

If Ty is hurting the locker room, however, let him go. But I'm not convinced that is the case. Still too early in my opinion.

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

He should be more worried if he were playing well. Morey don't trade players when their value's down :cool:

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Bold statement - considering Les' threat from the day before...

1 person likes this.
  11. Rox4life1986

Rox4life1986 Member

Well.... I guess the Rockets are telling him the truth

12. malakas

malakas Member

Because of the extent that Billy King's FO leaks and that he doesn't play "games" by leaking fake stuff I fully believe Cyber over this news. Don't know if they lied to Lawson straight up, or he lied so himself or whatever but I am certain that such a convo between BKN and HOU has happened very recently.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I wouldnt imagine an NBA player come out and say yeah theyre talking about trading me. Has one ever come out and say publically?

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its so early in the year, and since the trade season doesn't even open for another 10 days or so there is good reason why the Rockets can come to him and say there is no truth to the rumors.

Because a trade will NOT happen anytime soon if it happens at all. They likely are having very little conversations of merit that will turn into anything.

The Rockets either way aren't lying to Ty. He's not getting traded for some time and any rumors out there likely have very little ground to walk on.

(I know I know... Cyberx's Brooklyn rumor... I get it, but that trade proposal can't even happen from a cap matching perspective. It shows very little that we don't already know. Brooklyn is shopping for PG upgrades that don't cost a max contract, and the Rockets are open to talking to anyone about future deals)

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

The only reason to think there was anything to this is the tenuous situation created by Alexander's recent comments.

Lawson not meeting expectations early on seems mostly due to deferring to Harden. Harden has to have touches. But Calvin Murphy pointed out in the post-game analysis last night that Harden's play last night afforded more touches to other players. Lawson being Lawson, a la Denver, conflicts with the Harden of last season, which is, probably, instinctive to Harden.

Who else was available during the off-season that filled the "bill" as well as Lawson? It wouldn't make sense to give up on a relative rarity like Lawson at this juncture. But then logic has not characterized recent events. So, who knows? It think Les Alexander's latest gauntlet was more to get the attention of certain players. We can speculate who that might be, but we may never really know. The fact remains that Harden played "differently" enough last night that allowed Lawson to seem more like the Denver Lawson. Was it because Lawson felt more free to play his game regardless of who was on the floor? You can't argue with his assist history.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. There's the "last-season Harden" way and there's the "Denver Lawson" way. Finding out how to have them coexist is what needs to be solved.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Trading him will be a huge step back for this team. You're going to get a poo poo platter.

integrating Ty into the team along with James is the only way this team becomes successful come playoff time.

Yesterday was a start but Ty has to continue to be aggressive offensively and not defer to James every possession. Meanwhile Harden has to learn to play a bit more fof the ball, a few cuts to the basket, a few spot up 3's

17. onreego

onreego Member

Trading Ty now, I think, would be a mistake. Brewer and Jones on the other hand...

18. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Agreed. Harden wouldn't get so tired playing 40 minutes if he doesn't have to handle the ball and run the offense so much.

19. malakas

malakas Member

It can happen with other parts and using the TPE that expires by 11 december. So in contrary to your post if a trade wtih BKN is going to happen is going to happen soon.
    And I doubt the Rockets even had serious discussions with other teams about Lawson because I doubt anyone else shows interest in him in the first place.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

12 mil NON-guaranteed next year contract.... yeah teams will have interest all day talking about the CONTRACT.

Now Ty Lawson the player... it remains to be seen, but last night shows that its probably not physical, and its likely situational. The guy didn't just forget how to play the game. The Rondo/Dallas/to Sacramento sitution shows more proof of situational point guards you can snag at a reasonable cost if you got the guts to make the deal and buy low.

Off the court, Ty is now being linked to John Lucas in a mentor role. There haven't been any reports of missteps since coming to Houston.

If I was -

-Brooklyn
    -Knicks
    -Milwaukee
    -Utah

and maybe even
    -Chicago
    -Charlotte
    &
    -Philly

I'd be interested in Ty Lawson discussions, but there are plenty more teams that could look at the Lawson contract as a gold mine for moving contracts to prep a better cap situation going into next Summer. Those teams also could see a trial period for the rest of the year with Ty. If he turns it around worst case scenario we get a solid top 10 pg. Worst case scenario we free up cap space this next year, and move some long term contracts.

...............................................................................

I don't know why everyone is so convinced its happening "soon". Why? What's the point NOT waiting till trade season opens up? The Rockets have all the reason in the world to wait. They are significantly downgrading the talent in a trade like this, and it would essentially be a salary decision. Why the hell not wait to see if something clicks in the next 3 weeks?

For the Nets, they have some urgency to get good quicker, but with waiting till the 15th they will have alot more options at getting better deals for more players if they just hold on a couple weeks. Even a "throw in" salary player could be beneficial to wait around for.

No offense but I think folks around here are just trade crazy, and get excited about this stuff. Its fine... I do too to some extent, but its Dec 3rd. Most of us should have enough sense to realize that its 12 more days till trade season opens up, and there is very low likelihood of deals happening now.

Although YES... I'm 100% sure that "teams are talking". Of course they are talking. They always talk. That's what they get paid to do.

#60 dobro1229, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015