1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson on trading block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 18, 2015.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Not that JVG matters, but he's got a good NBA mind. I heard an interview from him very recently that said he thinks there is no way Ty moves because there's absolutely no market for a 12 million dollar a year player that's doing less than half of what they did the year before. Not to mention the offseason worries that clubs have. I felt like he was saying, 'integrate or sit tight because they're the only legit options'. The whole interview sounded logical.

The way I look at it, if Ty has 3 or 4 good games in a row, it will ignite trust in his teammates and the integration will happen from there. It's all on Ty to play for his teammate's trust. Trust gets him the contract he needs this offseason to continue his career and he gets to play more of the game he loves.

Ramp it up, Ty!

2. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I hope JVG is right. It just doesn't seem like a Morey move to sell a player when he is at his absolute lowest value. Unless he is a part of something big, I think we need to make this work. At the end of the day, Harden is going to have to learn to play with another playmaker. Come playoff time, we are still going to be in need of another guy who can create for himself. I'm not saying Ty isn't at fault for his lack of production, he is to blame as well. But this is something that can and needs to be fixed. I have a hard time believing someone as talented as Ty can just forget how to play basketball over night. It seems like the team is starting to click now. We have seen the team start to make a conscious effort to get Dwight involved, hopefully we can now do the same with Ty.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No market for Ty. Unless there is some deal out there where a team wants to shed salary for next season (which also plays into "teams having offseason worries".

No, I don't know what team this would be or what player (forestalling a malakas response? :) ), but most of Morey's moves, if there is a move to be made, come out of left field anyway.

4. malakas

malakas Member

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Maybe David Lee! I hope. Maybe throw them a mid second rounder to get it done.

5. JVL713

IDK, Morey doesn't usually go for 6'9 PFs :cool:

6. Mr Chuck Norris

your gimmick would've been better if you were here when we had Nick Johnson

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't think you can trade ty period unless it's for a very bad player on a longer term deal. Why do that when ty is and expiring contract?

That is one of the big perks I will admit to any team willing to take him.

Best case scenario would be brewer/ty/kj for Carmelo Anthony.

Doubt NYC would do this but if they were trying to get out of Melo deal this would be a way to shed half his salary in one offseason. Kj and brew would also be movable pieces in the next years on team friendly deals.

I think we need to get Ty playing good as a Rocket, We're going to need him come playoff times. He's dynamic when he's on, just need to get him there and comfortable.

It on JB,JH and DH to do this no one else. There the team captains they make the calls, time to get Ty Lawson integrated and ready for a serious playoff run

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade market for Ty Lawson minimal, putting Rockets in seller's mode

9. ibm

ibm Member

sometimes things just dont work out, for whatever reason. not much you can do but let go.

this will probably go down as one of morey's worst acquisitions.

i know it's meaningless, but sometimes i wonder what if we signed rondo this past summer...

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rival GMs and executives are idiots if they think Lawson will need picks to be dumped or he will be waived.

Amazing to me that people that work in these organizations STILL don't understand the power of a non guaranteed contract, especially one this large.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I said it the other day that we shouldn't be shocked at all if Morey outweights keeping Lawson for the cap flexibility he means to the Rockets as an expiring contract Vs. taking back bad salary in a deal such as the Nets deal.

A trade for Lawson just isn't that likely unless Philly wants to take a shot at him, or if another team wants to take a gamble on Lawson as a backup.... which didn't work out for Houston so why would another team do it???

Keeping Lawson & waiving him this Summer could result in a great ability to rebuild if necessary.

-If the Rockets let these Dwight, Lawson, Jones (rights to Terry & Thornton) they could be sitting right around 49 million against a cap of 70 million. Morey could add several players or a max player with 21 mil to burn, AND resign Motiejunas.

If Dwight opts in we are over the cap just barely. You could find a way to move a combination of Ariza, Brewer, or KJ to open up cap space you'd have to think fairly easily, and then resign Donatas. They could be an avenue to go out and sign a nice mid-sized contract player and keep in tact your entire team.

Of course these options are really only available if you are able to simply wipe away the Lawson contract next year. If you were to move him for say Jack, and Bogdanovic, you are looking at NOT having max cap space IF Dwight opts out, and signs elsewhere, and you are looking at NOT being able to maneuver much at all to sign anyone in that mid-level to 10 mil a year range.

So IMO moving Lawson for contracts of meh players really wouldn't work for me if I'm Morey. It puts me in a situation to ultimately be stuck again with this unit next year. I'd like the idea of having max space to play with as a fail safe if Dwight leaves to recoup quickly rather than waiting another year.

So yeah... a Lawson trade... while it makes sense RIGHT NOW, is more complicated because his expiring on THIS TEAM is actually kind of valuable THIS SUMMER.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Is the Lawson problem a fit issue with the Rockets or is it a Mental issue with Lawson generally?

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Uh.....yes.

Twice.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Jvg has overlooked one important factor. Ty Lawson's contract is no longer guaranteed after this season. There are pg's on teams that could very well want to trade a pg looking for a fresh start or on their somewhat decline to get a young pg like Lawson. With the emergence of Schroeder, i wouldn't be surprised to see Teague made available for him. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Sacramento made a push for him to reunite him with Karl. Someone is going to want Lawson and unless we see miraculous improvements this team team does not want him.

16. JVL713

Schroeder said he wanted out if he wasn't starting, didn't he? I would be happy with either Hawks pg

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Perfect. C's then have a roster with what, 7 1s??? :rolleyes:

18. malakas

malakas Member

oh so you saying that the Rockets would be willing to take bad contracts that are not expiring back to trade Lawson?
    Because if they are there are many teams that would be willing to trade for Lawson and his expiring.
    Pekovic, Calderon for starters.

But no. You want not to only to send away his expiring but take back another expiring contract/s. And your idea about Teague available for Lawson is simply ludicrous. And Shroeder has regressed this year.
    And Sac is extremely happy with Rondo who has become budies with their headcase Cousins and Boogie said he would kidnap Rondo to get him to resign there.

19. malakas

malakas Member

1s? Smart, IT and then Rozier in D-league. Bradley and Hunter are not playmakers.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS">@KBergCBS</a>: Trade market for Ty Lawson minimal, putting Rockets in seller's mode
    <a href="https://t.co/RTchG5dYv7">https://t.co/RTchG5dYv7</a> <a href="https://t.co/4QXhrC960t">pic.twitter.com/4QXhrC960t</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports NBA (@CBSSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/679344265516871680">December 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>