1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Arrested for DUI

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PersianRocket, Jul 14, 2015.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, there's a reason the intoxication tests are a little more substantial than that.

2. hakeemthagreat

If I'm Morey, I HAVE TO make this move. Yes any player arrested twice in one year is huge risk. But if you trade for him without giving up Bev, then worst case scenario we still can compete without him. Its a win win. Now that his trade value is low, we outta jump on this. Bring him to Houston and have john Lucas work with him

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

Yeah he's been arrested... but at least he's not scared of flying

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

lol +1... if only it were that easy...

5. malakas

malakas Member

do you really think he will serve time in jail? Celebrities are most of the times off the hook for things like these. The Morris beat up a guy to the hospital and they are still free to walk.

It will be almost impossible to void his contract- unless there is something written there about alcohol related incidents.
    I knwo because Larry got busted 3 times for weed by the league, and had off court issues and Mil couldn't void his contract. The NBPA won't stand up for this, they rejected a void of contract even when a player choked his coach.
    However they can mandate a rehab and unless he fullfills the requirements he won't get paid a dime. And heavilly fine him.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I live in California and law enforcement here takes DUI very seriously, probably among the harshest in the nation. If they have any suspicion that someone is driving under the influence (smell alcohol, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, or you admit to having drinks), they won't hesitate to do field sobriety tests. They're not going to let you drive home just because you're nice and friendly. Honestly, why should they?

It doesn't matter if you're under the limit, they can still arrest you and have your car towed if, to their best judgement, you were driving under the influence. I've had enough friends and acquaintances get busted for DUI to think I could ever get out of it. They're nobodies, not celebrities. And what they all had in common is that they were all drinking. Once the officer pulls you over, it's too late. Pray to God you're way under the limit or get ready for your day in court. Cops here are DUI robots.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Denver Nuggets considering waiving Ty Lawson after latest DUI arrest, per <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a> sources. Lawson has two years, $25.6 mil left on contract.</p>&mdash; Mitch Lawrence (@Mitch_Lawrence) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/621061780647718912">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Most Americans would consider Lawson rich. Why the fool doesn't have a driver is ridiculous. And 2 DWI's in 6 months? In Texas, you'd be worrying one hell of a lot about the consequences. Sure, Lawson's a "celebrity," but as others have said, DWI's/DUI's are considered a much bigger deal now than they were years ago. You can bet that his attorney is worried. If he's waived and we can get him, I'd take the risk, but Morey would be a fool to take on his current contract, and he's no fool. As someone mentioned a while ago (sorry, can't remember your moniker and too many cervezas to go back and find the post - don't worry, I'm not driving on vacation on a tiny island where most drivers are partying tourists or cab drivers), the organization turned Josh's career around, a guy many considered a problem player, if for different reasons (and unfairly, in my opinion). This would be a great spot for Lawson to turn things around, if we get him and he's interested in being turned around.

1 person likes this.
  9. hlcc

hlcc Member

This is his 4th DUI in 7 years and the 2nd in a 6 month period. Sure sounds like an alcoholic to me.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know fellow Rocket Rafer Alston had one of those DUIs as well

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What you state is fair, but I was speaking strictly about alcohol related incidents.

http://www.madd.org/blog/2014/december/2013-drunk-driving-fatalities.html
    2014 has still not been posted.

Harris county leads the nation in alcohol related deaths. It is estimated that there are more than a million drunk drivers a year in Harris county alone.

http://m.chron.com/neighborhood/cyf...tops-DWI-fatalities-for-large-U-S-1725511.php