1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX Vehicle Insurance Rate Increase?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Aug 2, 2008.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I am up for a policy renewal with Allstate. My rate is going up from 67/month to 91/month. The only reason the phone agent gave me was a statewide insurance policy increase earlier this year. I've had no tickets or accidents in the last three years and I am 28 years old.

After hearing this, I did an online quote with Geico just to check to see if what the phone agent said was crap and the quote I got from Geico was 13 dollars more monthly than my current renewal rate.

Has anyone else's insurance rate gone up 40% like mine has?

2. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I've been with allstate for 15 years and this month they told me my rates were about to increase drastically - no real reason (no tickets, etc)

i shopped around and got a much better deal at Geico - so i switched.

odd that you had the opposite effect with Geico.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I bet it has something to do with the underwriting and the financial meltdown that is going on. I couldn't say what exactly...

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Minimum coverage has gone up to 25/50/25 - thus the price increase.

5. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I thought the 2003 tort reform was going to reduce insurance rates? I'm shocked to hear your rates are going up.

Shop around. Someone will beat that rate. Allstate is terrible as are most insurance companies.

6. Classic

Classic Member

I'm an independent agent. I have been saving people a ton of money on their auto and home insurance. I use to use Farmers, rewrote my policy and am saving about $70 a month. My parents are with Allstate and I just shopped their home and auto and I'm saving them about $1200 a year. I just wrote a client of mine (I also do personal training part time) a new home and auto policy as well as a $1 million umbrella policy and saved her $1100 a year. If you guys want to save money on your insurance, I'm more than sure I can help ;) Having an extra $100 in your pocket a month at a time when inflation is hitting us hard is always nice.

btw, reasons vary...
    1) Lots of the big companies were exposed to loses during the hurricanes, they feel Harris county is a big risk and want to charge more in anticipation of catastrophic loses
    2) With Allstate, Farmers or StateFarm, you're paying for their advertisements. A lot of people think they are a better product but it's just because they advertise. I sell Allstate as well but I'd rather give you a better product for your money.
    3) As somebody mentioned, liability limits increased to 25/50 and will increase again soon.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Mine actually dropped by $5.00 this past month. Of course, it helps when your cousin is your state farm agent.

8. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

As the same benefeit of having a fellow clutch BBS'er (you) who has a cousin who is your state farm agent???

;) ;) ;)

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My insurance (with Geico) went up $4 over the last time we renewed, but even with that slight increase, it's almost $60 cheaper than when we started with Geico a couple of years ago.