1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX School scorecard: masking vs virtual classes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rileydog, Aug 13, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If our government won’t protect children from assault style weapons what makes us surprised that the won’t protect them from dying of COVID?

The GOP is heartless, and selfish, how very in-Christian.

DD

VooDooPope, ROCKSS, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

24 reported cases in Lewisville the first 1.5 weeks, and 276 reported last week. 0 cases in both my son's middle school and daughter's elementary school. I call bulls..t.

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

durvasa and Dream Sequence like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It will take a variant that kills kids at a relatively high rate to get the dumb MFs to take COVID seriously.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have an 11 year old son. If I were able to do you think I should give him a vaccine?

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If Doctors and the CDC recommend it.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Are they currently doing that for ages 12 and up? I got vaxxed months ago but that was more to increase the odds of being negative at the airport come back for a trip. I am very hesitant for some reason giving my son a dose.

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Always go with your gut and intuition my friend. I'm no anti-vaxxer, but this strong of a push for a virus with a greater than 99% survival rate doesn't sit well with me.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You should be hesitant. It wasn't made or tested for kids yet. I'd call the doctor or ask where he gets his news for these kinds of approvals.

Vax/no vax for kids is definitely a crapshoot in terms of certainty. With Delta, we can't be sure of similar covid behavior from last year.

Just my unscientific and mostly unhelpful 2 cents.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

12 and up are approved. Vaccines for younger ages have been in trials and testing and will likely be available in the fall

might have something to do with the 600,000 + dead in the country and a virus that’s effected the whole world for a year and a half, but who knows maybe your ‘gut’ will figure it out

#70 Coach AI, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it’s 12+ now. Likely will be approved for EU for kids 5-11 this fall.

Definitely talk to your kid doctor about it. There are virologists and dr who put their under 12 kids in the mRNA clinical trials so they have a chance to be vaccinated. So be prepared that they will likely very strongly recommend the shot.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ine-children-under-12-your-questions-answered

At the moment, it looks like the Pfizer vaccine will be the first shot available to children under 12. The vaccine-maker expects to have enough data by the end of September to support an emergency use authorization for its vaccine in children who are ages 5 to 11.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

There were a number of school districts that met yesterday... Fort Bend announces mandates...

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I got my oldest (14) vaccinated the 1st day I could. They had vaccinations at the school the next week.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'm glad my kids are grown. It's tough enough that my youngest is in college.

I worry about my grandkids, but that's out of my hands. It would be nerve wracking to have school-age children.

VooDooPope and steddinotayto like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Do you take a flu shot?

DD

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny how they can write a whole article on a study not being able to prove something. Not being able to prove it is not the same as disproving it. Also, I'd like to hear what these deleterious effects of mask-wearing actually are.

I also have an 11 year old, actually 2. If I could get a back alley vaccine for them, I would. They'll get it on their birthday though. I really don't understand the hesitancy. How much damage do you think this shot could possibly do? Putting them in a car or letting them swim in a pool is probably a more dangerous decision.

Rashmon likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think the article ever claims to disprove mask effectiveness for kids. I mean, just look at the article title. Is it not ok to say that the argument in favor isn't exactly iron-clad?

As for what are potential issues for wearing masks for little kids, that is addressed in the article towards the end: the social / facial cues that are important to the development of young kids.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I am not a big medicine person in general. I currently take no prescriptions and am healthy. Besides antibiotics on a few occasions I have never had prescriptions prescribed. Except for a hernia surgery a while back and didn’t finish the bottle. I don’t take Tylenol or Aleve but maybe twice a year if I feel crappy I just deal with it. I’ve never had a flu shot etc etc

As far as my son he is pretty much as healthy as one could be. His lungs are good enough to be on the precipice of making the Austin FC youth team, and is currently on the ECNL-pre A team and a AAU bball team.

He has had his other vaccines of course. I am hesitant though to put that in his body solely based on his need and well-being I could give less than two F’s about anyone else when it has to do with him.

On a side note I had zero side effects from the vaccine personally. I hope I am not coming off as ignorant or dumb. That is though my perspective and where I am coming from.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure why the natural compromise of forced horse medicine for kids isn't being championed on the right.

VooDooPope likes this.