1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX mask mandate lifted soon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Mar 2, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the spike rises after this Abbott and Cruz will just blame it on immigrants crossing the border.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    This is big -- someone needs to LEAD and Texas is the perfect candidate. There is no data whatsoever that proves that any policy interventions have helped stop the spread. No data at all. The elderly and infirm are now getting their vaccines, and those of us who are not at-risk SHOULD be out living our lives. Masks create a significant psychological impact and will delay society returning to normal. These delays have a very pernicious impact on mental health, the economy, food security for families, and many other important social factors. The time has come where wearing a mask is more damaging to society than not wearing one. Good for Governor Abbott for being courageous enough to LEAD. Society moves forward.

SuraGotMadHops and Roc Paint like this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Now you’re learning

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Let freedom reign

5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I miss hooping too. I'll be wearing my mask for sure. Managed to finally get on the CVS list for appointments in Seabrook, TX. Got two appts, thank God. Still, our governor is a moron.

HP3 and Reeko like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Right. Let's start packing the Toyota Center and concerts and see how crowds don't affect the spread.

Numbers will come down, no mask mandate, numbers will go up, mask mandate, numbers will come down....

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Its intentional.
    I suspect he thinks this will affect urban areas most.
    Areas that don't support him and his agenda
    He is just an evil vile person

Rocket River

cheke64 and TWS1986 like this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Shouldn't the thread title be "TX mask mandate pulled down past chin soon?"

jiggyfly and ROCKSS like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What Abbott is doing is making Texans fight with each other. This guy is a hack, but he's a smart hack. He knows exactly what he's doing. He wants a political fight. He wants viral videos of a libtard at Petsmart yelling at a redneck ******* breathing down her neck and coughing all over the place.

This is a disgusting attempt to make us fight with each other. Fu$k this guy.

Lar, Rocket River and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The asian discrimination needs to stop.

Roc Paint and TWS1986 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’ve been of the mindset that it’s every man or woman for themselves for many months now...just can’t rely on these government officials to do the right thing

jiggyfly and TWS1986 like this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Florida has not been maskless. I have noticed a trend when cases go up, almost everyone wears a mask. As it goes down, people are less concerned. People still take it serious, they are just not treating it likes its a high probable death sentence. The only thing im really critical of is the poorly ventilated indoor dining areas. Nobody wears masks inside restaurants.

jiggyfly and tinman like this.
  13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

No one should look to the government to protect them, unless it is from foreign armies. Everyone has a personal responsibility to protect themselves. It should not be the government's responsibility, and how pathetic must you be at managing your life's affairs that you must rely on the government for assistance in this regard? Ending a state's mask mandate does not mean that you have to stop wearing your own mask or taking any precautions you feel necessary. You can continue to do so. If you want to self-quarantine, you can do it. If you want to wear a double mask, then you are free to do so. That does not change. If you are scared of a redneck breathing on you at Walmart, then do not go to Walmart. If you are scared of the margarita machine at Teotihuacan giving you COVID, then please do us a favor and do not eat there. It is really that simple. Take responsibility for your own health.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's because they can't eat with masks on.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really mean this? There have been actual studies conducted on this, so I'm not sure why you are calling it glorified guesswork. A few countries have been able to keep it relatively under control.

The issue in the states has been that every state was doing something different. Borders have stayed open domestically, so regardless of the efforts of one state trying to reduce the spread, it may be impacted if individuals are able to enter that state carrying the disease. Social distancing + masks do not guarantee not transmitting the disease, but does at least reduce the chances drastically.

I'm all about choice and freedom, my issue is that individuals are not good at calculating the risks they take. A lot of them depend on being told what to do and how to do it, otherwise, they will make the wrong choices. Some people don't understand the science. Of course, a disjointed message never helps either, which is what we had in this country as a whole. We had an opportunity to keep it under control in this country, but we failed to collaborate to make that work. Trump spread one message, some governors spread another, then mayors spread another. I mean, it was never one cohesive message.

So here we are, at this moment. I'm sure it could of been a hell of a lot worse around here, but our efforts as a country, this is what we got. 500,000 in one year, thankfully it wasn't 2,000,000+ because some efforts were made, but it would of been nice not to be at 500,000. I know to conservatives, individuals don't really matter to you guys. Your thinking is, well, only 1% are dying, so who gives a ****. It's no different then when there are mass shootings and you look the other way, because the percentages are so low. Or what about when innocent people are killed via capital punishment, but you know, who cares, as long as we catch the bad guys the majority of the time, a few mistakes here and there don't matter. My point, conservatives may claim to be sympathetic, but they sure as hell don't ****ing show it. I get it though, thoughts and prayers for the family's that lost family members too early because thoughts and prayers and some fake deity will make it all better.

deb4rockets and HP3 like this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of why masks are worn. And your argument sounds like one a toddler may make. Up you maturity level before re-engaging in this conversation.

Nook and HP3 like this.
  17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Don’t we have a new president? I expected this to be dealt with at the national level. Politically, this is the correct move from a republican governor. Other than a bunch more people dying (with no way to ever pin any of it on Abbot.....at least in his political lifetime), I don’t see any downside for him.

18. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Junk science. Population density, ventilation, amount of time spent indoors, obesity rates are all much more important drivers of the spread of the virus than wearing a mask.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm sorry but when did Florida become something that Texans should want to aspire to be like when it comes to anything relate to covid? Even if most people are not idiots doesn't mean that the idiots that do reside there aren't a mockery for the state. Then there is Florida's leadership... is that anything Texans should be okay with?

Being compared to Florida in 2020/2021 isn't necessarily anyones ambition man.

Nook likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Correct move = let the cities decide. Alleviates him of blame from either side.

HP3 likes this.