1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX mask mandate lifted soon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Mar 2, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I’m in Texas. Why Hasn’t COVID-19 Killed Me?”

[...]

What Democrats might be shocked to learn is that even without a statewide mask mandate, people still wore masks and took precautions. Businesses still required their customers to socially distance and wear face coverings.

As it turns out, Texans didn’t need Big Daddy government to compel them to make themselves safe. Unlike many on the left, we can actually comprehend the idea that we can take care of ourselves without the state telling us what to do.

Naturally, we should not assume that the activist media will bother to report on the drop in COVID cases. They still want their audience in other states to believe that Abbott is cruelly killing Texas residents using the virus and that our dead bodies are decorating the streets in all of our major cities.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For that reason alone DeSantis is negligent by having basically no mask mandate or bar capacity restrictions to keep the situation from becoming a spreadfest.

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It's not the people in businesses, grocery stores, etc .. that worry me. It's the thousands of people mask free in bars that are being allowed by Abbott to crowd up and congregate that worries me more. Those people don't go back to some isolated island when they leave the bars. A percentage of them might not even consider getting vaccinated, especially if they are radical right types.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Why would you care what happens to them? It's their life. Everybody who is in danger should have had the opportunity to get vaccinated by now. If not it's on them.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because they might make someone else sick. We should do away with private transportation since the government knows whats better for us. Maybe they can eventually get to the point where they tuck us in bed every night.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Because right now only 12.55 percent of Texans have been fully vaccinated. That makes a lot of people still at risk from people carrying on like Covid is no longer a threat. We are ranked 48th in the nation on vaccination percentages but have lifted all restrictions. I think it would have been smarter to wait until at least 50 percent of us were fully vaccinated.

I mean it's like saying who cares if people die from heroin? Just make it legal and if they OD who cares. Actually, you can't catch addiction from someone else so that wouldn't put others at as much risk as Covid. My point is, all lives matter. Restrictions would protect people from their own negligence or bad decisions.

#666 deb4rockets, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With a slight lag to the national numbers, Texas had a short plateau and is now starting a new wave.

Hopefully, vaccines will make a difference, especially in deaths, but I don't think we have enough done to prevent another serious wave.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Texas is getting one million doses a week

plus you get free Krispy Kreme if you get a vaccine

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unfortunately the virus spreads fast enough that even that rate of vaccination is pretty questionable to prevent a significant wave

Then you have to consider the fact that Texas is a state that has around 40% unlikely to get the shot.

It's a numbers game of previous infections combined with vaccines, and I'm hoping that will do a whole lot to keep a big wave from happening but that's not exactly what I'm expecting, seeing what's happening in the north east, knowing that variants are going to play a role etc.

What I'm ultimately saying is, they might need to throw in a free Whataburger with that Krispy Kreme.

rocketsjudoka and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Interesting to know that @J.R. is getting all of his non-sports news from Tucker Carlson (that's who founded The Daily Caller, and owned it until 2020, btw) and @tinman is lickspittling behind him.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

@J.R.
    is a pure Rockets fan
    He’s a Hakeem level poster
    I know like 80% of this bottom area doesn’t understand the word ‘Hakeem’

Tucker got traded to the Bucks

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I might risk coming down to TX for a shot, even if I already have one, for a Whataburger and Shipley's

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

They don’t sell good donuts In Minnesota?

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like are you going to repeat the same jokes even on your death bed? Do you repeat these jokes on a internet forums more than you see your grand kids?

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Don't worry @tinman has a witty joke up his sleeve about 99ers.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

This post only proves
    That lots of people watch cable news
    Or at least one show

i admit I help keep Charles and Kenny on TNT for many years
    Another show I watch is Ancient Aliens on history channel
    It’s all for money and entertainment
    Just like cable news @Os Trigonum

these art history dropouts must be keeping the news networks and espn in business

this Tucker dude got really popular ever since Harden left the team

as I was telling my fellow 99er @Space Ghost
    If a thousand Clutchfans jumped off a cliff
    None of them would be 99ers

#676 tinman, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

These variants are really quite awful. Aside from the ease at which they spread now, they also increase the odds of hospitalization (so this threatens ICU capacity even at lower numbers of cases)

I just got my first shot here in Minnesota (and my wife already got the J&J so she's done). If you need help finding a vaccine, let me know.

tinman likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks. I was just joking coming down to TX but I really would like a Whataburger with jalepenos and a Shipley's Do-Nut. I've already got a shot scheduled this week here in MN.

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

What about the Mexican food in Minnessota?
    It must suck compared to Houston

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Bowling for Soup did say "Come back to Texas, The Mexican Food sucks north of here anyways..."

Actually there's some pretty good Mexican food. When I first got here it wasn't very good but since then things have gotten better with a lot of really good comidos de Norte Mexicano.

It's primarily due to a lot of the people who used to come up from Mexico through Texas to here to work agriculture and meat packing would go back seasonally but now have settled in MN.