1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two things that need to happen for us to win it all

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Oct 4, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

We have been blown out in extra inning games... so...

Plowman likes this.
  2. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Rally round the family……with a pocket full of shells. No one outside of H-town wants to see the Sign-stealing scandal Stros’ win the whole…..f’in……thing. But to quote the late great Lou Brown, “Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat”

3. Major

Major Member

You could make the argument that the Astros did that last year and lost due to ... TB fielding better than the Astros.

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Base running is the team's weakness... Not just lack of stolen bases but the stupidity at times

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Careful, Buck is going to get you. Stats have been posted here a few times that the Astros are among the best at having the fewest outs on the bases.

Rock Block likes this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I know it’s been posted somewhere here but it’s just not the case with the data. We just watch them every day so it “feels” worse then it is. This team is somewhere in the top 8 of fewest outs on the bases.

7. Rock Block

Supporting Member

LOL exactly however it’s true. I mean I’d rather be number 1 but alas

8. Rock Block

Supporting Member

BP, lack of an ace, anything other then base running

Nook likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The stats are clear…

take away Altuve’s 89 base running errors and the Astros are the best ever in this category.

Instead of being a dork and fact checking me, try getting laid.

Rileydog and Tuckankhamun like this.
  10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like in every series, on both sides, there's seemingly always one guy that comes up in critical situations. If that player comes through more often than not, his team will prevail.

Wonder who it'll be this year? Last year, it felt like it was Yuli who had a ton of guys on and just couldn't get the big hit in the ALCS. Maybe Correa or Tucker this year. Let's hope they can get some RBIs to break open tight games.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Elienator

Elienator Member

Have the winds of fortune bounce the Astros way. At this stage, you have to be both good and at least a little bit lucky to win.

Rock Block likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's one thing to be a smart baserunner, yet another to be able to push the envelope when you're not raking...in a tight post season contest....to steal bases, being good at handling a bat...sacrifice...hit and run..going the opposite way. Add to that very good pitching & defense....especially up the middle. That's the tried and true formula. Ahh..those NL pangs. In many ways we became "the Yankees" a ways back...not a bad thing. When in Rome. It's good to be the King. I'm just sayin...

I feel like we'll roll through the White Sox.

We should know early on against TB where we stand.
    Besides our hammerin...Methinks, those balls will have eyes THIS year.

13. Buck Turgidson

Siri/Meyers/Chaz/Stubbs (whoever is on the bench) can steal you a base and take 2 on a single, score from 1st on a 2B, tag for a base, and do whatever you want. You can't change Altuve, he will do dumb ****, we should all know this by now, but otherwise: Brantley/Alvarez/Bregman are very good but slowed. Yuli is slow but smart, Carlos is fast and smart. Tucker is great.

The bbs-wide consternation about baserunning is, well, stupid.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Can we get a damn ALDS thread already? @Castor27

Plowman likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Just to be safe let's add play better defense and make better coaching decisions

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This would be wwe nwo crazy but how awesome would it be if the Astros kept a trash can in their dugout and banged on it after every homerun.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those guys you mentioned are all off the bench. Not everyday players. Strategic/late inning subs. We are, for the most part, a team without speed on the bases that plays it safe, counting on the sticks to do their work.

Will that switch be flicked, where guys are picking each other up all over the place, like when we won the title? Always responding...
    I hope and believe so.

18. Yordan The Great

Yes that's a foregone conclusion after today.

Key is the starters going at least 6 innings and preferably 7 to keep from exposing our weakness, the pre-8th inning bullpen.

McCullers did a great job of that today, with seeing Maton for only 1 out. Then it's on to Graveman and Pressly.

Then the next thing is for Graveman and Pressly to be nearly perfect. We can't feel too good about that after watching today. Hopefully that works itself out

Plowman likes this.
  19. Yordan The Great

That's returded.

20. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

We should have the entire crowd bring trashcans and bang on them in unison. We'll make the vuvuzela sound angelic.

eliefor3 likes this.