1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Superstars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Lightsnowaction

I get the love for CP3, but John Wall should be on the list after the year and playoffs he had. And Giannis is a superstar(2nd Tean All-NBA). IT should be on the fringe as well.

2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yes he did. I hope CP3 can sustain VERY GOOD if not elite for 3 more years

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

31 points on 24 shots (1.29pps) vs Giannis' 23 point on 16 shots (1.43pps). So even assuming Giannis' efficiency goes down with increased volume, there is not going to be a significant difference. But you know where there is a significant difference? Giannis is a pretty good defender, while Westbrook is a joke. We are picking for who we would want tomorrow, not yesterday right. If I'm trying to win the 2017-2018 season, I pick Giannis before Russ easily.

Another key factor people are ignoring is amenability to playing with another superstar. This is the most underrated aspect of superstar status imo. Westbrook hasn't shown it.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing discredits that. Deandre is a product of the C position sucking and cp3. someone who cannot be in at the end of games is no premier player let alone all star. that's just terrible and a slap in the face to real all stars in this league. again peja shell of himself. if david west is your clear 2nd best player how much are you actually going to win. cp3 still led that team to consistent winning seasons

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm still taking Russ right now. Im taking his relentless attack, perimeter play, never afraid of the moment, battle tested resume over a still improving giannis for me. giannis is on the right track but still has things to prove before I can rank him in the elite and take him over such players but that's just me personally

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

terrible example when he proved time and time again to be able step up at the end of games and especially in big games

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

You have excuses for everyone but CP3.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

what do i need to make excuses for cp3 for. hes a winning player and makes people around him better throughout his entire career. there's no excuses needed. did you forget this guy is a pure pg, not a guy that goes out and puts up 20 shots a game.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are you watching Giannis play? Relentless attack, perimeter and inside play, never afraid of the moment as well.

Westbrook has more experience, but again we're not talking about the last game we're talking about the next 82 games and playoffs. If none of them improve at all, Russ had a better season. But chances are 99.99% Giannis will improve by day 1 of next season and Russ will keep putting up the same results of his battle tests.

Anyway, to each their own. I find that if a player doesn't play defense and is an inefficient scorer and has a gigantic ego, you're in trouble. Thankfully Harden seems to have grown out of that mindset by at least seeking someone to take the ball out of his hands.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i definitely recognize wb's faults but I can't ignore his impact when it comes to basketball. I may not like it but it's still tremendous. giannis actually just proved he was afraid of the moment in the playoff game 6 vs toronto. the fact that he isn't really able to shoot played a big part as well. just goes back to some things giannis still has to learn

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Well I didn't actually lay out how I defined a superstar, I just simply named them.

I'm basing it on RPM, Box Plus/Minus, Win share/48, eye test and ability to carry a team. Davis has the ability to, but hasn't gotten there the last 2 years. Wall isn't close.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Does this characterize Melo?

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

This is what I was referring to

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I believe so, yes. But Melo is not a superstar. In case you have been wondering why all of a sudden our front office switched their vocab from superstars to team usa guys, you can kind of see that they don't believe he's a superstar either.

16. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Or it could be a sign that somebody's screw boy dad was giving his some more minutes. We aren't talking major minute decline either. the comparison is absolutely laughable.

CXbby likes this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

A 5 minute drop per game is pretty substantial.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You don't have to ignore WB's huge impact. No one is denying what he does do. All the players we're talking about make a world of difference on the court.

How was Giannis afraid of the moment? He single handedly kept his team in the first half, Casey clamped down on him hard, his teammates showed up and mounted a huge run, he focused on moving the ball and guarding his man, did NOT take shots he knows he can't make and they came up short against a far better team. 34/9/2/2 on 23 shots. 46 minutes.

Russell Westbrook's heralded experience got him knocked out of the playoffs. He shot worse than Giannis did in his elimination game. His team lost when he decided to "not be afraid of the moment" and shot them out of the playoffs. They lost that game because Westbrook made the wrong choice. Taking more shots is not always the right crunch-time choice for superstars. Giannis deferred to his teammates and adjusted to the way he was being defended for the most part. Westbrook just kept taking stupid shot after stupid shot. I was in shock. You can't even blame it on his teammates here, because the level of stupidity of his shots was such that literally Ryan Bowen could generate a better shot at 15 feet. He was just launching and praying.

And still, Westbrook is no child. This isn't his first time at the ball. He should be making better decisions by now. Giannis is 23 and recognized what was going on and recognized that he should not try to shoot his team to a victory. Maybe Giannis could have forced 1 or 2 plays. Big deal. That's not the same as taking 10-12 idiotic shots.

AND DEFENSE. That is HALF the player, half the game. Defense. What about defense in crunch time? Giannis shut down his man, whoever it was. Meanwhile Lou and Bev were lighting Westbrook up in a series-deciding game. To put this into perspective, all of Toronto's Forwards COMBINED scored 25, while Lou Williams had an efficient 22 and Bev an efficient 15. How can anyone ignore this is as significant as offensive impact? I guess for the same reason people are still shocked at Kawhi's impact vs those that are purely offensively gifted.

If anything, the big story here is Westbrook has 6 seasons on Giannis and still needs to learn more than Giannis. That 2-3% difference in 3pt percentage will be gone by training camp.

Westbrook needs to be down there in the group with Anthony Davis, they're no different. Davis has not even had a cast as good as Westbrook had last season.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc at the end of that game on the final possession the bucks were down by 3 but since giannis can't really shoot right now, he basically dribbled out the clock and ended up just driving to the basket. huge mistake

i disagree he needs to be down there with AD. not even close. okc just lost arguably the best player in the world and still lead that team to only 8 games less in the west. he just proved to all the doubters he can impact winning positively. for all the hate he gets, it clouds a lot of peoples judgement about him. 47-35 and first round exit is nothing to be ashamed of when his team is flawed. hes basically in the exact same situation harden was before he got dwight.

Lou was lighting up okc's pathetic 2nd unit not westbrook. bev was just taking what okc gave them. to say they were just lighting him up isn't really true.

#59 YOLO, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are you serious? That's not an argument for why Westbrook is better. Westbrook is inefficient because he takes those shots. And Westbrook was a key failure in the entire 4th quarter of that game.

Giannis will take that shot next season. It's not a "potential" thing. He will take it. And he will be as good as Russel at making it. The fact that Giannis had an "I'm in my first serious series, WHOOPS" moment in an overall great series doesn't negate that WB had a "I'M 4 YEARS OLD" 4th quarter in a series dominated by his poor choices - WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING EXPERIENCE. lol What's the point of experience if it ends in 10-12 idiotic shots against a poorly rated Rockets defense?

Come on. Also, you did not address anything else. Westbrook is a joke defensively, Giannis is a serious defender.

Literally the only thing WB has on Giannis right now is a few percentage points on his 3pt shot. Won't even last through to next season.