1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Superstars Available?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BasketballMind, Jan 21, 2011.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The reason I decided to make a new thread about this is because It's not just about Carmello. The owner of Golden State Warriors mentioned in this article about one or TWO superstars that are available.

Tim Kawakami: Warriors owner Joe Lacob not shy about changes

What I would really love to do is to pull off the deal to get a superstar. There's one or two of them out there."

Also Very interesting:

Lacob said he loves the offensive firepower of the Warriors' Monta Ellis-Stephen Curry backcourt, but had questions about the duo's ability to hold up defensively.

"I really like those guys as individuals, and I like them as players," Lacob said.
    "But I have to be honest, it depends. If we got offered a great situation, would I break it up? Yes

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_17154660?nclick_check=1

#1 BasketballMind, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah...Ellis and Curry are not 'Superstars' though.

Borderline all-star caliber players like our own Luis Scola.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Ellis is a superstar.

4. Nook

Nook Member

No... he really is not. He is maybe an all star, but not a super star.

The pecking order:

Starter/Plus-Starter/Borderline All-Star/All-Star/Super Star/Franchise

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Then why would he break ellis and curry up for a "superstar"?

He's probably talking about CP3 and assuming they'll blow things up.

I'd love to get curry, but Monta would be the one to deal in this case.

6. BasketballMind

Exactly why I thought this was interesting....

BTW, Ellis is 3rd in the league in scoring....and has a higher percentage than the top leading scorer, Durant.

7. BasketballMind

When I started this thread, I was NOT assuming that he was talking about Ellis as one of the superstars...although he is putting up superstar numbers...I just mentioned it as an option since he said one of them could be available.

8. BasketballMind

Yes, this is my point...there's possibly another big name out there available, flying under the radar

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The thing about ellis is his inconsistency...i'm not sure if he's fixed that lately, but he''d have a great game, then a poor game, a great game, and so on. That gave him a good average, but it's not good for the team and its why he falls short of being a superstar.

Also, IIRC, his shot chart showed he took an overwhelming amount of shots at the rim and wasn't very good elsewhere. I guess that would explain the inconsistency.

He's also purely a scorer. Durant at least rebounds at a solid rate and can block a shot a game. Better range on his shot as well. Ellis just scores and gets opportunity steals. He averages 5 asst, but at 40 mins a game that's not that great and mostly due to their playing style.

10. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Could be CP3...they're trying to find a new owner aren't they? A new owner probably wouldn't want large contracts.

I don't see New Orleans competing once again this year.

And if NBA wants to save money and get rid of some large contracts...Rockets have the best package to offer, especially with Yaos contract.

1 person likes this.
  11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if not CP3, then:

Roy
    Yao
    Granger
    Nash
    Iggy

closest to a superstar that i can think of, but only Iggy an granger would make sense, if you're trying to find a long time franchis-type of player.

12. BasketballMind

Who do you think is considered a superstar that's possibly available?

People have been mentioning Granger, but I don't see him as a superstar either.

Edit: I didn't see your post above...

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right. Ellis is a GREAT scorer, but he does not give you much more than that. In the right year he's a all-star for sure.

But Superstar players IMO are perennial All-stars...they are locks every year until age gets the better of them and on top of that do more than one thing. Guys like Yao was, Dirk, Garnett, etc.

Durant rebounds and Durant also can play some defense. Ellis and Curry are not very good defenders. I'm sure Martin loves playing Ellis and vice versa because they meet each other and both put up about 25 at least.

I am more intrigued by Curry because he still has the potential going for him. As for Ellis i'm not sure if he's that much of an upgrade over Martin.

14. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Ellis is barely better than Martin. Neither is close to being a superstar.

But what I consider a superstar and what Lacob considers a superstar could be two different things. Paul makes sense. But maybe he meant Nash, Granger or Iguodala. Can't think of anyone else that would be available (that isn't done like Roy).

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

He's not a superstar now, but he has the tools to be a superstar. Monti Ellis in RA system can lead the league in scoring. I'd trade for Ellis in a heartbeat

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

well he can't be obviously the owner was talking about superstars not currently playing in GS

GS Owner: "What I would really love to do is to pull off the deal to get a superstar. There's one or two of them out there."

17. BasketballMind

"one of them" as in Curry or Ellis being available on his team.

18. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I think Curry is the better over-all player. Ellis is a flat out scorer who is undersized to play SG and doesnt have the skills of PG. He is just a phenominal scorer who will always cause issues on the roster - where does he play at the 1 or at the 2. Same problem with Iverson.

So whats the answer - Move Ellis to one and get a proper SG so there is more height and size in the back court? What else is there?

Where as Curry is a damn good PG who is going to get better and better. Great at facilitating and setting up plays. Can score the ball as well if and when needed. Plus he is not all that bad in defense.

20. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

No

Not every franchise player is a even a star.