1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Two NY policeman assassinated by African American as revenge for Eric Garner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Police need to be reformed. In the era of cell phone video, you can no longer have the police being as brutal or trigger happy as they are. That's the instigator - the spark that is the common thread that starts the cycle of violence.

You can blame the protesters or the mayor or whomever, but the real issue is a few bad cops can create a real problem across the board.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually for a long time bigtexxx thought "The Game" aND Trayvon Martin were the same person.

Heh.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's such a flawed way of thinking. The assumption that criminals intent on murder will follow gun control laws....honestly, it's laughable.

That said, even if we eliminate every gun, the officers likely end up just as dead so long as the will to kill them remains.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Blaming anybody except for the blood thirsty psycho is as asinine as the act in of itself.

5. SamFisher

Interesting stat: 100% of gun violence involves the use of guns.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting fact: People can be murdered without use of guns.

[​IMG]

The idea that murderers would stop killing people (assuming you even could) if you took away guns is like thinking that people would stop building houses if you took away nail guns.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

70% of all boats sold are used for fishing.

8. SamFisher

If you took away guns, the amount of people killed by guns drops to zero.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol, this is so stupid.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you make the point that killing (building houses) is much easier with a gun (nail gun). You may be on to a very interesting point. LOL

This guy... :grin:

11. SamFisher

If it's incorrect I welcome your challenge.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is the problem that they are getting killed by guns, or is the problem simply that they are being killed?

So it's okay to kill people so long as it's not easy to do so? Also, you're still assuming that people who would ignore the laws against murdering people would pay attention to whatever gun control laws you come up with....probably not the most logical suggestion.

13. SamFisher

The problem is guns kill people. Alot.

14. TheresTheDagger

Off topic--

Re: Guns being the problem

1) The Genie is out of the bottle in the United States regarding gun ownership. Estimates of the actual number of firearms in the United States ranges near 300 million. No matter how many laws you pass, this number isn't changing and no gun ban or law will change it.

2) Laws currently on the books have seemed to not have the impact that those espousing more laws would like to see. What evidence is there that more restrictive gun laws will change this?

3) Murders committed by guns are by definition done by criminals. What criminal will even think twice about breaking any new gun laws? How therefore do more gun laws truly affect gun violence?

I'm pragmatic. I hate gun violence as much as the next guy. I don't own a gun and doubt I ever will. But no person who advocates more gun laws has ever been able to satisfactorily answer 1-3 above for me.

On topic: Prayers for the families of these two men as they go through this awful time.

I'm not gonna offer my opinion on Michael Brown or Eric Gardner. Its not needed and would change no minds. I would state rather that the harsh feelings and angry words exchanged over the past several months led right up to this moment. Everyone needs to take a step back and evaluate their rhetoric. People are now in part literally dieing because of it.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

cops kill black people, black people kill cops, how come we only talk about taking the guns away from the black people? racist.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

jeez.

The ease with which you can kill someone with a gun far outweighs what you could do with a knife/baseball bat/dildo.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fast food kills people. A lot.

I'm still not sure what your point is. A lot of things kill people a lot, the problem isn't the tools in which people are using....which you can't get rid of anyway, the problem is the people that want to kill people.

I don't see the relevance. Blaming tools for the actions of the user is pretty foolish IMO. You can kill people really easily with lots of things, the only way to curb people killing people is to curb the reasons why people want to kill other people. Apparently it was REALLY easy to kill thousands with a Jumbo Jet, does that mean we should ban them?

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Okay let me paint you a scenario.

You come home. Your wife is cheating on you with mandingo. You're in a white hot rage and you take out either

A) An Uzi.

B) A baseball bat.

In which scenario do you think its more likely that someones getting their head blown off.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UK outlawed guns.

Murder rate went up over the next few years.

That is an established fact and one that has been ignored in plenty of threads before.

But even better, the gun murder rate went up. It didn't reduce to zero, like Sammy suggests.

I appreciate why you guys come to the hypothesis you do using simple logic, but what do you do when actual real world evidence contradicts your hypothesis?

Apparently, pretend the evidence doesn't exist.

Gun violence is a symptom, not a cause. If you want people to stop killing people you need to change people. I know it is inconvenient for liberals and conservatives alike that that is the case. It would be awesome if you could outlaw a thing and get people to stop killing each other, but that's not how reality works.

Outlawing guns won't result in everybody holding hands in the streets and singing Kumbaya anymore than outlawing drugs and alcohol turned everybody into teetotalers. If you have the willingness and desire to kill someone, you'll find a way.

#139 Ottomaton, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, that's just as tasteless and classless as police officers wearing 'I can breathe' T-shirts making fun of Garner... Two wrongs never make a right.