1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two More Women Accuse Neil deGrasse Tyson of Sexual Misconduct

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 30, 2018.

?

Should Tyson's life and career be destroyed as a result of these allegations?

1. Sure. Zero tolerance for EVERY man accused by women of sexual harrassment and assault.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. No. These acts should be handled as potential crimes and all people deserve due process. Everyone.

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  3. No. Kavanaugh's accusers should have been believed, but Tyson is someone important who I like.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

We must believe all women right? Surely all of you who condemned Brett Kavanaugh with literally no corroborating evidence, for actions that he supposedly engaged in during high school will want to be at the front of the line to condemn Neil DeGrasse Tyson for sexual assault. Well, here is your chance.

And there is corroborating evidence in this case.
    And, go figure, the Democrat left mass media is apparently choosing to largely not cover this story. Is anyone surprised? Hopefully not.

The bias of the mass media is most clearly demonstrated by what the choose NOT to cover and what they basically ignore. This is at the core of the reason why these people should not be blindly trusted.

Anyway, this guys should have his life ruined now, right? I am especially interested in what the "believers" of the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh have to say about these incidents.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, why are astrophysics political now?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

NDT isn't a public official interviewing for a lifetime appointment.

Pizza_Da_Hut, Nook, Big MAK and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point of the thread was about if we should "believe all women" and ruin the careers of those they accuse of sexual misconduct. I don't think anyone suggested that NDT was a public official or that he was running for a lifetime appointment so that's not really relevant to this thread.....unless you are suggesting that's the only instance where we should "believe all women" and ruin the careers of those they accuse.

5. omgTHEpotential

I don't buy it. And even if it were true, it was at an after-party? What does "felt up" actually mean? Did he rape someone?

Non story.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So, you do not believe the women. It sounds like you are suggesting that they are lying. Therefore in your view women should not be automatically believed.

mick fry likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. omgTHEpotential

It was at an after-party? What does "felt up" actually mean? Did he rape someone? Where is the actual evidence of some wrong doing. People's careers are being destroyed based on a he said, she said - that's not a proof of anything. Some actual evidence would be nice for a change.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His point was merely that people want to use their brains about these kinds of situations when there isn't a political motivation to simply "believe all women" instead.

10. omgTHEpotential

Oh, okay. That's fair.

P.S. Also, are we 100% sure there isn't any political motivation here? The conspiracy theorist in me says there's at least a remote possibility that someone wants NDT, an enemy of climate change deniers, discredited. I know sexual misconduct shouldn't impact what we think of NDT's intelligence, but it would undoubtedly shrink his platform to reach people.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bwahahaha. I totally agree. But was that your suggestion for Brett Kavanaugh as well?

And yes, Tyson is being accused of straight up raping a woman. That is penis in the vagina against the woman's will.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your outrage is noted

13. omgTHEpotential

Sorry, I didn't follow the Kavanaugh story almost at all. But in general, evidence is always a nice thing to have before condemning someone.

14. Senator

Senator Member

Yes, according to a few accusers, he did rape them after drugging them.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hadn't heard about this allegation previously so looked it up . . . the accuser in this case has a photograph of the accused in his apartment from that time period (which is obviously evidence but not proof).

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosac...ns-rape-accuser-gives-first-public-interview/

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Bill Cosby is in prison for that, isn't he?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is not just them. It is all scientists. Science has a liberal bias, doncha know?

18. Anticope

Anticope Member

First of all, the poll options are completely ridiculous, so I'm definitely not participating in that. But to the question at hand, just like everything else in life, you have to look at these accusations on a case-by-case basis. When one accuser comes forward against someone and then many others start coming forward with accusations (ie Cosby, Weinstein, Lauer, etc.), then that's a pretty good indication of those individuals' guilt, although they are obviously still entitled to due process legally. On the other hand, when just one or two accusers come forward against someone and that's it, then I typically find those accusations to be more susceptible to scrutiny and/or more likely to not actually be true as the men who engage in this sort of behavior typically have a pattern of it extending over the course of years towards many women, but obviously there can be exceptions.

Kavanaugh kind of fell in between these two standards as he had multiple accusers but only one (Ford) ended up seeming all that credible to me. I always thought the timing of it was fishy as well but I try not to question things like that too much since I'm a male that never faces the type of harassment that many women often face (sometimes on a daily basis) and have to deal with over time. Ultimately, my guess is that Kavanaugh was a heavy partier back in the day who likely engaged in some behavior with his buddies that they didn't think anything of but that might have had a significant impact on someone like Dr. Ford.

I haven't read much about the accusations against NDT, although I'm more inclined to pay close attention to accusations against someone being appointed to a lifetime position on the Supreme Court than against an astronomer who occasionally shows up on TV. Having said that, if these accusations turn out to be true, then he obviously should face the consequences for them.

amaru likes this.
  19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Tyson has also been accused of rape by a woman named Tchiya Amet:

'That interaction also made her think twice about allegations brought by Tchiya Amet, a musician who says Tyson raped her in his apartment when they were grad students together.'​

So, according to all the people who "believed" the Kavanaugh accusers, with literally no corroborating evidence, Tyson should get the full Weinstein #MeToo treatment, right?

I sure hope nobody is going to try to say that since this happened during his university days, this should be overlooked.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Such a weird statement. I guess 'scientists' and the 'left' go hand in hand? I suppose the right is anti NDT?