1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

two game season analysis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nwcougar, Oct 30, 2015.

1. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Some observations:

1. Harrell needs to play more minutes. Great energy guy that can finish above the rim. Honestly, once DMO comes back Jones' value will go down the toilet.

2. We need shooters that can hit the 3 ball if McHale is planning on running the same offense as last year. Brewer hustles but his outside shot is sooo inconsistent, and he's never been a good 3-pt shooter.

3. Ariza looks completely lost out there. His play on both ends is highly suspect. Not sure what's going on with him but he is way off the mark with his shot and his defense looks porous. Definitely not playing with much energy.

3. Jones. No progress since his rookie season. I know it's early in the season but considering his contract situation I'd be real surprised if he isn't traded. Hopefully Morey can trade him for a shooter... a 2 or 3, doesn't matter.

4. The team needs more time to gel. Unlike most teams most teams, the Rockets starters barely played during the pre-season. I'm confident Lawson and Harden will improve their play together as the season progresses.

5. Howard is still making the same dumb mistakes. Glad the Rockets are playing Capella and have Harrell at the 4. Howard is still very valuable on the defensive end but he will never be a dominant player.

2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Should've traded Jones when he was high. Now, no team probably wants him.

3. DenisM

DenisM Member

Can we stop making conclusions after 6 quarters?

4. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Should trade him keep josh

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Think about the thread you just created.

"TWO GAME SEASON"

and that 2nd game isn't even done yet. Geezus people. How can some create threads.

6. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

true. I realize the season is young and these guys haven't had much time to play together but I'm seeing the same things with certain players that were problems last year, and the year before. Howard is still Howard. Same dumb fouls and poor decision-making. Bev is still Bev. Still can't create offensively and has lost a step defensively since his injuries. Jones is still Jones. Still has a slow developing shot with no handles, and can't defend bigs in the paint.

the point being, the ceiling is not very high for the Rockets unless Morey makes some moves. DMO could be a difference maker if he regains his old form but I still like the idea of trading Jones and perhaps a bench player or two for a shooter. Morey resigned McDaniels but he has No shot, and he's not even getting minutes. The only player that can shoot is The Jet, but how old is he? Perspective, that's all.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Where is Dekker? This team desperately needs shooting. Didn't we draft this guy for that reason?

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

2nd game of the season against the best team in the league...cmon guys

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It's fair to panic. We look really bad. A team that is to win a difficult conference like this wouldn't look this bad.

It's just two games, but it's clear we are not contending for a title. GS is a lot better than us. OKC have always been better than us when healthy. Spurs with Aldridge who owns us are better than us. Those three teams are without a doubt above us. And it's looking like the list could be a lot longer

10. astros123

astros123 Member

what was the excuse for the denver game?:confused::rolleyes:

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you need to paste a 20 game analysis sometime in Dec.

2 games means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Haha - I would like to see the 2 game analysis on the back-to-back blowouts we lost to the Clippers before we came back & won the series. I remember almost writing off the team last year early when we lost an early game to Memphis by 30 or 40 points. It's one of the weaker points about basketball: individual games don't really mean that much. In a quality college football year, you lose one game, and that can ruin all of your dreams for the season.

13. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

look at marcus morris today showing out againist the bulls

im confident, dekker wont reach his potential with mchale as coach

people keep forgetting that last year dmo was glued to the bench until t.jones got hurt, if t.jones never got injured we would have never known about dmo's talent

1 person likes this.
  14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

That said, I think it's great that fans take this stuff seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if the fans take it more seriously than the players. Effort and preparation shouldn't vary so much from game to game. We shouldn't tolerate it. They get paid a lot based on our ticket & merchandise purchases.

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I would say that, against Golden State anyway, that Capella did a much better job of protecting the basket that Howard. He may even have rebounded as well as Howard tonight.

Capella has progressed and I'm afraid Howard has regressed due to injury. Certainly not pronouncing any judgements after one game, but, if we are doing two game season analysis, I got to say Howard looked bad so far.

16. andersongo

andersongo Member

Roxs fans should calm down. The season has just begun. Give the team some time to figure it out and gel. As long as they are still in it come the playoffs, I don't see any need for panic.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this isn't a knee jerk. Offense is stagnant and predictable against the elite teams.

Also, Harden needs to stop jacking so many 3s and let his shot flow.

18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The team looks out of sync and not well conditioned. After the 1st period they looked TIRED out of gas

19. andersongo

andersongo Member

How can this not be knee-jerk when it's only two games in ? What the hell?

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

My 3 biggest problems

1) Dwight looks absolutely terrible. At this point I would 100% let him walk and sign a new "#2" player. He is playing like a rookie. He should never get any post ups on offense, there is no excuse for it

2) Jones is also horrible. Montrezl is gonna be taking his minutes as soon as DMO comes back. I think TJ has hit his wall and there is no improving from here. Not enough offensive skill and a total no show on the defensive end

3) Ariza is starting to look old. His defense was pretty bad tonight. he is getting beat of the dribble consistently and he can't reach his spots on offense. He looks like he is finally starting to age