1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Two days in Shanghai, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Jun 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Adding on to the number of travel advice threads. I guess the travel season is in full swing.

I will be departing in about 10 hours. Any solid advice on sights, food, shopping?

Thanks in advance.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Best dim sum dumplings house in Shanghai: --"Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant", 85 Yuyuan Road, Old Town God's Temple (there are several different levels w/ corresponding dumpling quality - walk up and get a table on at least the 3rd floor)

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Park Hyatt
    M on the Bund

4. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Be prepared for flight delay when you depart PuDong IA. U might end up sitting in the plane for hours and still find yourself at the runway.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10 hours left, he is probably gone by now

6. Bob Barker 007

I am currently staying in Shanghai for a total of two months. I would recommend getting Pleco, which is an app that translates words into Chinese. Also, I would recommend picking local restaurants that have pictures on their menu if you don't know Chinese. The metro is really easy to use, cheap, and will get you to most places around town.

Places to go:
    The Bund - former European district. Great view across the Huangpu River of the skyline
    People's Square - Go see the Shanghai Museum (free) and walk around
    East Nanjing Road - Pedestrian road that lights up at night. Lots of Western shopping
    Yuyuan (Yu Garden)
    Jing'an Temple
    Longhua Temple
    Observation deck of one of the towers
    Xintiandi - Western area, shopping
    Tianzifang
    French Concession

I like xiaolongbao, or soup dumplings. My favorite place is Jia Jia Tang Bao, just north of the People's Square metro station

For electronics, some people recommend the Xujiahui area. I have not personally checked it out yet.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I disagree. It's overpriced for what you get - there are many other great places that serve xiaolongbao that are just as good and cheaper. Also, the whole Yu Garden area feels touristy and overrated. If you like luxury shopping, go to the Jing'an Temple area.

OP, make sure to walk on the Bund at night. As BB007 mentioned, the view of the Pudong skyline from the Bund is really cool. Also, as we are in the middle of rainy season, make sure to have an umbrella handy.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Oriental Pearl Tower (OPT) was pretty cool. Great observation deck with a glass walkway. Also a very good museum on Shanghai history. To get a sense of the crazy development of China at the OPT there is also a timeline of shots showing the Pudong from 1991 to the present.

Also take a night cruise on the Huangpu. That is pretty cool seeing the light show of Shanghai.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think I prefer american chinese food than chinese chinese food. You might underwhelmed by the restaurants there.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Damnit, now I want dim sum... I may have to take a trip to Vegas just so I can hit up Noodle in the Bellagio.

11. Bob Barker 007

Yeah, it certainly is different from American Chinese food. They use very little meat in most dishes and really do not eat much chicken or beef. Anything termed "meat" is probably pork. However, I do think they do a good job of cooking the pork and incorporating it in different dishes, such as the soup dumplings. I wouldn't recommend eating much food directly off the street. I had some grilled lamb skewers that really did me in during my first week here.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

1 night in Bangkok >2 nights in Shanghai.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

BTW is Mex food much different than Tex Mex food? Spicier?