1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two camps of thoughts on coaching and Morey in general

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, May 11, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

1) this is just another setback. I love this team and Morey. We just couldn’t overcome the Warriors, but boy we are so close. So close we are, we just need to tweak here and there in the off-season, we will be fine and I still love my team.

2) coaching and/or GM change is needed. There is a fundamental flaw in the indisciplined ISO system we play overly relying on threes. It’s more than just tweak we need. We need a whole new approach and we don’t trust MDA and/or Morey will implement it. Otherwise it will be another failure waiting to happen next year and the year after, after.

Which one are you?

I am in the second camp.

smp, cheke64, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

How many ****ing threads are you going to start? You have like 6 in the past 24 hrs alone

malakas, Pringles, topfive and 6 others like this.
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Sorry man.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’m more in the first camp. The way the Rockets play works. They didn’t get enough contributions from enough players.

They need better athletes and better size. Would like a few more players that bring PJ’s toughness too.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know what the answers are. I suspect some team would be paying me millions of dollars if I did. But from what I've seen and what I understand, Daryl Morey is one of the best GM's in basketball. And I sure would love to see him get the chance to legitimately rebuild a team just once anyway. I'm so far into Morey's camp that right now that if they fire him I might just hang up my NBA fandom. It's the only sport I follow. But to me, Tillman is an unknown. I don't know how he'll run the organization. I know that Morey does an excellent job of putting a competitive team on the floor every year regardless of the mandate given by the owner. I don't feel like I can handle that big of a change right now.

Who knows. Maybe the next GM will be even better and I'd come crawling back at some point. But right now I can't handle the idea of firing Morey. Anybody else, and I mean anybody else, is fair game. But, to me, Morey is untouchable.

malakas, roslolian, RyanB and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Boooo! Who are you, the discussion police?

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I'm in between the 2 camps.

The only reason our "system" worked this whole season is because Harden averaged 36 ppg during thee regular season. If he doesn't play well, we don't play well, and I just don't like having all our eggs in one basket.

Also, our less talented role players don't have any system or structure that guides them when CP3 or Harden aren't initiating the offense. Even guys like Gordon and Rivers seem lost at times or unsure of how to approach an offensive possession. Look at EG's performance in Game 6, he is definitely a guy that would be more consistent in system, I don't think he likes having to make decisions in isolation all the time, that's also what occasionally leads to the weird "it's not fun comments". A huge difference b/n the Rockets and Warriors (outside of the talent gap) is that even if the offensive possession doesn't go well, all the Warriors players do seem to move with purpose, even the bench guys.

All this leads me to the conclusion that we cannot continue to have seasons where so much of the load is on Harden and his patented step back 3. Harden's offense does bail us out a lot, and he is a great iso player, but that is basically going to win you 1-2 games every series. I do not think that he can single handedly deliver you 4 games against an all time great team. We have to treat Harden's abilities as a luxury, not as our entire offense.

D'antoni is just not the guy that can sit Harden and get him on board with this. He's a player's coach at the end of the day but that's just a fancy word for pushover. That's why I believe we need a new coach that has a strong vision and strong conviction in their own basketball style, someone like Rick Carlisle for example (I'm not saying go after Rick, just someone with a system and championship experience, but yes that's hard to come by I get it)

It's up to Morey to come to this conclusion and make this decision, even he has to see that we have reached the theoretical limit to this breed of basketball. You can go on and on about the few defensive mistakes here and there the Rockets made but the reality is you will never play a perfect defensive game against any elite offensive team, let alone the Warriors.

#7 Roxfreak724, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hear you man. I am a bit confused too.

But the warriors fired Mark Jackson and hired a first time coach in Steve Kerr that we all thought. Wait what. The rest then is history. Could we be st that juncture right now ?

RyanB, Why not? and mastan like this.
  9. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is a bit grunted himself just like us. So understandable. He is cool most of the time thought.

Though he started like 2 threads himself in the past 24 hours for his rants and this is my 3rd thread not 6th in the 24 hours.

My other two were Fxxk the analytics and I am going to take a break from this team and basketball. Those were started seconds after last night’s loss

Tfor3 and burlesk like this.
  10. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

I think there’s a need in rebounding. We lost this series bc of rebounding. Our offense works, but we definitely can improve the system by running more plays that aren’t just drive and kick out. The efficiency is there. It got us this far...

We need more PJ Tucker type hustle out there in general though.

diehardrockets and Hmc415 like this.
  11. OpportunityCost

Camp 2!!!!! All day, everyday!!!!! This iteration of the Rockets needs an overhaul!! Dork-Elvis's philosophy needs to be scrapped. IMO, this iteration of the Rockets are not fun to watch and apparently cannot get past GS even without Durantula.

Also, it's difficult I am sure for other players to make contributions when Harden is dribbling out the shot-clock (while everyone watches) and heaving up hero-shots, or he gives them the ball with 4 seconds left - great. I am sure it's also hard for other players to get into a rhythm when he is jacking up shot after shot after shot - dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, SHOOT!!, lol.

Also, man that 90 million dollars to Capela seems like such a waste. I am sure Fertitta is looking at Morey like, "you got some splainin to do".

Also, I don't see a problem with you creating threads - I guess as long as you are following the Website's rules, you're good!

#11 OpportunityCost, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  12. alethios

alethios Member

We're just not built to beat the Warriors. We can beat all the other west teams but them. We need to re-tool at some point. If that means new coaching or fresh faces on the bench, so be it. That CP3 contract though.

saleem likes this.
  13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I have colleagues and friends that don’t root for the Rockets but avid NBA fans. They are objective and there seemed to be a consensus among them option 2 has to happen for the Rockets to beat the Warriors. People here might be the only ones seeing it differently. It’s like stuck in a relationship for so long, you kinda rationalize every corners in that relationship.

OpportunityCost and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I too am in the second camp. This is based on chronic problems. Once our shots don't fall in, and our defense breaks down, we are toast.

15. saleem

Changes in personell and coaching philosophy plus sports psychology is needed for this team to win.

Roxfreak724 and OpportunityCost like this.
  16. saleem

That is not enough by any means. Rebounding gives you extra possessions. What do you do after that is an entirely different thing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. OpportunityCost

Exactly, I've already sent a Tweet to Uncle Tilman (I know he probably won't see it :)) telling him to please seek advice outside of the organization on how to improve the Rockets.

YallMean likes this.
  18. YallMean

YallMean Member

A good friend of mine told me that as he and his wife were watching G5, the wife, who doesn’t watch NBA much at all, asked him why that guy with a big beard holds onto the ball for so long and not pass to anybody.

It’s like the Emperor’s clothes on this board I feel. :D
    I mean there are some savvy smart people here still wholeheartedly argue the system is working.

Sorry, just my opinion.

19. OpportunityCost

Lol, my Dad said my Mom said the same thing about Harden and she rarely watches basketball.

daywalker02, RyanB and YallMean like this.
  20. mastan

mastan Member

We are yet to beat any top 5 NBA team in playoffs in Harden/MDA era.

daywalker02 likes this.