1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Twitter Mania

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WhoMikeJames, Apr 19, 2009.

1. NafeesLACC

NafeesLACC Member

hahahahha, but I concur with his sentiments, I'd rather hyperventilate over watching Rockets offensive possessions

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This came up as a topic last night after the game. Bunch of people past their prime saying how everyone's sending them Twitter invites but they've "had enough" of it all...Though one signed up. TODAY was the first time visited the the site. Seems how myspace was right when it got big with a bunch of people overrating themselves, but wont blame Twitter for that though. Its a decent concept, though I dont need it.

Always thought these social things at its very core was "please care about my existence" anyways. Or please consider me the most witty off-the-cuff unique person you know. Thing is, people go to these things not cuz its always the best but its where people are. You make a page so people can see it, who makes a profile page on a site with a membership of 50? So if people keep deserting and migrating and choosing all kinds of different crap, you feel you need to follow the herd and its just annoying.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's because ESPN and ABC hosts for NBA broadcasts are tools and can't help but mention Twitter every chance they get just because Shaq started doing it recently. Then the network as a whole apparently ran with it.

Of course that's not the reason behind its general popularity.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's amazing how easy it is to stalk people or rob their homes these days...

Err... I mean... GO ROCKETS!

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i'm kind of confused, so forgive my total ignorance. hasn't this been around for a few years because i could have sworn i heard the name before. what triggered the sudden explosion seemingly in the past 4 months? it's like all you hear about now.

and how is this any different than just fb status updates? :confused:

am i missing something here.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I first encountered Twitter a little over a year ago. It baffled me, as it seemed to be a convoluted form of IM.

I can't get into Twitter. I can see how it's cool to follow someone big or in the know, but friends? I've got at least one on there that is compelled to tweet at least a couple times an hour. WTF. No one cares, attention w****.

I'd be more inclined to use it if it were more of a mini-blog (one or two paragraphs at least) than a two sentence updater. Something that could allow a full thought or idea rather than: "naps r kewl - gunna take 1"

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hey guyz just letting you know I'm doing a #2 now...

update: feel 50 lb lighter, and didn't get anything on the sleeves...updated 1 minute ago from the web

#47 v3.0, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is the same as FB updates....

DD

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

got this from Brasscheck recently: http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/603.html

Regarding Twitter, take your pick:

Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hU5bWRx1x0

or

Bambi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXBbgzQmpJw

10. teknokid

teknokid Member

But Twitter updates are searchable which probably is the biggest difference between Twitter vs. other social networks.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I use twitter for a variety of things, to interact with friends, to get the latest updates on people who's blogs I follow, to interact with my podcast listeners and other podcasters, or to just chat about things that excite or interest me.

I don't use it as a "update" thing really... though lots of people do.

It's instant gratification for social interaction.

Edit: Oh and if you want to see something funny... do a hashtag #JVGisHipHop search... It was great fun during the Lakers game yesterday!!!

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I use Facebook to reconnect with and stay in touch with my old friends from high school and college. I’ll check it every day when I get home from work (it’s blocked at work) and occasionally, I’ll comment on a picture someone posts etc. I don’t accept friends who I don’t plan on staying in contact with (like some guy you sat next to in homeroom 20 years ago). There are some people who just want to have as many “friends” as possible. That’s kind of silly.

There are some of my “friends” who feel the need to update their status 4 or 5 times a day which really clutters up my homepage. After cancelling them as friends then having them send me invitations again, I finally discovered that you can hide them from your homepage without having to cancel them. That has been a GOD SEND.

Seriously, I’m not going to lie and say I NEVER update my status. Maybe once a week, I’ll write something extremely witty, but I’ll never understand those people who do it 5 times a day…

My wife has a teacher friend who actually updates her status via her phone while she's teaching. "Sarah is about to finish the kids reading lesson and take them to recess!" Uh.....ok.....

As long as I have Facebook, I don’t see why I would need or want Twitter. I don’t need my phone ringing everytime a buddy from college has a mood change…

13. Hayesfan

You can set it so that it only updates when certain people tweet... your whole list of friends will update on your page but you tell it who to update to your phone.

14. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

From what I understand a lot of old school Twitter users blame Shaq and other celebrities. Some don't like it now that it's become so mainstream.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ok, so searching a random thought is important, how exactly?

DD

16. Hayesfan

They aren't all just random thoughts.. people post links and information. In fact that's what I find it most interesting for. The "random thoughts" are the ones you avoid with the searching.

17. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I use it as a way to get a lot of news in one place that I wouldn't ordinarily get from my normal sites. People that have something to market on the web usually put their info on Twitter so if you follow people that may have something to say your interested in it's a good way to get all that info in one spot.

For instance I follow Jimmy Fallon, because he tweets who is going to be on his show that night so I can know whether or not I want to watch that night. The whole reason I started my twitter account was because of Jason Friedman (Rockets insider). Lots of times he'll post inside Rockets info before it's even up on Clutchfans and now even better Clutch is on Twitter so I'm following him. There are very few normal Joes that I follow (just a few people from clutchfans) that I follow.

I never would have thought that I would enjoy Twitter until I saw how much information I could get in just one spot. Here's a few people from my watch list:

clutchfans / ClutchFans.net
    Lance Zierlein LanceZierlein / Lance Zierlein
    Donté Greene DonteGreene / Donté Greene
    The_Pollo_Loco / Raheel Ramzanali
    Heroescast / The 9th
    natalie_gulbis (just cause she always post pictures of herself)
    Jimmy Fallon jimmyfallon / Jimmy Fallon
    richardjustice / Richard Justice
    Tyson Chandler tysonchandler / Tyson Chandler

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Fair enough....it sounds like an easier way to blog.....

I am not saying it is bad, just that it is a bit like the GARM, you really got to know how to search to get to the gems.

DD

19. Hayesfan

Hey! That's me! :)

20. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

It's live blogging with short posts. That's the essence of it. And you don't have to search through anything to find good stuff because unlike the GARM or any other forum for that matter, you only see the posts of the people you decide to follow, not everyone who has an account.