1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Twin Towers: Needs More Time or Give it Up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Patterned919, Nov 8, 2013.

?

Twin Towers?

1. Give It More Time

104 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. Bench Asik NOW

317 vote(s)
    75.3%
  1. tzou88

tzou88 Member

What I've noticed with the TT lineup is our perimeter defenders play like a non TT lineup. What I mean is that one of the only reasons to play TT is to lock down the paint with just the two towers, but our perimeter players are collapsing regardless thus creating a help situation which is freeing up opponent shooters. If we are to continue playing TT, the perimeter guys need to know not to collapse on drivers. This is why Battier was always known to be a good defender, rather he knew how to funnel his man into Yao.

2. linsomnia

linsomnia Member

Agreed, several of our players frequently collapse in too far rather than staying further out on shootings

I think TT has the potential to be a superb defensive lineup, at least if other team doesn't have a stretch 4 --- but it's still just not going to be a good offensive lineup.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

DD, you need to get over it about DMo and Jones.

Even if Asik is benched, it will be Casspi who gets his minutes. It's clear that the coaching staff does not consider DMo or Jones rotation-ready.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How did Casspi do today?

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Do you think that matters to McHale? He will play his guys.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably and very likely I admit. Injuries happen and McHale got no other choice. (Casspi's ankle, Beverley torn muscle)

I am thinking the biggest one is still TT can't be used at the beginning of games and only situational.

If this continues, he has to modify his game plans.

7. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

the twin towers can only be used against the spurs and memphis....its the only teams that seemed to be bothered by that lineup

1 person likes this.
  8. queazie

queazie Member

Neither Asik nor Howard can pass very well, unlike Yaoooooo
    If the twin towers consisted of Yao and Dwight, then yea, no worries ;)

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

you've got to a complete potato to think this will work with "time"

Asik needs to be benched and Casspi needs to start

10. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Pretty much this. It can still work if we can play more aggressively at both ends like we have been mostly playing in the 3rd quarters.
    I'm not holding my breath, though.

This difference in aggressiveness and intensity between 1st and 3rd quarters is clearly supported by numbers as well as kuku pointed out here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=246366
    (Which BTW is a much better premise for a thread, yet nobody wants to discuss that. Instead, we basically have this thread over and over again after every game where people can go "I told you so, McHale is an idiot, everybody is a moron who didn't see it, play D-Mo, fire Morey!)"

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

+ I think he won some kinda of award last year.

12. jetwave

jetwave Member

I know its 6 games into the season but can't we be the same running team as last season? - Put back Lin in the starting lineup to facilitate
    - Replace Asik with Greg Smith, DMO, or Casspi
    - Have Dwight run some damn pick and rolls. His post game is like watching a beginner practice ballerina.

13. RocketRed4life

I've been opposed to the TT lineup from the beginning and continue to do so..why can't we just play the way we did last year?? The only difference would be d12 replacing asik..on paper that lineup would seek and destroy

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Bench Howard is the only solution. it is a pipe dream. Rockets will keep playing with a hole.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I gave up on it before we ever tried it. Obviously it wouldn't work, so that we continually start the game with a deficit isn't at all surprising to me.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Memphis big man can shoot that 10-12 ft jumper. That is why they have those two in the game. Plus Zack has a nice post up game and he is a offensive rebounding machine.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't know why Mchale decided to go with this old school Twin Tower lineup anyways. Neither Howard or Asik can hit that 10-12' shot. Neither Howard or Asik are dominate low post players.

I was against this lineup from day one. I remember before we got Howard a lot of CF members were bragging about how we will get all the rebounds, how stout the defense will be, etc etc etc. LOL But wasn't factoring all the flaws that will be exposed with this type of lineup.
    But hey some have to see it for themselves huh.

18. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

they can develop the mid rangers, Asik has a good stroke and he made one last year. He shoulda work on it during summer and coaching staff give him some support but probably they all too concentrate on dwright's game and now it's all too late.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Move over Dirk!

Come on, man. Asik is who he is. (Same with Dwight, for that matter.) Neither will ever develop a jump shot.

20. torocan

torocan Member

I don't think I'd say "never", but it's not something that typically happens "in season".

Essentially if we haven't seen a good mid-range from Asik/Dwight, or a good post game from Asik/Dwight by now, it's probably not going to improve substantially by the play offs.

Practice time for jump shots/post game is limited and inconsistent between team practices, flights, etc. The time to work on those aspects of your game is during the off season when you can put in 4-6 hours in the gym multiple times per week.

Twin Towers isn't completely useless, but without at least one of them having a reliable post up/jump shooting game, you basically have an all defense/no offense front line that clogs up the lane. Not ideal except against very specific types of line ups.