1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tweet @ 9:08pm: Lebron James IS staying in Miami... 100%?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 26, 2014.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Cool, I didnt even know about this rule!

In regards to Wade signing a 5 year deal this year, it wouldn't apply, as Wade would still only be 36 during the 5th and last year of his contract.

2. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

You still haven't answered WHY Miami would tie themselves up in what amounts to cap space garbage? :confused:

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Seems pretty obvious why Miami might want to pay wade 55-65 million over 4 or 5 years instead of 42 million over 2years. In fact I briefly mentioned the benefit to maimi in my initial post, however if you still need help understanding the rationale, I'll give you two clues... Lebron and cap space. Still skeptical anyone might think similarly, just read this thread regarding wades contract value a few weeks ago. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=255383&page=4

4. heypartner

heypartner Member

blablehblah,

As Rockets2K points out, the Over-36 rules is going to make 5-yr deal with Wade very difficult.

You can't add yrs to an old player like that as a way to get around the cap. The late yrs will get added to the early yrs for cap calculations see below

The math might look complicated but the idea is simple: deferred compensation or any likely earned bonuses are allowed in contracts but they count towards the salary cap starting yr one. The deferred compensation (ie any yrs past 36 ) are added up and spread across the under 36 hrs of those contact. That additional amount to the early yrs must fit under the cap

So a 5 yr deal for 5m each yr where the last 3 yrs are over a age 36 count 12.5m towards the cap the 1st 2 years

#104 heypartner, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  5. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Well said. I agree 100% with that assessment. :)

6. slestack11

slestack11 Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As free agency starts, James/Bosh/Wade plan to give Pat Riley a window to enact his plan on upgrading supporting cast, sources tell Yahoo.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/483780097950756864">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

Or what?

9. thephatp

thephatp Member

Or they resign anyway, whine about it throughout the season, then blame Riley when they don't win...again.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>That <a href="https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling">@JaredZwerling</a> tweet is consistent with what I've heard on Chris Andersen. If Miami wants him back, minimum-level may not do it.</p>&mdash; Ethan J. Skolnick (@EthanJSkolnick) <a href="https://twitter.com/EthanJSkolnick/statuses/483764867896053760">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

With the Lowry news, I've been looking at the FAs and I just don't see how Miami gets better. They would need the most help at PG and Center:

PG:
    Lowry - Signs with TOR
    Bledsoe - Gets close to max from some other team, out of MIAs price range
    Jameer Nelson/Isiah Thomas - I don't know how much better they make MIA
    Chalmers - next best available

Centers:
    Gortat - This is the only real true option where I can see MIA getting better, but I think Gortat will opt to sign elsewhere for more $$$
    Monroe - Well require max or close to, out of price range
    Pau - could possibly work if everyone takes a pay cut but I don't see the styles fitting very well

So that leaves it to alternative options to get better that don't involve PG or Center and you really come down to two options:
    Load up on role players, but not sure they can build a better team than last year like this
    or
    Carmelo - which would require a lot of working together to make it happen and I just don't see it

So, how does this Miami team get better to satisfy Lebron's needs of being on a true contender? I just don't see it right now....
    That said, still not sure Lebron leaves, but I just don't see how this Big 3 can carry this team at this point in their careers.