1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Goldbergs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Anyone else watching this show? I think it has a lot of promise. What makes it so funny (to me) is that, apparently, it's all true. The whole premise for the show is based on the home movies of the show's creator.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wanted to like it, but that premier episode wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I agree, it does have promise. 80/90s shows are nostalgically hilarious. One thing I liked about the show are the throw back sneakers!

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I missed the premiere, but the 2nd episode was pretty funny, with the z cavaricci clothes.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Could not get into it at all

Rocket River

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think what makes '80s nostalgia onward more exasperating than boomer stuff is that we started treating entertainment products like historical events.

6. ima_drummer2k

I think once they start developing the characters a little more, it will be more about them and less about the 80's nostalgia. We already saw a little bit of that with the dad and the daughter in the last episode.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Just on old home movies alone, I always thought Youtube should devote more category space to just the simple home-shot family & friends vids. I dont think a video of showing your baby's first tooth and meal or their first day in school or your dumb 2 minute skit you acted out in bedroon wearing socks not trying too hard should be up against actual quality produced special effect webisodes and twerk compilation vids. Even if its people with extraordinary mundane lives it can at least appear more thoughtful. (Or have it on another site)

Im actually surprised that "the 60s - 80s pants / hair / mustache IS the joke itself" approach has this much juice left for comedy purposes

Not that Happy Madison productions even care

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched an episode of this last week after a friend said I should. Couldn't get into it. It was so damn corny. I thought I was watching some kind of "That 80's Show" and "Wonder Years" mash-up.

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I like the premise and that it was based on a real people. Also Jeff Garlin is funny no matter what he is in. I hate the little kid. He does not sound like a real kid. The way he talks to his parents doesn't seem right what so ever. Nobody talks that in 6th or 7th grade.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has a good cast for the most part. I like the concept. There are plenty of flaws to not make it a favorite, but I do love the real home movies they show at the end, and the context you get from watching the rest of the episode. It's enough to keep me watching for the time being to see how it develops. I have a positive feel towards the series, but it's not something I love.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You mean Mike Golic?

[​IMG]

12. Poloshirtbandit

I watched the first episode and liked it. Haven't watched the second one yet.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i rather have happy endings back

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'd give it a C grade so far.

I'm partial to anything 80's so they had me with the premise.

Also, count me in among those that always see Mike Golic when I see Garlin on TV.

What's the word on Brooklyn Nine Nine? I've only been able to watch 5 mins of it so far and was thinking a C- might be appropriate for that. Or is it worse?

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

This stupid damn show has its entire timeline in a crapstorm. 90% of the time it's in late 1989, because that's when the idiot writer was growing up, and now I'm watching them talking about "The Day After" which came out in 1983.

True? My assho**.

EDIT. They literally talked about "Teddy Grahams" which I didn't even know were a thing. But apparently they came out in 1988... In an episode talking about 1983.

I wish this show would watch Wonder Years or Happy Days. Neither were this poor to their story material...

#15 Roscoe Arbuckle, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    CCity Zero and ima_drummer2k like this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I don't really think the show ever came out and said 'this is going to be a true reflection of chronological history'

I think it's entertaining.

But that's just me, and I don't have a notebook and pen jotting down what year they said they're in and the historical accuracy of all that's happening in the episode.

Plus I like to see the daughter.

17. ima_drummer2k

Good to have you back. :)

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

I like the 80s references.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, the time line for the 80s is terrible, like just insanely bad... it skips all around, it seemed to do better at first but it's getting to the point where it's almost using stuff from 90s like late late 89/1990. Then the stupid point about the Jordan shoes, the kid wanted Reebok pumps in one episode and now Jordans (don't get me wrong this happens now w/ kids but the ordering is wrong for the model and the time frame, without looking... I am pretty sure pumps were big late late 80s, Jordan first shoe 84... So how did the kid get the pumps before the first Jordan shoe, I want to say Jordan it was 1st edition but I'm not going to check.. ) ? The timelines don't work, like the movies especially, after tomorrow or whatever was way early 80s . I think they just throw a bunch of **** out there and hope it works, and I guess it does, I particularly think the last part of the learning lesson is just stupid it's poor version of Wonder Years

I viewed for nostalgia of the times but that's starting to nosedive.. I also hear they're doing a spinoff with the coach featured but during the 90s.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You don't know Teddy Grahams? They are awesome, but not the new soft ones, which are terrible.