1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not sure the payoff in the last two episodes was worth the slow burn. I do like all the members of the Rocinante though.

At least we will get a second season, but damn, we have to wait until 2017. That is a very long time, especially after a finale that was just OK for me.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. I think I'm done.

Nice special effects though.

3. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

I was pretty disappointed when I found out the season ended with episode 10. Agree with the others that it was a slow burn with a mildly satisfying payoff. There was just way too much hype with this show and I was expecting more.

That being said, I did enjoy the show and will be tuning in for season 2. 2017 is a long ways away but I think the books will hold me over.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed all the books so far, but they break down into little "sub stories" of two books each, more or less.

Book two, Caliban's War completes book one for me. I'd recomending reading at least that one. Abaddon's Gate and Cibola Burn involve their the same characters of the earler books, and sequentially follow the Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War follow the characters and events of the first books, but almost stand alone as a separate story. Same with Nemesis Games (and presumably the aaas yet unreleased Babylon's Ashes).

I'd read at least Caliban's War when you have a chance and then decided if you want to go firther

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just found it on Amazon Prime am about 7 episodes in, amazing.

DD

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This show is vastly overrated. Looking forward to season 2 being a big improvement.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I keep hearing about this show being really good? Is it actually worthwhile? Last scifi series I loved was the reboot BSG....

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm in for season 2, but I think they hyped it up because it is so expensive.

dmoneybangbang and GRENDEL like this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Definitely watch and let us know what you think. It improves as it progresses and closes well.

GRENDEL likes this.
  10. DaDakota

The Universe is rich, lots to be done in it.

DD

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've read most of the books but i'm having some trouble following the series plot -- just started on Amazon maybe it will click after a few episodes.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It is confusing until the end IMO. Even after the season finale, I wasnt sure of anyone's motivations or why the big reveal was the big reveal. You're lucky you are watching it now with season 2 coming in February.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One major problem with the show is the very poor way it's universe is introduced. I thought about giving up. After you understand the fundamentals of Earth/Mars/Belters and get a grip on the main characters, you can see the potential. After finishing season 1, it's clear there is major upside.

The Expanse can end up being a great series but the clumsy way it started doesn't give me confidence in the writers.

14. dmoneybangbang

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz. I don't remember why I said this. I vaguely remember this show. Didn't leave much of an impression, although nice to know I noted that the special effects are worth watching.

Is this the show that premiered on Youtube, right? And the first episode was really cool, but it got slow and muddled after that.

Guess I'll rewatch the last two episodes and the Season 2 premiere.

16. DaDakota

Great season opener - anyone else watching?

DD

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

dvr'ing. will binge later.

18. dmoneybangbang

Thanks for reminding me it came out!

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Opener was fine but the show still doesn't live up to the hype some critics give it. IMO.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Does this show deserve a season 3 separate thread? There is a season 2 thread.. any who.. Season 3 is back tonight. Are you guys excited?

No Worries likes this.