1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] SNL Season 37

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zlicciardo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

Alec Baldwin will host the premiere with Radiohead. Melissa McCarthy will host the following week with Lady Antebellum! All cast members returning! Should be a great year!

2. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

It's been a while since I've watched SNL. Is it very funny these days?

3. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

I thought last year was very funny many great digital shorts and hosts

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Really shocked Paul Brittain and Jay Pharaoh are coming back, thought they were goners after how little they got used last year. I guess they anticipate some Herman Cain Have come to grips that Abby Elliott is unimpeachable at this point although she contributes virtually nothing.

Think it's pretty awesome Sarah Schneider of CollegeHumor also got called up to the big leagues after her cup of coffee last year; she's gotten the credit for lots of great sketches that don't rely on a single joke driven into the ground over and over for 7 minutes as has become a SNL staple over the past few years.

At this point, SNL has become almost like a professional sport to me; the live nature of it, the inconsistency from week to week, how you can clearly see some of the younger performers improving across a season, the subtle hints who had a good week in the writers room according to how much or how little screen time they get. Hell, for me the Fred Armisen/Jay Pharaoh Barack Obama impersonation debate is more compelling than Kyle Orton/Tim Tebow...

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I feel you on that one man, I've tried to watch a few recently and some were pretty good, and the next skit would be a cheap joke being overused. I think the most obvious team to fall off was The Lonely Island, which, was there cash cow for a short time. The "I just had sex" was pretty funny but from thereafter it's been pretty garbage. I'll tune in here and there(probably on hulu or something) to see if it's gotten better.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Lonely Island is hit or miss.

Surprised Brittain's still there, I like him but he was seldom used. If Abby wasn't attractive she'd be gone.

I'm sick of Wiig being in like every single skit. She's funny, but like anything, too much ruins it. I hope we see lesd of her and more of Pedrad and Bayer.

Also, anyone feel like Samberg would benefit if he was just a writer, I rewatched season 36, and everytime he's up there he's either pretending to be a nerd or high, all of his impressions sound the same. He's a great comedic writer, and a bad actor.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought Paul was good when he actually got the screen time. JP was a huge disappointment; I really thought he would be a lot better. The Will Smith/Eddie Murphy/Denzell Washington impressions are spot on, but I was hoping he would be more than just an impressionist. I hope he improved his skit writing.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jay Pharoah is amazing.
    But yeah he ain't no comedian.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm not surprised about Pharoah. He doesn't add much outside of a few impressions, but those impressions are ones that I can't imagine being done by anyone else.

I am surprised, however, that Paul Brittain is back. He was so seldom used. I watched every episode from last season and I honestly can't remember a single bit he did.

I like the attitude Lorne seems to have about the show. By keeping all the cast members, I think he is looking to build continuity and comfort among the cast. I think the want and need for instant gratification has pushed him to shake things up too much in the past and now that he has a cast that he and the public seem to like, he's going to go with them.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

LOL, I had to say, I laughed a LOT during the opening skit...

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

how you pay?!

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Besides the open another bland episode. In other news: Jay Pharoah only one not included in the premier; looks like he still can't write. I thought he would have been in the Top Gun casting skit at least.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Terrible terrible episode.

Even Radiohead sounded a bit off.

Opening skit was ****ing terrible, everything ****ing sucked.

****ing sucked a huge ass dog dick.

**** SNL. **** it in its stupid ass.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Wow, you really are that boring..

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

"You know you want it."

#15 No Worries, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its official: radiohead is boring.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

But your mom and I still had banal sex.

OHHHHH, sick burn.

Don't worry folks, I'll be retiring soon.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You son of a b****. :mad:

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Yeah its interesting how your posting style changes on Friday and Saturday nights. Don't drink and post, bro.