1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] Tyrant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2014.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

New show on FX.

Premise: Dictator of fictitious Arab country Baladi has two sons. The younger one leaves for America early in life (16) and becomes a pediatrician with an American wife and two American children. He has not returned home to his country since leaving and has very little to do with his family. He is the main character, Basam. At the start of the show, his nephew (son of his older brother and heir) is getting married and Basam is convinced to return home for the first time in 20 years.

The setting is present day even though the country is fake. The fall of other Arab dictators is referenced and it is clear that the so called "Arab Spring" is threatening this small country.

[​IMG]

So...anyone watching?

I watched the first episode and I was impressed. Definitely going to the top of my watch list.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

recording it but haven't watched yet. caught a couple scenes and they looked good.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thought it was great and set to record the series. Looking forward to the rest.

4. justtxyank

Definitely advise watching. Acting is strong, script is strong, filming is well done, editing is well done.

Honestly the production seemed like a good HBO show. It's on FX so I don't know what kind of traction it can pick up, but honestly the pilot was a "page turner" to steal a phrase from a different medium. Actually felt more engaged after this debut than I did after watching Homeland Episode 1.

Cast seems really strong.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Was fairly impressed with the first episode, I'll keep watching.

6. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Watched the first, wasn't too bad.

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Wasn't bad, will wait a few more episodes to see what direction they go in.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The show pretty directly parallels Assad. Good start with a major twist in episode 1.

9. justtxyank

Not really. They take small facts from several dictators and Middle Eastern countries so that you see some familiarity to certain things to make it feel real.

Assad was not in self imposed exile.

There are parts of Assad's narrative in there, some stuff from Sadam's sons, etc.

10. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

they raping everybody on this show.

except homeboy's son. he's one of them obama queers.

I keed, I keed. not a homophobic.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

So, is this show about the different cultures as viewed through Basam's perspective?

12. justtxyank

Well we are one episode in, but the show looks to be a political type thriller of sorts.

Beware, thar be spoilers below, argh!

The pilot episode is Basam returning to his home for the first time in 20 years with his American family to see his nephew's wedding. During the wedding, his dictator father dies and his brother in a rage is involved in a car accident. Basam is trying to flee the country back to America after the death of his father, but the airplane is stopped by security forces. It is apparent that Basam and his family will not be allowed to return home.

The plot seems to be that Basam will be forced to deal with the political unrest in his home country that he has wanted no part of for 20 years. We are told that there are terrorists groups trying to kill members of the royal family and that the people in general are demanding freedom similar to what has happened in Egypt. There is also an apparently powerful general at the head of the military.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw it .. .it was ok
    Friends were annoyed by Jamal's intro [with the family]
    Kind of a tired way to show his . . uhm . . .disposition and authority

I dunno . . may give it an episode or two

Rocket River

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Friends were annoyed by Jamal's intro

yeah that was super-slimy, did I miss the explanation of who and why. (my wife prefers that I FF through rape scenes and execution scenes)

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That was kind of the point
    They never said . . ..

My friend go into the 'rape culture' thing
    it is just an old trope to show he is a bad man . . .
    the woman was just a prop . . . .
    I mean . . there are other ways to say he is a bad man . . .
    Just kind of a lazy way to show it, using the woman as a prop.

I hope they come back to it . . .
    Make her and her family important
    otherwise it is just meh . . . .throwaway scene

I am not as sensative to it . . . but i can see their point

Rocket River

16. justtxyank

No you did not miss the explanation, there just wasn't one.

17. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I saw it too but wasn't fond of the setting....enough for me.

18. justtxyank

Well...

She and her family were important. She ended up being the one who tried to kill him at the end of the episode.

They sort of explained some of it. His wife has not affection for him and they don't have sex. He's a psychopath and is clearly insecure with rage issues. He takes out his anger on people who can't fight back. Rape is normally about power and anger.

It was important to show his psychological issues. Both he and Basam have psychological issues stemming from their father and their youth. They've each gone down different roads.

What will be interesting to see is who truly is the "tyrant" in the show.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's kind of cool, like an entertaining movie but also at the same time incredibly cheesy and cliche. The main actor and his wife kind of sucked at acting too. I'll probably never watch it again.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the main character becomes some sort of Walter White-type ruthless badass instead of some sort of good natured leader.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The wife is kind of annoying but the show was entertaining. I'll keep watching.