1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] The Wire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Buck Turgidson

I would be curious to hear why so many think that season 2 is the worst of the series....

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

The Ziggy character was just too much.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it wouldn't have been "the worst" if had not been for how alone it seems in the scope of the series. There is continuity between almost all of the other seasons. The introduction of the port plot line, no matter how important The Greeks are later, stands alone from everything else.

I still love that season and its themes. It's just that it takes a while for the gang to "get back together" and re-organize Major Crimes. The Sobotka's are nothing for the rest of the series and too much time is devoted to them.

However, in true Wire fashion, it all fits. You can complain about season 2 but, like I said, if this were any other show, season 2 would be the touchstone of that franchise. This being The Wire, it's just a brief low-point.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

So I just finished season 4 and yeah that was pretty sad. i think the last episode was kinda weak though. gonna start up season 5 soon, hope it goes out with a bang.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

sheeeeeeeeit!!! Ever since the Wire, I pronounce the S word just like Clay Davis.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0B-QE_g3JPU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0B-QE_g3JPU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Okay, so I gave up on TV a long time ago - none of it was very interesting, most of it was pretty stupid.

So, a friend convinces me to watch 'Breaking Bad' and ... holy damn ... it was AWESOME. I downloaded all the available seasons and watched them in a matter of days. But, otherwise, I didn't really watch anything else other than the Weather Channel and Rockets games.

...so, the same friend, a year or so later, has to pick his jaw off the floor when I mentioned that I've neither seen nor heard of "The Wire."

I watched all 5 seasons in four days, in between work and brief periods of sleep.

What a ******* awesome show. It was so well-written. Little details really picked it up ...
    .. like Omar exaggerating his limp when he's hitting Marlo's stashes, then walking fine when he goes into the store to get Newports (just before he gets shot by the kid) ... or when the FBI profiler tries to explain McNulty's fake homeless killer, and ends up describing McNulty himself ...

Of course, now I'm completely bummed because I can't imagine another show that compares to it.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Wire is awesome, but watching 5 seasons in 4 days is kind of overload. When I got into it I watched all 5 seasons in about a month and a half.

10. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The Shield is just as good, imo... they rank 1a and 1b.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Not only is it a great drama, it's probably the most ambitious show to date.

Why "The Wire" is being taught in Harvard, Brown, Duke, Berkeley, Middlebury and various other prestigious school's social anthropology courses.

http://www.slate.com/id/2245788/

12. aghast

aghast Member

I don't know what ICarly is, but I do know that its writers are incredibly bored with children's television:

The Strangest Wire Callback I Know Of:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CoaCR0mL4Gg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A reference to one of the best Wire scenes (the best is the "F---." "F---." murder investigation scene) [major Season 4-5 spoiler]:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sHT-VOLVFzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like how the characters in "The Game" in The Wire accept their own deaths as inevitable.
    Stringer, Prop Joe, Snoop, especially Snoop; even Brother Mouzone & Prop Joe's Right Hand Man both accept it, though Omar chooses not to shoot.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I normally dread child acting (Harry Potter is unbearable), but season 4 of the wire is fantastic. This is the season in which they introduce the schools and has some of the best child acting ever

14. aghast

aghast Member

Interesting. DirecTV ran The Wire on its 101/Audience network, one a week straight through, and the last episode was last Sunday--so I just saw this show for the first time in its entirety.

If Omar was exaggerating
    his limp, isn't this what got him killed? After all, it was the tough little kid who got ----ed up by Mike in Season 4 for stealing the stash from Wee-Bay's son, that killed him, the same kid who a few episodes earlier had been there when Mike was robbed, and commented on how badly Omar was holding up. He's the same kid who didn't run away when Omar passed (Omar would have little reason to fake in front of children?), realizing that the Boogie Man of legend was in fact severely injured, human after all.

Omar wasn't trying to act weak, he was trying to call Marlow out into the streets. I thought the limp was real. The last act of Omar the Legend was him jumping out a fifth story window, mid-gun battle, and disappearing/surviving. That crippled the real man behind the myth [he's shown, alone, bandaging himself and creating a splint/cane from a mop handle]. I'm not discounting your observation; but what would be the play with him faking?

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow I never thought I'd see a reference to The Wire on iCarly. I wonder how many iCarly fans got that?

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

...Omar was exaggerating his limp, I believe, because it would bring Marlo and his people down to the street, would make them more likely to attack, if they thought he was weak. At first, I thought, that the Wire's creators wouldn't let a mistake, like Omar forgetting his limp, pass by - so there must be a purpose to it. I think that's the purpose - if Omar's walking around looking all gimpy and is calling Marlo out as a b****, and Marlo's not showing up - for one, it makes Marlo look even more like a b****, and secondly, it makes him more likely to come down to street level if Omar doesn't look like as much of a threat. I think it was done on purpose.

I guess I could check out the Shield, but my hopes aren't high.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that's the actor's (Isiah Whitlock) calling card! I haven't seen the Wire but he used the line first in The 25th Hour as well as on stage in a NY play I once saw

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Probably the best thing I've ever seen on TV. Finished it this summer and thought it was amazing. I was already hooked but the scene with McNulty and Bunk investigating a murder scene - which uses only one word - was when I knew for sure it was something special.

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now on Netflix instant streaming, so that's next up.

RE: Marlo
    EDIT: NM, I see what you are saying. Still gonna reference that awesome scene with Marlo and his crew in lockup.

"MY NAME IS MY NAME!!"

The '100 best quotes from The Wire' on Youtube is a must watch, btw.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My favorite dramas:

1. Six Feet Under
    2. The Wire
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Dexter

20. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Did anyone else notice during the Texans game yesterday against the Colts that Bodie was the FedEx guy in the commercial where the guy eats the paper?

1 person likes this.