1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] The Sing-Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Anyone watching this show?

TV is totally saturated with redundant talent shows, but I tuned in just because of Ben Folds and now I'm hooked. Nice to have judges who are actual musicians instead of just personalities.

Anyway, I'm pulling for Afro Blue as they are clearly the most talented and I dig their jazzy style but for some reason the judges don't seem to agree.

That being said, this performance might be the best I've seen all season. Stunningly good version of a Queen medley.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X9PHMklaqwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Enjoyed the previous "season" of the show. I will definitely watch again.

3. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I was a fan ever since I discovered some videos of Committed and Street Corner Symphony via youtube.
    There are some serious and legit talent on this show and this is the first singing talent show that I have truly latched on to, mainly because its not overly superficial with the background stories and production glamour, and the judges are actually legit! :eek:

The competitors are truly passionate about singing and the judges are genuinely concerned with providing constructive criticism of the groups to help improve them and the judges reactions and responses (particularly from Shawn Stockman) are genuine and sometimes funny

I would highly recomment this show. Its so awesome to me because the groups each bring their own niche and versatility and the show showcases all types of music

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I actually was rooting for the Yellowjackets because they were the first all-male college acapella group that was actually versatile and hip, not just the typical gay (in the upbeat, awkwardly-always-happy kind of way) group that just tries to emulate Glee. Danny has a killer voice and I loved their energy and song choices.

Afro-Blue is definitely on a different league in terms of musical technicality and arrangement, but their jazz sound and song choices don't always draw you in (I'm not an avid R&B guy). If they would do some more catchy songs I think they would be more popular.

Dartmouth Aires has a SUPERSTAR in Michael and although they don't bring any "edge" to them, they are just so fun to watch and that Queen Medley by them was just EPIC WIN stuff. Completely blown away by that performance. Just flawless victory

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I watched the first 2 seasons and have been a part time watcher this year.

Loved the first clip...holy cow was that good.

Thanks for posting.

DD

6. Yao11

Yao11 Member

I've been keeping up with this season so far and Delilah is my pick to win it all. They've got the full package.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WDysZvTHrg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Yao11

Yao11 Member

I rest my case.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M6YlmEVyGrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Prince

Prince Member

the queen medley rocks...

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I liked the first 2 seasons but it seems to have turned into the Rap-Off this season. Not as interested. I was pissed when North Shore got kicked off. They were the only group I really liked.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I've been watching :)

Pentatonix is my group... they are so unique for an acapella group.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_YcIaWirew?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_YcIaWirew?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaTPQD7bUCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WaTPQD7bUCo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMJMsBnYooA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMJMsBnYooA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#10 Hayesfan, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching this show for the first time this season. I had no idea it existed until this year but I absolutely LOVE acapella music, so this is right up my alley. I enjoy Ben Folds but the girl and the Boyz 2 Men guy get on my nerves. Mostly I just fast forward to the performances and the vote off.

And I definitely disagree that Afro Blue is clearly the most talented. To me Dartmouth Aires and Delilah are way better, talent-wise. Delilah can be a bit inconsistent but has put together a couple good weeks in a row. Darmouth Aires never disappoint me and I am really pulling for them to win. I also really enjoy Vocal Point.

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Are straight guys allowed on this show?

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Pretty subpar performance, but then again I'm comparing them to street performances on the streets of Milan so my standards are set pretty high.

What impressed me about these guys is the fact they attend Dartmouth. So you just know they're outstanding citizens, give back to the community, have integrity and high morals, and most of all, are just really smart consummate professionals. I know this is supposed to be a "talent" competition but don't act like a prestigious name and a history of excellence don't mean anything.

Make the right vote, America.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Hayesfan

I like all of the ones that are left... and I liked the Yellow Jackets too.

Afro Blue has some great voices, but their blend is only okay.

The Aires have so many similarly talented singers that not one stands out too much, which is a detriment in a show like this one.

Delilah is getting better, but they are just a group of lots of individually talented women, not an acapella group (though Street Corner Symphony last year was created the same way and they were successful to a point)

Vocal Point got by at the beginning with the sympathy factor because of Ben's father's death... but they have sounded better since he's been back.

Urban Method has only one really talented member - and he's only going to take them a couple more weeks if that.

If you can't tell... I like Pentatonix to win the whole thing :) They have the one supertalented member in Kevin - dude does unbelievable things with his vocal percussion... Avi is just slightly below his talent and the three singers they have blend well.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think Michael is a standout? That dude is amazing and the judges keep commenting on how much of a superstar he is.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

The guy is so captivating to watch (no homo), even though he doesn't have a classically great voice and timbre. He has good range, pitch control and a very unique timbre though that can cross a lot of genres.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

you know how i know you're gay?

19. Hayesfan

I think he could be, but they don't utilize him as such enough

edit: which one is Michael? See what I mean... I can't remember is he the curly mop headed one or the tall black guy?

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've been watching performances on YouTube. My favorite group was the Yellow Jackets. They were so much fun, like this season's On the Rocks. Their "Wannabe" and "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" were great performances, as well as "Tub Thumping".

Yes, I know neither were that vocally talented, but they were performers and made a capella entertaining.