1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] House Of The Dragon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Oct 5, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With lord of the rings out they need to up their budget and use real dragons.

clos4life, Jontro, DreamShook and 4 others like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Awesome episode. The politicking is on point and Viserys frustrations about pleasing one means angering another is evident and you really do feel for him.

That battle scene was damn good as well.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

English history fan fiction but with DRAGONS! show is OK. I'll keep watching.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Since our special friend @Ziggy requested I watch and review the show, I got caught up.

I don't think the show is bad, and it could get quite good knowing where it's all going for the most part. My only issue is that I really don't care about our particularly like any of the characters.

In some ways I appreciate that, they are all very flawed characters (which is something GRRM does often), so that can make them more realistic.... but as a result, in this instance I don't really root for any of them to succeed because I don't like them.

With the original, you had a massive collection of flawed characters.... but I liked several of them at all times, even a lot of the obvious villains.

IMO that's where this one has thus far missed the mark..... but it's worth watching as of right now.

DreamShook likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The show might have been slow but the characters were a lot more engaging IMO. And there was so much set up. I remember the first couple episodes, even if I was lost and a casual, you could root for a bunch of characters. Tyrion, Ned, All of the Stark Children. You could hate The Lannisters You were wondering what was going to happen to Bran. and Jon at the wall. Why Mom Stark hated Jon so damn much. DireWolves. There was a White Walker the first scene of the show. There was intrigue.

HOT D is actually moving much faster than GOT, so far but it's cruising through all this stuff that I guess doesn't matter or just set up? Crab guy is gone after 3 episodes. There was no time to even care about that huge ass battle or how these dudes were fending off all these damn dragons for so long.

What am I looking forward to exactly? Am I just waiting for a male heir to grow up and take the throne?

This is for real feeling like watching a history book.

RunninRaven and Yung-T like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crab face
    they should have given some back story to this dude. I wanted to see the fight in the cave breh

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's 200 years before GoT, so they have to rebuild the characters both for the audience to care and later to harvest at the juiciest moments.

I don't know. I didn't like how GoT ended, so I'm not expecting much out of this one.

They (rightfully) blamed the last show runners Weiss and Benioff for how GoT ended, but those two were treated as geniuses for its first 3 seasons that you know and love.

Maybe the show needs more nudity and brothel scenes while talking shop, but it's now too unwoke and inappropriate. Tyrion's ho had a lot of screen time to discuss the plot. Not much here with the bro's ho outside of an all inclusive orgy.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No that's not what this show needs... This vid is basically what I mean by how HOT D is not really doing it for me (right now) in relation to GOT. Except I don't feel the intrigue from HOT D this guy is talking about.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

I like the show, they are setting up some stuff and the girl drama is good

11. dmoneybangbang

Just finished episode 3… I’m digging it more than Lord of Rings.

It’s good, not great so far. The acting is top notch and really gives dimensions to the characters but the suspense and intrigue hasn’t risen to a certain level yet. The battle scene of episode 3 was good but nothing noteworthy.
    RIP Crabfeeder

mikol13, DaDakota and tinman like this.
  12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Would help if the characters themselves were at least a bit interesting. None of them are. Storyline is fine and worth watching but the characters are just…hollow

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Not excited about the lame character / actor / actress changes, but the show is dope so far. Enjoying it. At least 8/10.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Better than Rings of Power is a low bar.

Bobbythegreat and tinman like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Maybe, but I’m going to give Rings a chance.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm giving it a chance because of Jeff

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Pretty much feel the same as this. I like it, has potential, but feel like I’m waiting for something bigger to happen.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with both points. At least, with GoT, you had characters that might have an ulterior motive. Everyone's motivations in HotD, so far, have been straightforward. And by that metric, they're boring because it's obvious what they're trying to do.

I didn't like the direction they went with the Crabfeeder. Not sure how he was written in the books, but episode 3 was a sad showing.

Thoughts on ep 3:
    So, the battles/war with the Crabfeeder have been going on for 3 years (I think that's how much time passed, from ep 2 to ep 3?) and the dude got baited into a wide open space just because Daemon surrendered? Crabfeeder and his army's biggest strength was the obscurity of the caves, and he and his army really didn't think it might be a trap? The other side has dragons, for goodness' sake. I'll take "things that can nuke an army instantly in a wide open space" for $500, Alex!

Moreover, you had like a gazillion archers with the high ground, and you couldn't take down a regular human being with the whitest hair ever? No camo, no super speed, no exceptional athletic skills, most obvious target ever due to the hair, and Daemon was only hit by like, 3 total arrows. Riiiiight.

Meanwhile, Daemon didn't think to do this sneaky tactic sooner? And only brought this tactic out in his most desperate time? Riiiiight.

Just wasn't written super well. I know they have to wrap up certain storylines since there's going to be another, more significant time jump soon, but there's just something about HotD that's lacking, when compared with GoT.

19. Beezy

Beezy Member

Yeah, the final battle scene was easily the worst part of that episode.

20. Buck Turgidson

I was expecting more out of that guy/situation given the buildup, something akin to the handful of huge battle sequences of GOT, and it just fizzled away. "Oh, that's it, he's dead?"