1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV Show)-Hoarders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 7, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have found the most disturbing show on TV, it is on A&E and it is about people who hoard things, their houses are disgusting, and the things they believe about their stuff is disturbing.

If you can check this show out, do it, but be prepared to be shocked.

DD

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

This is the kind of stuff where an old couple lives in this run down house and you go in only to find that one of them has been dead for months, if not years, and is still in the bed, surrounded by filth. Very creepy.

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

My wife loves this show. Sadly, I see a lot of my Mom in these people. My parents don't live in filth (thankfully, my Dad keeps some of that in check), but Mom definitely has an overly emotional attachment to stuff most people would call junk and rarely goes through their stuff to throw it away.

Watching this show, I see a pattern developing. There seem to be two primary types of hoarders: the Accumulators and the Trashers.

The Accumulators keep compulsively buying things they don't need, and then take them home and try to find a place for it. Their houses may be dirty, but it's usually a byproduct of the sheer amount of stuff they have. It seems like it's more of an emotional attachment to each and every item that gets in their way. My armchair diagnosis for most of these folks is OCD.

The Trashers live relatively ordinary lives, they just never throw anything away. Whatever garbage or refuse they produce, they just drop or leave wherever they're standing at the time. The lack of hygiene is truly staggering. The attachment for them seems less emotional, and more a case of being "overwhelmed" by the scope of the problem. These people seem to be more manic depressive/borderline personality type cases.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am cleaning my office right now because of the show...lol....

The only thing I hoard are video games, I never get rid of any of them, or the old systems.

I have tons of unopened games, that I will never get around to playing......

I think a garage sale is in order.

:D

DD

6. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

7. IROC it

IROC it Member

I saw the ad for it. Looks like the Style Network show "Clean House" without the clever cast and light-hearted dialogue... but with 10x worse crap in the dwellings. Disgusting.

8. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I think women are really bad at this. I always tease my wife when the previews show on TV......no my wife isn't as bad. Anyone else's spouse keep a ****load of shopping bags, I try to trash them when I get the chance.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This isn't about normal people. They have disorders.

It's like the cat ladies. They are easy to make fun of, but the sad fact is that they have a mental disorder of sorts and can't stop what they are doing. They don't understand that they aren't able to provide for the cats (or other pets). They believe that they are providing them with a good home, that they love them, etc.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I know, it is haunting....to watch these people unable to give up....junk.....

So sad.

DD

11. Beck

Beck Member

I watched 2 episodes last night. It was kind of freaky. The one woman was not willing to give up rotting food. And the one guy had young kids, and the young son appeared to be going down the same path.

I wouldn't be suprised to see these people fall into the same trap again, after they get everything cleaned up.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

My girlfriend and her mother watch this show but I have never caught it while they were watching. I guess a viewing is in order, and it will have to be sometime before the season kicks off.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

this show is crazy.. but for some reason, I can't stop watching it!

Did anyone see the one about the food hoarder? so disgusting. *barf

14. AXG

AXG Member

I thought I was bad. I still have many papers and toys from elementary school, but it's nowhere near the level of the people on this show.

15. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

This is the nasty and gross. Geez, i tried to watch it and within a 5 mins, I couldnt stomach it anymore.

16. ArtV

ArtV Member

I too am addicted to it. Its like a train wreck that I just can't turn away from. Not only the disgusting environment they are living in, but they have people coming in...for free... to clean the place up and they can't give up 1 of the 8 broken vaccuum cleaners when it's evident that they don't use any of them. Something is definately wrong.

My mom has some of this with clothes and the strange thing is that when she travels, she wears the same outfit for multiple days. I too am a little bit of a "pack rat" myself (nice name for a hoarder). I am always amazed at myself when I find stuff like that 486 with the 14k modem and the 14" (about 12.5" viewable) bubble monitor in the attic. What was I thinking when I thought that might come in handy and I'm sure the heat hasn't helped it any? I will say that if anyone wants to come by and clean out the attic for me for free - come on. I'm taking a week off next month just to clean up the house.

And I saw a show the other day that also amazed me and that was a "regular" woman who got all her food from dumpster diving because she doesn't like planet waste. She lived in NYC and even gave classes (nighttime of course) on it on the best places with dos and don'ts. At least I understand where she is coming from. George has met his match.