1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Shannara Chronicles on MTV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nono, Jan 8, 2016.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The 3rd episode was a lot better than the 2 part pilot. The elf human hybrid guy was a lot less annoying.

I'm getting a Legend of the Seeker vibe from this show. I liked Legend of the Seeker..

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh man, I loved that show.

DD

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Was Legend of the Seeker based on Sword of Truth series?

By the way, the best "Shanarra" books was the "Word and Void" set in present day...and are kind of super-prequels. (Shanarra isn't even mentioned)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone else watching this? It is really good.

DD

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Eretria is worth watching.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read the Sword of Shannara over 30 years ago...and it rocked...just to put things in context.

We've gradually become super saturated with swords & sorcery/fantasy since(computers/movies) ....glad the genre took off the way it did, but don't write off this trilogy, the Conan books, or good ole fashioned D&D.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, I finally caught up on watching this series. Initially I thought it was worthwhile inspire of itself.

1. The acting was horrible. I don't need characters to speak with English accents or anything. But just speaking standard English or non-regional American would work. Instead we had characters saying "coul'n't,", "I haf ta' go there", and using Boston/New York street accents doesn't work.

That was the biggest problem I had with it initially.

Then when they started in with the Planet of the Apes style twists, and having things from modern times in it, that was horrible. I was still hoping it wouldn't be too much, but then there was a gun fight in the 'Utopia' episode and I couldn't take it.

If I'm going to by into the world of the story as a world of elves, magic, swords, gnomes, trolls, and all of that, don't take me out of it by having their be a high school prom scene followed by a gun battle.

That pushed the series over the edge from passable to complete failure.

Initially the production values were good enough, and the story interesting enough to make it passable despite all the other things that were wrong with it.

But too much was just too much. In the end it was a saddening failure, and it didn't have to be.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The main problem was that it was clearly very low low budget