1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Series] Doctor Who

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Has anybody seen this series? I know its an England thing, but Netflix recommended it to me and now I seem rather intrigued. I'm only one episode deep, but I have to ask, is it worth pressing on into the next five seasons?...

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I've watched the first four seasons... one with Eccleston and three with Tennant... and loved them. Not sure about moving onto Smith, but I've heard he does well with it.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

See, I noticed on IMDB that there are like 5 Doctors. Without spoiling it, is it like Neo and the Matrix? Or do they just cast new people and pretend nothing happened? To say the least I'm confused, but it just seems like it has a lot of potential.

4. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

It's difficult to explain without spoiling it. But I'll just say that the casting of different actors is crucial to the story line.

Very quality show if you're a sci-fi fan. I just got into it recently myself. I'm halfway through season 3.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

My son and I love this show. We have seen every episode of the new set. The changing of actors is like was said above part of the story, so I will leave it there, but know it isn't because the actor is bad or quit or anything. The switch is intended. Eccleston was good, Tennant is my favorite and Matt Smith has been really good, as well. It is very worth continuing, and if you are a fan of sci-fi you will probably like it. Part of the draw for me is the historical fiction aspect the show takes on. Many of my favorite episodes are takes on some historical events. The Matt Smith/Vincent Van Gogh may be my overall favorite.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

EXTERMINATE!

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Sorry my friend, had I seen it I would have just posted inside there... I googled searched it and everything, but it didn't come up. Oh well..

I am addicted. The productions values seem really poor and yet I'm still hooked. Plus, I think I'm in love with the girl on it. British blond girls are my weakness.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

five seasons lol

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

eeehh, Rose was ok, but Amy Pond(current companion) blows her away.

[​IMG]

A very nice non-Who picture:eek:
    [​IMG]

Dont restrict yourselves to just the more recent stuff guys and gals...The Doctor has been around for a VERY long time. The current Doctor is the 11th as this show has been running since 1963.

I HIGHLY recommend the Tom Baker(The 4th Dr) episodes, they can all be found on piratebay.

Oh, and I dont feel an explanation of how they explain the changing of the actors necessarily spoils any story lines. ....but in case Im wrong Ill spoiler it.
    The changing of actors playing the part of the Doctor is explained within the series by the Time Lords' ability to regenerate after suffering illness, mortal injury or old age. The process repairs and rejuvenates all damage, but as a side effect it changes his physical appearance and personality. This ability was not introduced until producers had to find a way to replace the ailing William Hartnell with Patrick Troughton and was not explicitly called "regeneration" until Jon Pertwee's transformation to Tom Baker at the climax of Planet of the Spiders (1974). On screen, the transformation from Hartnell to Troughton was called a "renewal" and from Troughton to Pertwee a "change of appearance".
    The original concept of regeneration or renewal was that the Doctor's body would rebuild itself in a younger, healthier form. The Second Doctor was intended to be a literally younger version of the First; biological time would turn back, and several hundred years would get taken off the Doctor's age, rejuvenating him. In practice, however, after the Doctor stated his age in the Second Doctor serial The Tomb of the Cybermen (1967), the Doctor's age has been recorded progressively, however many regenerations the Doctor goes through (but see below). In six out of ten transitions, the new actor was younger than his predecessor had been when he began the role. In the revived series the pattern is resumed with the transition of the Ninth to the Tenth and the Tenth to the Eleventh Doctor, although current showrunner Steven Moffat is on record stating the intention was to cast an actor in his mid 30s to 40s for the role of the Eleventh Doctor,<sup id="cite_ref-30sto40s_13-0" class="reference">[14]</sup> despite casting Matt Smith who is the youngest actor to ever have played the role.

yeah...Kids, right? :p

11. Convictedstupid

I freaking love Doctor Who. August 27th!!!

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The first four season are great. David Tennant is the man. The new seasons with Matt Smith and the new head writer are unwatchable. But in fairness, nobody could of followed Tennant. Make sure you don't forget to watch all the Dr. Who movies as well (most are streamed on Netflix).

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Billy is no slouch

Rocket River

14. MontyMarch

MontyMarch Member

torchwood is even better with lot of sex & clever banter....
    superb for the discerning adult audience....

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I agree re: production value. BBC doesn't seem to have the same budget as U.S. networks, but the visuals work for the stories being told.

2. I rather like the Matt Smith seasons and don't think it's a down-grade from the Tenant years. This year, I've enjoyed the 4th Episode ("The Doctor's Wife") and the latest ("A Good Man Goes to War"). It's probably a matter of personal preference though.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I've enjoyed all the companions (though I didn't think I would because I loved Rose so much)

There is a lot of great writing and story-telling in the series.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's all been downhill since Tom Baker.

18. cod

cod Member

I only started watching Doctor Who again with Matt Smith in the role. I'm the opposite found the Tennant and Eccleston shows unwatchable.

I can watch the Troughton, Pertwee, Tom Baker, Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy episodes very easily. Even though that tv movie was bad I would have loved to have seen more of Paul McGann as the Doctor.

The shows of the first Doctor, Hartnell, are bit too dated for my tastes. He's also differs the most from the other Doctors in terms of character. A bit like a non-camp Dr. Smith from Lost in space.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Tee-hee

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

25 Seasons!?!?!?! How have I never heard of this show before this weekend then? I must have been living under a rock!

I freaking love this show. I just finished the first season (well of the 2005 revival) and I don't see myself watching anything else. Why is this not on SyFy?