1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Robert Kirkman's Outcast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tUe4KD8mqZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Robert Kirkman explains how the Outcast TV series will expand on the comics

After bringing the zombie genre back to undead life, The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman's next horror TV project will tackle demonic possessions with an adaptation of his and artist Paul Azaceta’s Image Comics series, Outcast.

Outcast centers around Kyle Barnes (Patrick Fugit), a young man whose loved ones have been victims of demonic possession since he was a wee child. As an adult, Kyle tries to discover what is causing those possessions with the help of hard-drinking Reverend Anderson (Philip Glenister), and why he has special abilities. But what he could uncover may have some major consequences and “mean the end of life on Earth as we know it.” Now, that doesn't sound good.

First published in 2014, there are only 14 issues out so far. Interestingly enough, before it even hit comic-book store shelves, Outcast was being developed as a television series by Kirkman, and it was premium cable channel Cinemax that snagged the rights to the series set to air in 2016.

In a recent interview with Comic Book Resources during New York Comic-Con a few weeks back, Robert Kirkman discussed how closely the TV series will stick to the story being told in the comics.

We're definitely going to be, you know, straying from time to time and adding new elements and doing that kind of thing. But, listen, you watch "Walking Dead" Season Four, Five, Six -- they're actually very close to the comic, but there's new elements added. We keep things exciting, and "Outcast" is very much going to be like that. But, one of the cool things about what we're doing with "Outcast" is that, you know, a comic book -- 22-page story -- is only going to fill about 18 minutes of content in a television show. So we're actually expanding the cast, adding new characters and adding storylines to what we have in the comic book series. So the comics will be adapted, not exactly, but, you know, very closely. But then there will be new things added like Reg E. Cathey is playing ... Chief Giles ... who is a very minor character in the comic, which is -- while sometimes I can't even remember his name -- but he's a big character in the show.

Fair enough. Executive producer Chris Black then expanded on Kirkman’s comment, talking about how they were planning to expand on the universe of the comics for the TV series.

First of all, it's like the reason we're doing this -- the reason we're making this into a TV show, and the reason Cinemax bought it, is because of the comic. So, I mean, it is the starting point. It's the template. It's the -- it's what we go to, in terms of who these characters are, and what their long series arcs are, what the mythology of the show is. You know, it always comes back to that. I mean, we're not just going to do, you know, Issue #1 as the pilot and then like, "Okay, we're off!" You know, "Thanks, Robert!" ... But, like Robert says, you know, you -- because of just the nature of the comic, you don't have enough material. And, to some extent, it's even more than that, in that you have to -- a television show is a different kind of thing. You know, you have to create something separate and unique from what the comic is ... Robert created this world and he filled it with these people and he sort of set all of these things into motion, and then it's like, "Okay, guys, here's -- here's your world to play in." And then it's sort of -- you discover stuff that maybe Robert didn't necessarily plan.

Outcast also stars Gabriel Bateman (Stalker), Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation), David Denman (13 Hours), Melinda McGraw (The X Files, Mad Men), Grace Zabriskie (The Killing), Catherine Dent (The Shield, Astronaut Wives Club) and Lee Tergesen (The Americans). Are you looking forward to the upcoming supernatural drama series?

#1 Xerobull, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PWgvGjAhvIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Xerobull

Better version:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/brpub0hTbjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Xerobull

I read the first 15 comics over the weekend. If this show is anything like the comic, it will be much, much darker than The Walking Dead.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

first episode released by Cinemax

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBRe2ITyMxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

The average Clutchfan hates those who read things. Even if it's good, you will be assaulted by lazy contrarians. They're annoyed all of the time.

7. conquistador#11

that's not true at all. The problem comes in when said book readers go full "VY THE GREAT" mode and flood the thread. They will fill it with spoiler and the book is better attitude that makes one want to do one of these :rolleyes:

will check it out so far I've seen strike back, banshee, knick and hotel erotica. all great in their own way.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Excited for this. Hopefully it'll replace Banshee for me.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

first episode was pretty good

I would describe it as a serious Evil Dead

10. Xerobull

I think I've earned my stripes here as a fine upstanding dork with geek cred.