1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV) Pickers = new obsession

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jan 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Kam

Kam Member

Ohh boy. I used to watch that too on Sunday afternoons on PBS. Not sure why.

I remember a while back before 790 was sports talk, I forgot what they were, but they had an antique show on there.

2. giddyup

giddyup Member

I've watched "Pickers" from the outset. Now I drive around the country side spotting buildings that those guys would love a chance to rummage through.

Last night they found a guy who collected old buildings; he had a church, a country store, a gas station, a railroad car and a diner, I think. He also had each of them appointed with appropriate stuff... and he was willing to sell some of his stuff too.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That was an older episode, he had a white castle burger stand too...the new one was right after that.

DD

4. oomp

oomp Member

Love the show. As an Iowan I'm required to. :grin:

5. giddyup

giddyup Member

and didn't they say it was the original White Caste stand from Wichita, KS I believe?

That guy should just leave all that stuff there and turn it into a museum of sorts about the first third of the twentieth century and small-town life.

I believe they said that the general store was one that his family had patronized when he was a boy.

I love that kind of nostalgia...

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Heck yes, that is part of the appeal.....when they go and meet the folks that have gathered up all that "rusty" gold.

Honestly, I think Mike's enthusiasm for it is contagious.

DD

7. giddyup

giddyup Member

I've noticed his increasing obsession for All Things Bicycle... Frank's into oil cans... :confused:

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think those are their specialties.

The Mike guy knows like everything about bikes...

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If you go to Mike's company, antique archeology....he has tons of restored old motorcycles and bikes.

It looks like that is really his company, and that Frank sort of just joined him...at least by the website, there is no Frank there.

DD

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

I love the History Channel and quirky shows like this, but I just can't get past the two hosts. For reasons I can't explain, they just drive me nuts to the point that I can't enjoy the show.

11. giddyup

giddyup Member

I had the same response at first but pushed on through it. I'd been spoiled by the numnuts on Pawn Stars: Old Man, Rick, Big Hoss and Chumley!

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

First I thought DD meant:

[​IMG]
    =

new obsession

Anywho, this show kinda whomped to me, the guys are pretty dull and boring but I'm right there with you DD about the people saying, "nah I'll keep that 60 year old rusted up gas can that you're giving me 50 bucks for".

I'm with Kam, Gangland is about the only show that I can watch all the way thru on History Channel.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I'm calling fake on this show.

14. JJ

JJ Member

I'm pretty much hooked on Pawn Stars and American Pickers as well. But I only found the shows because I was watching "America: The Story of Us" for the last month. The show was pretty cool and it was narrated by the guy who does the HBO sports and 24/7 shows.

ABC Nightline did a quick profile of the 2 Picker guys last week. It was celebrating the guys and the success of the show, for the most part. It did talk about the critics who say that these 2 guys are lowballing people on items and then turning a profit. You can tell there are some things that have real sentimental value for some of these old junksters, but then they sell it to the guys and then the guys sell it again for profit. I can see that arguement, but I also say if it means that much to you dont sell it.

History Channel FTW!

15. ArtV

ArtV Member

I was a little suspicious after last night's show. How does a guy that rummages through barns happen to have Randy Newman's number? Smelled like a setup from the producers to me.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Who knows, maybe Randy Newman knew him already or met him at a function last year and gave him his number.

Not to mention most of the items they find are dead and buried for like 30 years or more....I think it is a win win for folks...everyone gets paid...for something that would have rusted away.

DD

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the only shows I like on the History Channel are shows about actual history. I think the concept of Pickers is cool, just not my speed. I like antique after someone has put in the work to fix it to make it look new

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I hope that someday some of the items they sell the show follows up on and shows them restored.

That is one of the things I like about Pawn stars when Rick takes something to Dean and then gets it looking sweet and then has to ask...."How much did it cost me?"

LOL

DD

19. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

watched a couple episodes. whats with that one guy and oil cans? who the **** would pay money for an old can?

saw the little preview about Newman... definite setup from the network.

20. giddyup

giddyup Member

For some reason, they are tying in "stars" to this year's show; that's the new way they are promoting it. I guess they figure to pull in some more viewers. It wouldn't be hard. Fan clubs know stars hobbies and publicists will arrange a little air time for their proteges. Totally unnecessary in my view but what you gonna do? It's their show.

Favorite all time picks? I gotta think about that one...