1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TV gurus here please.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Nov 12, 2012.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I decided on Black Friday I am going to buy a new TV for my room.

I currently have a Samsung 50 inch plasma which is about 2 1/2 years old. It developed three discolored vertical lines on the right side so I think I am going to give it to my folks and get a new one for myself. It's a little too big for my room as well

So here are the details.
    -TV sits about 4-6 feet away from me at a 70-80 degree angle.
    -I think I need somewhere between 40-46 inches is the ideal size.
    -Primarily will be for Rockets games and Colbert/Stewart, will be DISH or Comcast depending on if a deal gets worked out before Black Friday.
    -I don't think I have ever watched a Blue-Ray or DVD.
    - My Xbox was stolen so I don't have a console there, but that could change in the future.
    -Don't really care about 3D.
    -Its usually dark in my room.
    -I would like to keep it ~$500 give or take.

Here is where I started:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/5327266-Black-Friday-HD-TV-Price-Tracking-Thread-Discussion-Current
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aq3lKayMed5wdEs5clNWWW9FRzdNZmJJWU9laXJQcWc&toomany=true

All these choices overwhelm little ole me, so any recomendations are greatly appreciated.

So I am looking for LED vs LCD vs Plasma, resolution, refresh, best bang for the buck, etc.

Thanks!

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Are you going to have an accompanying amp/home theatre system to route various hdmi inputs through or are you going to try to do that through the TV? That might be a factor going into your decision for a TV.

I would recommend something by Sharp if you're looking to spend a little bit less money. I currently have a 42 inch Sharp Aquos that sits in my room at about the same distance you have. I recommend looking into that brand as I have had a great experience with it so far (about 2-3 years old)

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've had a 42 inch westing house for almost 7 years now.

Never had any issues. Decent low priced brand. Paid about $1199 or so for mine way back then.

Saw a 50 inch for $349 for black Friday at target iirc.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

At that size, I'd go with LED and just find a good deal with a well known brand.

Shouldn't be to hard to find something that will work for you.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what SHE said! :grin:

:eek: SRSLY, though... if you can stand watching these Thanksgiving and late season games on that TV, wait until Christmas sales or Super Bowl deals to get a good deal on a larger screen.

DLP is the cheapest "larger screen for less money" there is available.
    Class LED is the thinnest but also most expensive, in my experience of shopping. :cool:

Read this page: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

It has a good discussion on screen size and viewing distance:
    [​IMG]