1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Empire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Junkyard_Dog, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Has anyone checked this out? It's basically about a man that started as a street dealer that eventually built a music empire, and is trying to decide which of his sons to leave it to due to his medical problems. It's been pretty hyped on FOX over the last couple of months. I finally got to watching it and it is one of my new favorite shows. I'm a pretty big fan of Terrence Howard and love how he plays the main character. He's so cold blooded its awesome. Wish he was still Rhodey in the Iron Man movie series.

Feel free to discuss as I did not see a thread previously about it.

2. Nero

Nero Member

Watching the previews constantly during the football games the last few weekends.. the GF and I asked each other - how many episodes of that thing are going to air before Fox cancels it?

Based purely on the previews and my complete lack of even a tiny shred of desire to see it, plus given Fox's notoriously short leash with new shows, my guess was three episodes and then it would be gone.

Now I haven't seen it, and likely won't, but heck, it may be great. So this is just purely based on the subject matter and the previews. But I am still sticking to the 3-episodes and out mark.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it may be good. but i do not really watch tv unless i have a seasons worth of shows to watch when i want.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw it
    Kind of cliche
    and nothing unexpected happened
    I suspect it will be predictable

I might give it two more episodes but it is a big cup of Meh to me

Rocket River
    Taraji is still Taraji!

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah when I first saw the commercials I felt it was destined for early cancellation, but having seen it I think it will have some staying power.

Some of the things are a bit cliche but I still found it entertaining, and like I said Terrence Howard does a good job in the role he has.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Watched it this past weekend. Kinda cheesy but Idk, DVR fodder if nothing else.

My bar for what I consider quality TV has been raised by the likes of Breaking Bad and HBO.

7. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I think they removed him from the Iron Man series because of his continuous issues of domestic violence. He's a great actor but sounds like a terrible person. Him and Mayweather would probably make good friends.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he wanted more money

Don Cheadle is an excellent Actor as well . . so the drop off is slight if any

Rocket River

9. Cranberry_Juice

Did Terrance Howard ever get over his medical condition where he sounds like a lil biatch every time he talks?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No dropoff. It's an improvement.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Howard was told that he was going to get more money after the first Iron Man film but didn't get it because Robert Downey Jr got really popular so the producers gave the money to him that was promised to Howard.

Howard was really salty because, before Iron Man, RDJ was basically a nothing actor and Howard was the one that got him the job initially. There was a actually an understanding between friends (apparently they were really good friends) that RDJ would make sure Howard got his money as a thank you for basically saving his career. Didn't happen.

Howard actually brought all this up when he was asked during the press tour for Best Man Holiday.

Howard does have a whole bunch of domestic violence problems, but being a terrible person has never stopped a producer from hiring an actor or director. Bryan Singer had pedophilia and rape allegations on him X-men still did great. Woody Allen I hear is a sonovabitch he is still doing his thing.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Personally I thought the show was OK. I hear the ratings were amazing probably because black people will try to support almost anything that they see themselves in because there are so few properties outside sports that represent the culture. Look at Scandal, How to get away with Murder, Black-ish, Sleepy Hollow all ratings gold with black lead characters.

I'll continue to watch but I don't see it getting any better. It was nice to see Malik Yoba again though! He went out like a chump on Revolution.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I haven't seen it. I've reached my urban TV watching limit with the increased urbanization of Rockets games.

All kidding aside the commercials ruined any interest I had for the show but I may give it a try now based on OP's recommendation.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched the first episode and half watched last nights, show's really chessy and soapy. Wife likes it though...

16. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

This show is getting good. Anyone still watching?

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I got three episodes on my DVR I need to watch. Still like the show, just been busy

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lovin it, seems to get better each episode.
    The pilot episode seemed extremely overpaced and cheesy in some moments, but it gets so much better. So for the people that only watched the first episode and got turned off, please try the other episodes bereits you judge.

Btw Jussie Smollet (Joshua) is such a talented artist, love the songs.

19. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'm hooked. Not sure how much of the comedy is intentional. I'm going to give Lee Daniels the benefit of the doubt and assume most of it is. I can definitely see a large swath of the population taking everything at face value though. Nice Dire Straits remix the other week.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well..Empire is the breakout hit that has other networks looking for the next Ethnic driven show. Scandal started the recent trend with lead Black actors. Black-ish and How to get away with Murder are also hits. Empire ratings have improved every week which is unheard of on Broadcast TV. The only show beating it in the 18-48 demo is The Walking Dead. It is safe to say this is one show Fox won't cancel and will be looking to mimic.

Interesting a Fox (TV) brand that actually like black people...:p