1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Disney+] Star Wars: The Mandalorian: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Finished it a couple days ago. Very much like the series, but I could have done without Luke. I liked the series because it expanded the SW universe; things happened beyond just the Skywalkers and Palpatine. So to have a Skywalker jump back in was kinda meh for me. SW has a tendency to make itself smaller than it needs to be (Rey being a Palpatine, as another example).

Jontro likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

agree with your sentiment to an extent. i feel like we're ready to dump the "skywalker and associates" timeline, however since season 2 focused on finding yoda groot a jedi master to train with, it seems appropriate to have the strongest jedi evarrr show up and to pick him up at the end. i doubt he'll have any prominent roles in subsequent episodes of mondo.

i think we need a new jedi hero for star wars... without the women empowerment or lgbtqrstuv forced agenda.
    off topic: i hear sony has announced the next spinderman will be geh

BamBam and TWS1986 like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, there's a risk this show ends up being a big commercial for spinoffs, but can't complain too much after 10 years of Marvel doing the same thing. Even old school kid shows were just giant props for selling toys...

Disney: It is the way,

Also, I don't think he's a Boba clone. Boba was explaining that he was the clone to Django Fett, a legit mando, from the clone wars. They totally ignore how he got out of the sarlacc w/o his armor.

Not as cool as HVAC

#303 Invisible Fan, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Jontro likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really amazed I was not spoiled for Chapter 16. But I MADE SURE to watch it on Friday. I knew I couldn't wait past that day.

Invisible Fan and TWS1986 like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agree, Gina is a horrible actor. Her solo movie. Haywire, had some good acting, I don't know wtf happened to her after that. Maybe it was just good editing or a good director (Steven Soderberg) knowing how to milk every drop out of that turnup.

Disagree on the spinoffs. If Disney follows the MCU formula, there is massive room to grow these characters.

Disney announced 10 series for SW 'in the next few years'. As long as they do it right, I'm all for it. Again, I would watch Ewoks or JarJar if Favreau guides them.

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Man, JarJar is stretching it. But I agree with 98% of your post :).

Jontro likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They could frame Darth Jar Jar properly.

Yung-T, Invisible Fan and TWS1986 like this.
  8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Such an amazing episode. Seeing Luke wreck shop filled a gaping hole in my soul that I didn't know was there until this episode (seriously, though, it was amazing). I loved just about everything except the Dark Troopers. They were completely terrible. From the "they have to charge up for a few minutes!" conceit to just their overall fighting style and movement...nothing they did inspired real fear or awe. I mean, we just saw IG-88 in full on assassination mode last season and it was amazing. Nothing these supposedly improved Dark Troopers did was even close to as impressive as that.

But everything else about the episode was incredible. I'm glad Moff Gideon survived. I want more of him.

rusHour, mikol13 and TWS1986 like this.
  9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't mind a few more shows to explore the SW universe, but I worry so many spinoffs will dilute the franchise. Disney is pretty well known for milking their properties for all their worth. We had to wait almost two decades to get the Prequel Trilogy, then another 10 years for the Sequels. That wait and anticipation helped to build excitement for the brand. Now we're gonna get a ton of Star Wars shoved down our throats. I love Star Wars, so I'll probably give it all a chance, but I just worry we're gonna be oversaturated. These character spinoffs, Obi Wan, Asohka, Andor, Cara Dune, Boba Fett, a rumored Luke story, why do we have to have a show for each of them, but rather feature their characters within a larger narrative, I suppose similar to what we've seen with Clone Wars and Rebels and Mandalorian now.

I will say I am excited for the High Republic, the Bad Batch and Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron film. And to see what Taika Waititi has cooked up. And I'd love to see them explore a continuation of Rebels and Thrwan and Ezra's fates. The key for me is quality, not quantity, and I wouldn't be surprised if half of these concepts get ditched by Disney.

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What do you mean by Boba clone thing?

It's still the same Boba from the old trilogy, that Mandalorian chick just mistook him for a mere clone as they all share the same voice and no one knows that Jango had one unaltered offspring in Boba.

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I’m not gonna lie, the timeline has me just bamboozled. I just forget when this all takes place. Then they say something and I question how they never knew what they were talking about. Like have Jedi bee that far removed? People are completely oblivious to Force sensitive beings like yoda?

Jontro and dobro1229 like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

A galaxy is a large place and there were what, 50 Jedi’s? Doesn’t seem crazy to me that most people would have never been around a Jedi.

Jontro and clutch citizen like this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I caught that he was called a clone so I took that at face value since I remember he died in Return of the Jedi. That probably speaks to a hiccup in storytelling then if that was not true and they should have offered a bit more explanation.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea we'll have to see how they explain it, but the legends novels kept him alive as well back in the day, simply saying he freed himself after a long struggle or whatever.

15. dobro1229

I thought that too though. In the prequel trilogy they really go out of their way to show how central Jedi are in the galactic government. It would be like not knowing who the Navy Seals were or something like that. I thought they could have used one line like “my father used to talk about the Jedi” or something along those lines to show how they aren’t student of the Jedi but still recognizing how important they were previously in the government to where there was myth.

16. dobro1229

Yeah rule of thumb for filmakers moving forward should be to assume the viewers haven’t seen much beyond original trilogy and new trilogy. I’ve still never seen the second prequel myself. Def never seen the cartoons and certainly will never read the novels or comics. They did do a good job though with Rosario Dawson’s character. I had never known who that was before but it didn’t seem to matter in the plot setup for that episode. You get the gist of it. That characters episode to me was the highlight of the series.

I dunno it’s just one of those pet peeves about films I had. Like there should be rules about earning resurrections of dead characters. Even mentioning the word cloning to me gets me rolling my eyes. I thought Game Of Thrones really missed an opportunity with John Snow where I think the books will do it right. I think in the books there will be a price to pay and he’ll fundamentally be a different character because of the resurrection. Even in Alien as gimmicky as having Ripley cloned that it is, there’s at least physical and character changes due to the clone resurrection of character.

Totally blowing off the fact that the audience saw Boba Fett die was movie sin #7 for me. I noticed Star Wars also did that with the darth maul character too in the Han Solo movie so not a great track record in the series for respecting that film rule I guess. It’s a silly pet peeve but I’m sure I’m not alone and it’s just one of those signals about the creators that if they are sloppy in those areas where they assume that much goodwill with their fans that they’ll cut corners in the future on other bigger stuff too which would concern me if I was a huge Star Wars fan.

#316 dobro1229, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't follow much SW outside the movies and watched an occasional Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.

I figure people doing magic tricks but not as "girly sounding" carries a certain level of disbelief, including the bits about not dying for real and the appearance of radioactive looking ghosts.

They making a series for bubba fat. Got plenty of time to make his resurrection right. Or not.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Okay I think you not having watched Ep2 is the main issue for this topic.

Boba's father was an elite bounty hunter and his DNA was used as a template for a huge Republican clone army, which he also trained occasionally.
    These mature within 7yrs and are highly-skilled soldiers, but Jango asked for one unaltered clone (Boba) which ages normally and is the one you see in episode 4-6 and Mando.

After the Clone Wars, many of these clones also ended up as Stormtroopers, so they are widely known in the galaxy.
    So every time ppl see or hear Boba, they'll think he's one of the usual clones and don't know his backstory.

You should definitely read up on that era if you aren't willing to watch Ep2 or the Clone Wars cartoon.

mikol13, TWS1986 and dobro1229 like this.
  19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the Darth Maul thing. I mean, we saw the guy get cut IN HALF and then fall 100s of feet to his death. There's no coming back from that (short of the whole cloning thing). However, in Boba's case, he simply falls into the Sarlaac pit. Sure, most things don't survive that, but he was wearing beskar armor, which has now been shown to be pretty much indestructible, so it isn't hard to imagine that the Sarlaac acid wouldn't work on it. Plus, he had all kinds of other tools at his disposal (like the jetpack, which was malfunctioning from being hit but certainly not incapable of being fixed). Basically, knowing what we know of his armor and everything else, it would seem a little surprising for him to NOT survive the Sarlaac.

20. dobro1229

And I get that but my issue is earning a resurrection through storytelling. When you as a watcher have to make assumptions, the storyteller is getting it wrong. Don’t get me wrong I love ambiguity if it’s intentional like “is @Deckard an android or human” but when the ambiguity is a distraction and unintentional (just no time in story etc) it’s just sloppy writing imo.... but I am a bit of a film geek.

Deckard likes this.