1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Turkey and the Neocons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Pharaoh King, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Duh! is what I have to say

http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/06/15/turkey_and_the_neocons

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

louis ck on twitter "I'm not going to say anything about Sarah Palin this time. Because really it's not that interesting that both of her t*** are disgusting."

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The above comments are very important and the reason why it is so important to stop following Israel lock step.

5. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I don't care on bit if those guys stop promoting Israeli interests as U.S. interests, what I would like to happen though is an acknowledgment on their part of the obvious, which is that they consistently promote Israeli security interests as U.S. security interests, and when the two clash they STILL show preference for Israeli security interests in the region above those of the U.S.

Just admit the obvious, this is all.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about this. However disgusting it may seem to us, the U.S. makes those decisions because the damage to Israel would cause a greater amount of damage to them than it would if they didn't defend Israel.

So they see it as "it may be unethical and we may lose some lives, IDF may lose some people, the Palestianians will lose a lot of people, but in the long-term it's in our benefit."

I don't agree with it, but it's important to note that the US don't protect Israel without caring about the cost. It's just that they're willing to pay a very high price for what they see as something with a lot of value.

Do you know how many terrorism deaths there were in Israel in 2009?

Israel is a grown ass country. Any help they're getting right now is going towards strengthening the pimp hand rather than defending itself. IMO, this is as secure as it's ever going to get.

The only cost left to pay for the US is a war with Iran, done either directly or through Israel. I don't think the US can afford that for the time being, and Russia/China would surely be watching with great intent if such a thing happened.

You're right though. It is getting to that point where everyone will be shocked by something and it seems Obama is prepared for it. He is far less apologetic to Israel than his predecessors and with each mess-up, he is becoming less forgiving. I think it's important for the American people to see that kind of behavioral change linked to specific incidents.

As for Turkey, it'll be fine. We're fully aware of how difficult/impossible it is to have a democracy in the region and with this backgrounf and in no rush to force the issue. For me, I can see the progress, I can see the change, and I can tell from the "stress reactions" within the country that an appropriate level of pressure is being applied for change, and that pressue is causing some conflict. So be it, as long as it continues developing. Sometimes, in order to bring change, you simply have to usher in the new generation and endure the nagging of those who are completely opposed to change.

The outlook is good. I would add to your article that Tueky's involvement with Iran for the swap deal did not help their image with the neocons, no did these things: