1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tulum, Mexico

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Aug 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

Headed down in October/November for a week. Neither I nor the girl have been in several years, so I imagine some things have changed. For anyone who's been recently, any recs on beachfront cabanas/spas (no resort/hotel) and restaurants? Anything else of interest ala excursions, cenotes, snorkeling, etc... feel free to post as well.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Papaya Playa is a cool place to stay.

Lunch at Co.ConAmor is a must (a bit hard to find).

Avoid Playa del Carmen. Avoid Cancun.

3. dragician

dragician Member

Bring home the bacon.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Say Hi to Uncle Chapo.

5. bongman

bongman Member

They have a new park. Swim underground, ATV inside the cenotes and kilometers of ziplines. All inclusive with food and drinks. Forgot the name of the place but you see a lot of ads

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I went there. It isn't that great. Its full of seaweed. The ruins aren't even that large there. There is this one fort overlooking the beach.

7. Buck Turgidson

No doubt on Cancun/Playa. Not my thing, and her quote was "fly into Cancun, then get the **** out."

Papaya is one of the places we're looking at. Any additional comments/advice about it? Thanks for the restaurant rec, it's duly noted.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Any interest in Cozumel about 40 mins from Playa? We went there last month and loved it.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Attend a Boiler Room event in Tulum.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bk6Xst6euQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. trickywhiteguy

Its called Xplor Park, I went there on my honeymoon a few years back and thought Xplor was great.

www.xplor.travel/

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We've hit a few spots in Mexico these past several months (PV, MXC, Merida) and will go to Tulum later this year. It's not so much that I want to be in Tulum (although, okay, why not?) but it's a good base from which to visit Mayan sites (Coba, Tulum, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza) as well as Cozumel, Sian Ka'an reserve, cenotes, etcetera.

Don't know where to stay though. Don't want to break the bank but ain't doing no Hostel Cucaracha Maya.

Being near the water is nice but $$$, so might have to stay in Tulum Pueblo and hoof it a bit (which is fine).

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That was THEN. It's just hipsters now.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was there a few years ago. Well, we stayed at Playa del Carmen.

We did the Akumal Bay sea turtle snorkel. It was really cool. Had a turtle surface,literally 6 inches, in front of my wife and I,for air.

We did one of the cenotes the same day. Forget which one. It was really cool. I'd love to do more of them.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We love it the area, but my wife likes to come home in the evenings to something serene and quiet, so we usually splurge for something in Mayakoba. However, we almost always use a guide for one day (Cenotes, ruins, other local stuff), and we always used Monica. She's awesome, and I highly recommend: https://www.facebook.com/ToursMonica