1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tucker is out till we trade or buy him out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 12, 2021.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

There shouldn't be a problem with players wanting to be traded. Certain situations & circumstances just aren't the right fit. The problem occurs when players go about requesting/demanding a trade in the wrong way. Instead of following the example of Hakeem, Kobe and others before them, who did so yet still competed and acted with professionalism, some today are instead acting like entitled children throwing a tantrum.

I am a big fan of Iggy, but the grizzlies should have fined him when he initially refused to report. The Rockets should've fined and suspended Harden when he missed training camp, workouts and violated covid protocol. Tucker and any player should be fined/suspended for every day he refuses to work. Instead of throwing tantrums, players should act as professionals and work out some sort of arrangement with their teams, like Aldridge with the Spurs.

That said, teams/organization also bear a responsibility to better handle these situations. They need to be ready to suspend/fine/punish players who don't fulfill their obligations AND better negotiate/handle players looking to move on. The rockets handling of Tucker is inept since both sides want the same thing. How they didn't mutually reach an agreement to hold Tucker out until he is traded is insane, since their is little benefit for either party for him to be on the court and risk injury in the next couple weeks before the trade deadline.

charlieaustin, jdiggidy and DaDakota like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Tucker will be out of the league in 15 months, if not sooner. Buh-bye

Fulgore and CVcrew like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly, don't pay him, he isn't honoring his contract - it is just business.

DD

charlieaustin, fattz, cheke64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not sure if we will be able to overcome his 0 point nights.

5. the shark

the shark Member

If he doesn’t want to play fine. However he also shouldn't be paid while he sits!!

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Nope, came to an agreement with the GM so he could retain his trade value. It’s just business that Harden wanted a change of scenery. It’s only just business when you get up to under somebody isn’t it DD. Don’t be mad at Harden and don’t be mad at Tucker because it is just business MEMBER

7. juanming

juanming Member

Dd,usually I disagree with ur posts but u are absolutely correct on this

I'm tired of the GM's or owners being politically correct and not fineing disobedience players..

I know it's a players league but this is bu!!****

I don't care if it's cheap tilman or Cuban, a owner should not pay the game salary to a player that just quit and wants a trade

That's why im in the minority of not wanting harden back.. we had his back for 8 yrs and he trashed us to the media to get his trade granted asap thua rushing stone to take the deal on the table

I guess we should appease superstars like harden but Tucker??are u kidding me ???

Can't believe we are paying a cocky 0pt/3 Reb washed up 35 yr old his salary after he thinks he deserves a championship

What a joke..honestly I would not buy him out..I'd make him rot all year on our team on the bench for his actions hahahahaha

charlieaustin and raining threes like this.
  8. juanming

juanming Member

And another thing , if ,big if, but if Tucker starts on a contender they can forget winning the finals..he sucks bad..it's like playing four on five

This isn't 2018

U know every athlete including Jordan didn't or doesnt understand when he needs to hang it up

Kinda like Apollo getting killed by Drago..lol.. ok bad analogy..but man Tucker sure is cocky for someone who sucks

raining threes likes this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

This. If you sign a contract then honor the contract. If I sign a contract to clean your pool or cater your business for a month and i refuse to do it but still took the money then I could be sued. If players want to sit out and demand they get traded then they shouldn't be allowed to collect the check for that time. I am not saying to do this to PJ because I think he has earned his keep over the years but players not honoring their contract is an issue.

Perhaps the players association can somehow work in a way to put stipulations where players can opt out if certain things don't happen. They have stipulations for bonuses on contract, maybe they can do the same thing for staying. The thing is they don't. You sign the contract then honor it, its not hard.

charlieaustin likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Nah, teams don't have to do the same. We didn't honor our commitment to CP3.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I assure you that whatever contract CP3 signed the Rockets didn't violate it. Signing a contract is a much more official and higher level. Not exactly sure how the no trade clauses in contracts work but I do believe cp3 could have negotiated something in there about it.

J.R. likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not only did the Rockets never violate it, CP3 is still getting paid from that $159,730,592 contract he signed with the Rockets.

Teams never violate their contracts, it's always players who violate the contracts when they get violated.

J.R. likes this.
  13. Icehouse

CP3 signed thinking he would be playing for Houston, not another franchise.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He might have been thinking that, and that should have been the case, but it wasn't in the contract.

Unfortunately Harden forced that trade to happen, but the Rockets never violated CP3's contract, no team ever does.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah but to be fair, anytime someone signs a contract in the nba they have to be aware that they could be traded. Otherwise, if it’s that important, negotiate a no-trade clause in the contract.

charlieaustin likes this.
  16. Icehouse

You are confusing honoring a contract with honoring a commitment. If CP3 wanted to play somewhere else besides Houston then he would have signed there, and not here. The only difference is the team has an out when they decide to walk away from their commitment and the player doesn’t.

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we maybe overvaluing PJ. His defensive versatility, corner 3 and hustle still have value--just not the kind of value we're trying to extract. Stone is probably exploring packages with PJ and VO or others, and this is likely a hold up, because team's really want to see what they're getting in Dipo. The clock is ticking and Raf may believe things could break his way closer to the deadline. Patience sucks!

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

He’d be worth a late first if a team has one to part with this year. He’s shown he can still put the clamps on premier scorers in the last seconds of games. That’s a valuable commodity. We might have to take back bad salary with it - remember we gave up a first for Shumpert to get off Knight/Chriss. That’s would be the kind of deal. But obviously nobody has that first. I think there would still be a lot of hesitation don’t get me wrong, due to his overall play, but with some many teams interested and going all in I could see one of them coughin up at the end.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Their commitment to him was $159,730,592, and he'll get every penny of it.

If CP3 wanted a no-trade clause, he could have negotiated it, he didn't.

Players can negotiate "outs" in their contracts if that's what they want, typically they don't because they'd have to give up some money to get it and money is the only thing the vast majority of players care about.

foggy94 likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, it only takes one team to believe he'll make a difference or be a part of their puzzle. We're 11 days out and PJ's roster spot is a black hole for a team with injuries and load balancing--guess that could also play into Raf's tankathon plan.