1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TSN: New stats make defenders like Everett stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xcrunner51, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that's just his average with the Dodgers.

2. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I don't think it's a stretch to call Adam Everett the best defensive player in the league. It's also not a stretch to call him the worst offensive player in the league. Like everyone else has said, the big problem is that there just isn't any good way to quantify how much value defense is worth right now.

And, looking at the numbers, it's a miracle that the Astros are even in a pennant race right now. They have 3 of the 6 worst hitters in the NL, ranked by OPS, and that is playing half of their games in a batter-friendly stadium.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He hit .308 for the Devil Rays and is hitting .235 for the Dodgers. Overall he is at .292 (108 hits in 370 official at bats).

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's cause I can't count. :)

Still doesn't change the argument, though. That's an extra 25 hits over 500 ABs. Not worth losing the glove and range Adam gives us.

5. Major

Major Member

I think you could make the argument for the first part. He's definitely not the worst offensive player in the league. Ignoring bench players for a bit, we have 1 player on our team that's worse (Ausmus). If you look only at SS's, there are at least 3 starting SS that are worse (Ronny Cedeno, Angel Berroa, and Clint Barmes). All of their numbers - AVG/SLG/OPS - are worse than Everett. Taking into account other positions and bench players, there are plenty of players worse than AE offensively.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You're preaching to the choir!

7. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

That's not a complete comparison of value, though. It's not just 25 extra hits, it's almost 0.100 points in both OBP and SLG - that is a huge difference. That said, I think Lugo had a flukey half-year with Tampa and his numbers with LA have been horrid, but looking at it by average alone is simply not meaningful.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's not that hard to believe really.

Everett is better than Jeter in every category defensively at a position where defense is a necessity. This is an offensively inept team, but I hardly think this discussion would be warranted if Ensberg, Biggio, Lane and yes even Ausmus were producing similar to what they did last year (in the second half).

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Teams can exploit defensive weaknesses pretty easily in baseball too. With a Piazza behind the base, you're gonna see baserunners challenging him all night. If you have a weak arm in the outfield, you'll see baserunners stretching singles and doubles into doubles and triples. If you have a crap bullpen, you might see teams work the starting pitcher into deep counts to get him out of the game sooner to get to the pen.

And baseball players play defense all night too. Just because a ball isn't hit to you on every single play doesn't mean you don't have to be ready. They gotta stay focused all night cause the moment they lose they're concentration is the moment a ball is hit to them and they screw up.

And the pitcher might be the primary factor in a team's defense, but it takes a lot of pressure off that pitcher knowing he has a stellar defense to back him up...just take a look at some of Roger's quotes of Willy from last night.

10. msn

msn Member

Yeah, but baseball's an "individual sport". I'm still reeling from the abject stupidity of that take.

Replacing Vizcaino with Everett and removing Biggio from the outfield were most certainly 2 factors in Roger's amazing ERA last year.

11. msn

msn Member

Ummm, BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAaaaaa!!!

omg. The stupidest post ever, and you followed it with an encore! You bested yourself.

Just for kicks: tell me if it's really possible for a pitcher to win a game by himself. If so, how. I'm on the edge of my seat.

12. AggieRocketFan96

I agree with this post the most. Having both Everett and Ausmus in the every day lineup has been painful to watch all year long. It seems that it happens so often that with the pitching spot or with Ensberg in the lineup, there is a guaranteed 1-2-3 inning for the opposing pitcher with no hope whatsoever. If Stros continue to keep Everett b/c the value of his defense, at least get rid of Ausmus!

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because no team has ever been successful before with the everett/ausmus combination.

OR

the reigning NL champions had that mix, exactly.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Okay, let's suppose Adam Everett and Brad Ausmus are stuck in a burning building, trapped under some rubble. You (huge Astros fan) are the only person in the area, and you can only save one of them before the building collapses. Who would it be?

15. MadMax

with my spider powers, i could save them both.

[​IMG]

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and the astros were successful with lugo.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not as.

18. MadMax

he cost them a playoff series. or at least played a big role in costing them that series. errors from SS's suck. 18 errors in about 220 attempts this season sucks.

19. msn

msn Member

Adam has a daughter. Does Brad have kids?

20. msn

msn Member

Ouch.