1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trying to be polite to a scam artist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mrs. Valdez, Aug 20, 2009.

?

Incompetent attempt to rent or a scam artist?

1. Incompetent

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Scam artist

40 vote(s)
    97.6%
  1. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Helping my brothers find a place to rent I came across an ad online and wanted a few quick questions answered. I noticed the last name given on the email address is different from the last name in the email. Here are the results (with contact info removed): -

Me:
    "Is this property still available? Is the deposit $450 or $1350 (both numbers are listed). How much is the pet deposit? I am enquiring on behalf of two of my brothers, one of them has an eleven year old half-lab. Is a fifty pound dog acceptable? Thanks!"

Him:
    Hello .
    Thank you very much for taking your time to write me, it is my sincere pleasure to write you back, and to let you know that the house you are making enquiry of is still available and the Utilities Included: Heat,Gas, Electricity, Water, Dryer, Washer, Internet/Cable and a secured parking space. Available from now, security deposit of $450, application form fee is $50 and One month rent is required that is to enable me know how serious you are so that i can remove the add from the site,so these first fees will be paid before we proceed on the documentation. And also note that the first fees is refundable if you are not pleased with the property.

You will find the Property address on the state link, you can go there by checking on it: 1860 White Oak Unit: 205L,Houston, TX 77009 but note that you can not be allowed in because the keys of the building is not available there you can just pass by and see exteriors.

As soon as l hear from you, l will send you more information regarding the property (like the interior picture)and also the certificate of occupancy,that is to let you know that you are dealing with the rightful owner of the property.

Note:

1) I need someone who can take good care of my property just like his/her own Property.

2) I need some who is Religious because my last agent and tenant almost destroy the utility and it cost me huge amount of money to fixed them back.

3) You can also email me back with your Mobile number to call you and discuss further about the Property.

4) If you and your family are fine with my Property but he/she must go and see the house them self,then email me back if you are please with it because i will never false any client to rent the house if they are not satisfy with it,lastly God will Bless each and every one of you

Hope to read back from you pretty soon.

Me:
    Hello,
    Thanks for the quick response! It sounds like a great property and we would be interested in pursuing it. I live on Palm St so I appreciate that it is close by. My brothers are hoping to room together and possibly see if my father would like to room with them when he moves from Maine to Houston this fall. My father is also an ordained minister (PCA) and I am sure that they would be very responsible with the property. My brothers are in their mid to late twenties and are hardworking, quiet and responsible. Please give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss this further.

Thanks,

Him:
    Hello Thank you for quick respond i must say i really appreciate it, this are the pictures of the house (Interior and Exterior) . I decide to handle everything by my self because my last agent was not capable enough to take care of our Property, he just leased the Property to someone that destroyed my home appliances, i know how much i spent to refurnished the Property and the only person that can handle the Property on my behalf in a mature way has an accident and he is on a wheel chair,like i state on my previous e-mail that alot people are contacting me after the Property but it depend on your respond to keep the house for you also you'll need to pay the first fees deposit that will make me remove the ADD from the site and my co-worker will send keys to you before you we proceed to the paper work and the documentation . l will want to inform you that the only way that will be convenient for me is to send the House keys to you,that can be done only if you are really willing to rent the House from me, i will ship the Key via UPS COURIER SERVICE(2ND DAY DELIVERY), I will also E-mail the shipment tracking number to you immediately so that you will know when and time to received the key to the Property. Specifically the first fees is refundable if you are not alright with Property. You are free to check on the house by driving there so the address are 1860 White Oak Unit: 205L,Houston, TX 77009 , but note that you can not be allowed in because the keys of the house are not available there ,you can just pass by and see the exterior.

I had an accident in few mount back,it affect my haring and leg which lead me to wheel chair that is why travel out of state with my wife yesterday for medical treatment so let me know if you are read to proceed with the property so that the Key will be sent to you.
    If you are interested in my Property answer the Question stated below 1) What are you doing for a living? 2) Are you staying in with your family? 3) Do you have any pet? 4) How soon do you want to move to the Property? 5) Explain vividly about your self? Important :I will send you the application form after you pay for both application fee and security deposit which are $50.00 application fee, $500.00 security deposit A mount Rent is $850 and i will take 2 mount rent. Hope to read back from you petty soon about you own decision..... Your Sincerely God Bless You

Me:
    Thanks for sending the pictures and the background of the property. However, I don't think I'm interested. I don't feel comfortable providing a deposit without meeting and walking the unit. But, I wish you luck in trying to find the right tenant for your property.

Him:
    Thank you so much for your email,Though i am not falsing my property after you but i understand what you mean.I want you to know that i am a man of God and i will never hurt you for money.I can send you the certificate of Occupancy if to be sure of the House and as i state in my previous email,i am off town in other to secure good health because it painful for some to be on a wheel care.Try to understand but let me know asap

Thank You

Me:
    Thank you so much for your time. I do understand that you are in a difficult position renting from out of state. However, I cannot in good conscience send $1400 for a property sight unseen without first having a rental contract signed. Please understand that you are essentially asking me to pay $1400 in order to visit a property and then decide if I would like to rent it. Also, while it may work a bit differently in other states, a certificate of occupancy in Texas is only a statement that as of the date it was issued the property is in reasonable condition to be lived in - not a proof of ownership. I have been unable to identify you as the owner of the property in the county records.
    As a man of God, I am sure you are very much aware that the reason Jesus had to come and be crucified is that not one of us is rightous on our own. Please understand that I mean you know disrespect if I find myself distrustful of this situation but as a fellow Christian I am seeking to be wise with the resources under my care and mindful of human nature.
    I do wish you the best of luck in renting out your property. If you continue to have trouble finding a renter, I would strongly recommend seeking another real estate agent to handle the property for you. My husband used to work in the industry and we have many friends who also rent out properties. It is common practice here for people to allow a property to be viewed without any financial commitment whatsoever so in Houston you will have a hard time getting someone to pay for the priviledge. By working with a local realtor the property could be shown more easily.

Thanks again for your time,

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Definitely a scam.

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Verbage sounds like a classic 419 Scam. Trust your gut and move on.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yeah, I think he traveled to the state of Nigeria.

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Only one way to find out

6. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

The grammer reads like a Nigerian banking scheme but I thought I shouldn't write someone off immediately based on their poor grammer. I wonder if they get any takers...

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i remember a posting about a house for rent in culver city that was pretty reasonable and i sent an email inquiring about the place

i get a response back saying its a great place it has all this stuff

then i get asked for a credit report to be sent to them so they can do stricter screening because they had over whelming response to the ad. they gave me the websites to go and said that once it was sent to them they would contact me and let me know and to not to contact them

uhm yeah..........

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That sounds super fishy to me. It reads like one of those Nigerian scams! I would NEVER send a deposit to someone out of state when I'm not even allowed to walk the property. Also, it very well might be illegal to say you will or will not rent to someone based on their religion...

Mrs. Valdez, what part of town are your brothers looking to rent in? I have a place for rent just off 290 and Antoine. 2 bedroom/2 bath. Washer/dryer included. 2-car garage, hot-tub in back, fireplace, quiet neighborhood. Maybe we could discuss a Clutchfans discount? :) Email me though the bbs. That goes for anyone else here too.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You did the right thing. Someone who wants you to put that much money down without letting you see the interior of the property first is very questionable. Add to that its not the same name on the property records I would say that is a scam.

10. Fatty FatBastard

I love the "overwhelming response" thrown in there.

On a rental property? Please.

11. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I think they want a 3BR somewhere very central because of work, etc. Right now one is right by Rice and Montrose and the other is in our guest room. Thus the motivation to help them find a place soon :)

12. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

13. Fatty FatBastard

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearchClass7.cfm

Enter the parameters as 3 bedroom/price/central

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

So is this apartment still available? It seems like a sweet deal to me.

15. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

"but note that you can not be allowed in because the keys of the building is not available there you can just pass by and see exteriors."

That alone should give it away.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

17. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Thanks for posting the article. I haven't needed to look for a place in years so I was surprised to find the Nigerian scheme had migrated into property rental. I was a bit irritated at the "owners" title of pastor so-and-so. It seemed like an effort to put someone at ease. I was also irritated that none of the details of my emails seemed to register (ie. yes, there is a dog, no, the property isn't exactly for me, etc.) except for my hesitation to send any money.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You know what? I think it's a scam. :eek:

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Even if you can tour the property, you can get scammed. I remember hearing on the news that scammers were breaking into abandoned and foreclosed homes and advertising those for rent. The victims would see the property with the scammer and put down a deposit. When the victim came back for the key, the scammer would be gone. The victim then calls the police to learn they've been scammed.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And he only wants $1000 upfront.