1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's Tax Returns - NYT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, Sep 27, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

@Supermac34 since you claim to have expertise in this area through your wife can you tell us that paying 0-750$ on hundreds of millions of gross income, paying your daughter 800k in "consulting fees" despite her regular job doing the same thing, and 70k in haircuts is just a normal day at the office for you guys?

You seem very confident, for someone who doesn't know **** all. Reassure us.

Nook, IBTL, Yung-T and 3 others like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's obvious he didn't read the NYT article because it was pretty explicit in telling us that he is still under audit for a 72 million dollar refund that was given based in fraud.

Yung-T and No Worries like this.
  3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Solid sum up. The issue with designating money to his children as consultants when they are already employed, as well as other consulting fees in his foreign dealings are probably the main items to target if wanting to find something (which it seems the IRS is already looking at), but there isn't much there in regards to him cheating on his taxes. $70K on haricuts seem extreme, but he was a celebrity on a TV show and his hair is part of his personality...it sounds stupid to the common person, but I would imagine that many hollywood celebrities write-off their hair expenses (along with other cosmetics). The issue, as @DonnyMost also pointed out, and you do as well, isn't that they are doing it, it's that the tax code basically allows them to do that.

The bigger issue is how this shows that Trump can be influenced by foreign money and is a grave national security risk. I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but we would take security clearances away from folks that had problems paying off debt, mainly because they could then be targeted by foreign interests that would be trying to gain classified information. The problem is that, as president, he's in charge of that same system and has on some occasions, given classified information to foreign allies/adversaries that weren't meant to have it. He's also been forced by foreign parties to do things that probably aren't in the best interest of the United States (Turkey is a big one...and, I know, Russia, Russia, Russia, but Russia as well).

We can't/shouldn't have a President that is financially compromised by our Allies/Adversaries and is taking his own interests and prioritizing them over the American public. How can we look at his diplomatic dealings with any country and assume that it's in our best interests at this point? Hopefully, that's the tact that most take and not just focus on how much he pays or doesn't pay.

Nook, ElPigto, arkoe and 4 others like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And if they are true, all Trump had to do is say "yep... everything i did is/was legal according to the tax laws at the time."

adoo, IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yeap.

His base would buy into its "fake". I doubt anyone else would buy that it's fake. He can easily discredit the NYT report by releasing some or all of his tax returns. Why wouldn't he do that? 1) it's indeed not fake, 2) it's worse, 3) he doesn't think this impact anything... all of the above

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

It's obvious that Erdogan and Duterte have already used Trump's debt as leverage.

Rashmon likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All he has to do is release one signature 1040 page of one return to cast doubt on the entire report

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

I mean it's obvious it wasn't all legal hence why he's still under audit for a 72 million dollar tax refund.

IBTL likes this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

Dude can literally sell one building and keep it moving lol. Most billionaires operate with debt because they don't invest their own money. How many corporations do you think operate in the green? Its probably close to zero, fb has no debt I think. Disney operates with 42 billion in debt, Microsoft has an operating debt of 62 billion, and Amazon which is owned by a trillionaire operates with 40 billion in debt. The assets of these companies outweigh the debt. Trump has debt of 420mil but assets of 3bil, he'll be fine lol

Russia, Impeachment, the Economy, Suckers and losers, Tax returns.
    What's next demmies lol

11. SuraGotMadHops

This. I know what the NYT headlines and article says, but I would like the see the tax returns myself before I consider Trump a "tax cheat." The tax code is thick, it's complicated, and obviously Trump hires top notch, professional CPAs to prepare his personal and business returns, it's not like some shyster with a shingle hanging outside his door did them.

There's other considerations, his businesses likely paid hundreds of thousands in 941 withholding taxes, any distributions made to employees, consultants, professionals were taxed on their individual returns. There are S Corps vs C Corps, there are donations, there is the fact he didn't take a salary while in office, there are deferments, credits, write offs. Basically, people who don't know crap about tax law see $750 and gasp like they know what the hell they are talking about or what it is supposed to be. So many uninformed opinions. As Carlos Correa says "know the facts, of shut the f*** up." If you don't know tax law you will not have an informed opinion. Period.

Nook, Fantasma Negro and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

1. He's still under audit for commiting fraud where he recieved a 72 million dollar tax refund

2. The amount of debt he has accrued would disqualify him from the most basic level security clearance that a basic infantryman would need to get because that debt will be used as leverage from foreign actors which they have done especially Erdogan and Duterte.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

It's debt on his company, not personal debt.

14. fchowd0311

It's still money his businesses owes which effects his personal lifestyle. You can't be this dense can you?

If you own a business you want it to succeed. If your businesses are operating at a loss and your businesses are in massive debt, foerign actors can leverage that debt. How is that any different from personal debt?

Trump in the past decade has only made money off of his Apprentice royalties and a settlement on a property managed by someone else. Before the Appretence he was in the gutter also so that means he has never had a profitable endeavor outside the Appretence and that settlement were he recieves revenue from someone else managing the property.

#214 fchowd0311, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    IBTL likes this.
  15. SamFisher

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

It wouldn’t surprise me if he hired Jared to do them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

Lol "the I got a bachelor's degree in accounting therefore I can shout everyone down " argument is not going to work.

There's nothing "usual rich guy tax avoidance stuff" about what has been reported.

And for the record Trump quite literally hires random shysters for his shady businesses all the time. How do you think he ends up with Michael Cohen as his attorney or omarosa or whatever? Look at all the kooks he attracts. Open your eyes man.

#217 SamFisher, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

more technicalities
    like that makes it ok and less shady.

EXPOSED

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

Does anyone else find it highly ironic that Jeff Zucker is the one man in the country that gave Trump a life line where he could be president today?

That's pretty sad and ironic.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont disagree with your premise. But im not going to go out on a limb and absolutely state someone has leverage against him. Its absolutely a bad idea to have someone in office like Trump. Just like its a really bad idea to have someone in office who is showing signs of mental degradation, considering the age.

And if you want to go back on my original post, I was speaking in general how everyone is all over the place with their comments on their anti-Trump rhetoric . You chose to jump in and make it personal.