1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trump's nativist/racist tweets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. foh

foh Member

Um. He is a lame duck president at the moment. He has lower popular support than majority of past presidents at this respective point of their tenures. He lost the house. He hasn't been able to do much in 2019 except to rile up democrats. What does the Atlantic article says exactly that makes you think "we are dying"? I have to say that it sounds a little dramatic. I'm all for impeachment but if they can't formulate it in easy-to-understand terms and if impeachment is not accomplishing much more than what the racist condemnation legislation that they just passed has done, then why do it? These are not the courts of law where precedent is super important. I mean Dems and McConnell did the nuclear options recently and just now they overrode the congress decorum rule to pass the condemnation. Your precedent argument sounds a little weak. Can you perhaps clarify why you think it is important - maybe I missed something. (I'll go and look again I guess. I'll read the Atlantic opinion piece a little later.) Thanks.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It 100% was plain and blatant textbook racism. Telling someone who is an American to go back to someplace based merely on the color of their skin is racism. It's the definition of racism as you are attacking someone solely based on their skin color. The home of those women is America and no where else. You don't tell Trump to go back to Germany. Why? Because he is white.

'

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Green New Deal wasn't even embraced by the Dems and is a policy positioning not actual legislation put forward. Russia collusion is not fabricated - the report was very serious. Kavanaugh has nothing to do with the left. You're seriously brainwashed on all of these.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ok so you are saying the value is in that it will show up in history that Dems did the right thing and Republicans did not. As opposed to history looking at the fact that Pelosi realized she didn't see impeachment gaining anything therefore didn't pursue it.

Sounds like pretty minimum value.

To me, it sounds like extremely left wing dems like @SamFisher really want impeachment because they are angry - understandably so. And they just want to feel vindicated in their anger - that this man who SHOULD be impeached gets impeached. It doesn't matter on any point of practicality.

I give Pelosi a lot of credit. She is a master.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Note the number of congresswomen has gone from four to three...

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't. This is one of the time that the right thing to do is also the smart thing to do. Maybe she is thinking of something else, or is waiting, but to not impeach him because she think it's a winning issue for him... I disagree and think it's a losing issue for him.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. ktex

ktex Member

I respectfully disagree with just about everyone here. I don't believe he's a racist. I do believe those in the squad are terrible people, trying to rip America apart. They are rooted in radicalism and are big-time anti semites. Hell, Omar looks to be in all kind of trouble.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'm for impeachment because it is the right thing to do. Again I think 20-30 years from now how history books will be written around this era of Presidency and that nothing was even attempted to prevent it. The more that can be done to de-legitimatize Trump's presidency given all that he's done to harm the nation, I'm for it. I'd rather the history books shows our government at least made an effort to take a stand against such a s-hitty human being than just letting awful people get away with awful actions because it's politically convenient to allow it right now.

This curtailing and being specific to define racist actions just feeds into dummy Trump supporters. Call a spade a spade. If racism is being called out often to the chagrin of Trump supporters to where they feel victimized by such a label, perhaps don't support such a racist enabling candidate. It's not hard. To even argue that you don't have to like the President to support his policies is basically saying you're willing to swallow your ethics as long as you get yours. What an awful way to carry yourself IMO. It's similar thinking that allows shareholders to cut benefits for employees as long as their quarterly margins rise to benefit almost exclusively shareholders. Profits are profits. Who cares if it's at the expense of the employees that help make that business profitable. Never mind the impact it has on people who are left with less despite working the same or harder. The bottom line is that profits rose.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are an idiot.

DaDakota, RayRay10, Anticope and 2 others like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I disrespectfully disagree. Provide some nuance on how they are "big time anti-semites".

This should be interesting.

I disrespectfully disagree because trying to make American citizens who have political disagreements with you as anti-semitic, anti American etc is disgusting. Now que you bringing horribly out of context quotes.

No need to take Donald's tweets and statements out of context given how on the nose his racism was.

London'sBurning likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

What the hell is up with the Astros logo and terrible takes on the bbs?

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I generally agree. The road you personally take is more important than your personal result. When you die, your result aren't carry with you, but the path you take is if you believe in the afterlife or if you believe in rebirth and karma. (another amazing thing to me is radical or immoral religious folks - generally if you are in religion, you believe in some type of afterlife, and yet you gamble by following an immoral path). Your path also impact your children - so it does get carry forward to your next generation as well. Is it all worth it? I seldom think so. And when you believe the result line with with the road you take, go for it.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I just think of the people that are still alive today that have witnessed public lynchings in their lifetime and wonder if they ever discuss it with their kids and grand kids. Or is that a forgotten part of history that they hope to never have to discuss with anyone knowing it was wrong when they witnessed it, despite doing nothing, even if it was futile to prevent it. There are still sundown towns in 2019 in Texas. That alone blows my mind.

It's the same inaction for despicable acts that makes me wonder why inaction against such a racist President is now deemed the proper course of action.

Amiga likes this.
  14. ktex

ktex Member

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Talk to me like this in the course of a normal face to face conversation? No, you wouldn't.

15. ktex

ktex Member

What the hell is up with a debate board being so onesided?

16. fchowd0311

If there was a debate about genocide of Jews and other groups during the Holocaust, would that be one sided in saying that was an atrocious event? Some ideas, notions etc are held more by the consensus than others.

Being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian doesn't magically make you intelligent.

If you want to be part of a debate that is far more divided on this subforum, create a thread about healthcare. Now that topic has a vast wide ranging set of opinions on here. You'll see liberal posters debate vigorously with slightly less liberal posters.

#596 fchowd0311, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    havoc1 likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well the racists from racist organizations have been able to recognize that it was racist and have called it racist. I think they know their own brand of racism.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If you have actually listen to them in full and within context, so be it. You are entitled to your opinion, however wrong I think you are (BTW, you can stay here and don't need to leave). If not, you are subjected to the Trump and GOP propaganda machine. So if you haven't, go and actually listen to what they said in full and within context, not what others said about them or how we should think about them.

FWIW, 45% of Republican think it's racist. Non republican - much higher.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Two reasons:

1) It's basketball which skews liberal.

2) Most center-right posters started jumping ship during the Obama years because conservative behavior was so abhorrent and silly. The Trump phenomenon basically turned that up to 11.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

If you told me to my face that telling non-white American citizens to "go back to where they came from" for mere political disagreements isn't racist, yes I would gladly call you an idiot to your face.

FranchiseBlade likes this.