1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trump's nativist/racist tweets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 14, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post will be too long to read for most people(and too boring for people who have the patience to read it).

I agree there is a risk of that but I think it goes deeper and could potentially have more positive effects than it does negative ones.

Decades ago there were three national television stations(plus a couple of local ones that may or may not come in on televisions), music was from whatever radio stations could be manually tuned. So the input people got was much more unified. Even people outside the mainstream had fewer options and places to find 'underground' music, cinema, comedy, etc. were also fewer. So even the alternative underground was more unified.

The good about the past - people may have been more unified because of this.

The negative about the present. - More people didn't get exactly what they wanted. People can get music from thousands of sources. They can get movies, television, etc. from thousands of sources. If they don't find what they want, it is much easier to create their own content. Because of this, there is a disconnect. We probably now have less in common. There aren't as many shared references to reinforce social norms. That leads to people who grew up with those common connections seeing so many people with different references and things that they just aren't used to. They may feel like the country they knew and grew up with is slipping away. Add to that the fact that with this increased knowledge and ways to find out about injustices people have negative reactions and will criticize others who they feel are part of those injustices. So older generations who never had to worry about those things and weren't themselves antagonistic towards these groups now feel like they are being attacked or wonder why there is a need now to make such a big deal out of it. In the past everyone (they knew) got along just fine and there wasn't as big of a fuss. Civil rights appeared to have been won and they felt like the big battles were over. Why were people making such a big deal?

Those conditions continue now. They are exploited by politicians, media, and others for their own gain. Of course, with all the different ways to get people information or propaganda now, those exploited stories can be delivered to a sizeable audience. It's why the dehumanization of people who are from different political parties exist

But there is good about the present too - This new knowledge means there is a greater awareness of injustices in places locally and globally. These injustices aren't really new, it's just a lot of folks were ignorant of them or were only aware in the abstract.

People can find music, games, entertainment, art to fit their very specific desires. This just wasn't possible before and a lot of people felt like they didn't fit in. Now people can find at least a score of other people who have the same offbeat interests and sensibilities as they have. That's great for them. There are ways for people who would never feel included to discover communities where fit in with others. There is a place for them in society. The only thing is that society now has exponentially more places and groups. There is no longer that common thread.

I think/hope we are going through some growing pains with this. There are people who feel in order to fit in they need to be dramatic. They end up being overdramatic. Melodrama and people being overdramatic isn't new but now there is a platform for that to get out there. It causes some people to tune out complaints of injustice to feel like they are being accused of being part of the problem. Sometimes they are but they wouldn't see it as such.

I think it can spur on further enlightenment, but it will take some adjusting and fine-tuning to make the most out of it. It will also mean that some of that greater commonality that we once had will probably be gone forever on the large scale. People just need to realize they can also find folks that still hold on appreciate whatever they missed from their old way of life. It just won't always be the mainstream anymore. There are now 25 mainstreams, and 58,000 or more underground/alternative cliques as well.

RayRay10, joshuaao, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

those "send her back" chants are really chilling

Eric Riley, FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say the decision to call the tweets racist falls into the category of professional judgment. Yeah, it's their interpretation, but I doubt they just rattled it off thoughtlessly, but very deliberately decided to call a spade a spade.

For my part, I don't criticize Fox or Breitbart for having a view, though I think their view is wrong. I am uncomfortable with the amount of coordination there seems to be between Trump and Fox, and the coordination there had seemed to be between NBC and Hillary Clinton before the last election. I feel like some of these organizations have sold out their independence and integrity and, instead of espousing their worldview, try to manifest particular outcomes. Fox is probably the worst offender here because Trump works that angle so much. We can see the way Trump will punish Fox for stepping out of line (like tweeting that the weekend guys are worse than the fake news media after they tried to show a little independence from him). The more liberal organizations may go along willingly with Democratic leaders because their worldview aligns, but they don't let themselves get bullied by the Party.

Hearing it from Trump was one thing. Seeing him goad a crowd into chanting 'Send her back!' was chilling. We can watch him groom his victims on TV. Very 1984 and two minutes of hate.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Watch this chant reappear at the republican convention...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

trump trying to throw the racist truck in reverse... wonder what polling or adviser got to him?

6. NewRoxFan

Of course, as we all know, trump always lies... even about this...

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

That's horrible, and I'm sorry you had to go through it.

Eric Riley and foh like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every brown person in this country has gone through it. Every. single. one.

Eric Riley likes this.
  9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

But you don't think a president saying it is horrible, or enables/promotes more of that horrible behavior?

10. NewRoxFan

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Yeah, it's that or egging your house after you move into the neighborhood, or yelling racist comments as they drive by while you are walking to school.
    I hate to imagine what it's like outside of a multi-cultural city like Houston.

Eric Riley and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#512 juicystream, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

Boarding call for BruceAndre

[​IMG]

14. foh

foh Member

I wonder if anyone in that family is secretly a Democrat. Along the same lines, I also wonder what is it like in the Conway family. Is Kellyanne going to divorce and be adopted by the Don?

This is another bad reflection on North Carolina - but they were definitely egged on by Trump based on the video and now this nugget. (Going to go Google this Lara person - I'm sure she is white and rich for some reason)

15. foh

foh Member

Doesn't seem all that rich, but everyone in it is now working in executive government positions (regardless of their previous experience fit)

16. NewRoxFan

Likely married the other idiot son to become rich...

17. NewRoxFan

wow... lil' marco took a drink of water and is claiming moral indignation... over people outraged by what trump tweeted, said, and encouraged his crowd to chant.

JuanValdez likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Wow... republicans are going to wrench their backs twisting their defenses of trump...

foh likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

lindsey, I'd like to introduce you to Theodore Roosevelt.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Trump disavowed his own crowd’s racist chanting? Weak.

I thought he was an honest straight talker who says it like it is? Now he’s a politically correct cuck not willing to take on The Lamestream media and Powers that Be?

Eric Riley and BruceAndre like this.