1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Youth Taunt Native American Elder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, they did tell the kids to go back to Europe. If a kid is wearing a Make America Great hat and trying to get into it with Native Americans, "Go back to Europe" isn't really offensive.

Phillips was never screaming in the kids face. He was singing and yes, playing the drum. Are you really that sensitive and fragile?

Look we already agree that Phillips is a no good fridge mechanic asshat. You had me at 'fridge mechanic'

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why don't you respond to franchiseblade then?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. TheresTheDagger

At this point, if you still believe that native guy was some misunderstood, put upon, frail native american who simply was doing his best to bring "peace" to the situation, you're a useful idiot to the left wing cause.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sweet lou says to say hi.

when my wife's office hires an investigator, it's generally to find out what happened. if the institution turns out to have screwed up, the institution settles. if the person being investigated turns out to have screwed up or done something wrong, the institution goes to court.

But again, in this case you guys know best. I mean, these guys are Catholics . . . they must be hiding something.

Here is a sample case in a higher ed context where the University of Rochester hired an outside team to investigate allegations of sexual misconduct by a faculty member. The findings were mixed: the firm found no legal liability that university policies were violated and yet found evidence that there had been questionable behavior:

“'We … do not believe that any potential claimant or plaintiff would be able to sustain a legal claim for sexual harassment in violation of [federal law],' read the report by investigators, led by Mary Jo White, a partner at the law firm Debevoise & Plimpton in New York City who is a former U.S. attorney and former chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission. 'Despite being labeled as a ‘sexual predator’ by his accusers, there have never been allegations of sexual assault, unwanted groping, any use of force, or exhibitionism outside of consensual relationships, and we have found no evidence of such behavior ever occurring,' the report continues."​

No real winners or losers here, and the University President ended up resigning.

Critics of the report might argue as you and Lou have argued "well of course the report found no liability! that's what the university paid them to prove!" But in reality the truth is somewhere in the middle: this was a complicated, nuanced case full of ambiguities and questions of policy interpretation alongside questions of fact.

What's really at stake in questioning these kinds of investigative efforts is the integrity of the individual or individuals doing the investigation. In the university context, the university really does want to find out the truth of what happened in a possible case of sexual harassment or scientific misconduct. It does not want to sweep problems under the rug or simply ignore a problem by paying an outside firm to "prove" the problem does not exist.

Does such "spin" occur? I'm sure it does on occasion. My point here has simply been to suggest that there is nothing inherently or automatically prejudicial in conducting such an investigation. To make that claim you'd have to read the actual report that gets generated, in either the Rochester Case or the Kentucky high school situation. That's all I'm saying. I simply reject the automatic, knee-jerk reaction of Lou who says "well of course the investigation says the kids didn't taunt the Native Americans! that's what they're paid to prove." I simply reject that automatic assertion without evidence supporting the assertion.

#1044 Os Trigonum, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

they werent just catholics. they were wearing MAGA hats. you can even yell racist stuff at MAGA hat people.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Do you know American history regarding Native Americans? There was a genocide against Native American tribes conducted by the United States of America. So yes, someone wearing a hat suggesting a return to those "good ol' days" might be offensive.

I'm sorry your such a brittle little snowflake that "Go Back to Europe" coming from the group against whom that genocide was carried out is so troubling to you.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's definitely nuanced. In the case of the University, an unbiased report is what they are paying for. It helps them to know if the Professor is doing unethical things and it protects them from future legal action should they do something to prevent it. They hope there was nothing for which they would be legally liable, so they got exactly the outcome they would have wanted.

I'm not saying the investigation was inherently flawed. I am saying that if the investigation was paid for by the Catholic school it is fair to question the impartiality of that investigation.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Oh, you mean the Native Americans who were harassed by the same hate group that was harassing the kids? That one who was taunted and antagonized by the hate group? The same Native American group that had the hate group tell lies about their heritage and make racist remarks toward them?

And yet on the video, once Phillips plays his song of love, which is what the song was in face of the MAGA kids, the situation is actually defused and the hate group that was taunting and antagonizing the kids before stops and starts talking about the Native American guy is calming the demons (referring to the MAGA kids) but in turn they themselves are calm and stop their taunting while he is doing that.

Maybe he wasn't 'trying' to bring peace to the situation but that is in fact what he did. So whether or not he tried to do that, it is what he did... except for the MAGA students who continued to make racist comments and actions towards the Native Americans.

I don't know if you've actually seen the whole video or not, but that is what happened.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The point is there is no way to say that the outcome of a private investigation has merit as it's impossible to know if there was pressure to get to a certain conclusion. Sounds like you are agreeing with this statement.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol holy **** what is left to talk about with this? you guys just need to meet up and have a beer and hug it out

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some live music night help.

I know a costumed performer who's good at drums.

Astrodome and dachuda86 like this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Of all the things you don't like about him, you went for some classist BS reason. lol. Typical elitism from the far left. Sorry but the guy is detestable, and not because of his past profession.

cml750 likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I got ya …. How about a little Native American blues ?!

#1053 Corrosion, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How about as little Paul Revere and the Raiders?

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Let me get this straight. You actually think it is okay that he was a fridge mechanic? I can't believe anyone would belive that.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing is quite so "feelgood" as the white bread 1970's music of the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack.

#1056 Ottomaton, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Post is reporting this morning that the Sandmann family is suing the Post for $250 million

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_term=.95e2aa4c8598

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The Post will argue that its not their fault Phillips is a liar. The Post will probably win , though i hope not.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Channeling my inner Social Conservative Warrior ...

The Sandmann family is all about The Benjamins. What a bunch of gold diggers!

And here I thought that all of the tort reform over the last 20 years would have prevented this nuisance suit.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

God you are weak. So mad that this Indian guy turned out to be a scummy activist.