1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Trump to impose tariff on steel and aluminium, geaux Trump!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump finds new ways to lie and embarrass the US in front of foreign leaders...

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is like saying Altuve hit .147 last year. He did, if you eliminate his singles. If you don't include everything (services in particular), the US ran a deficit with Canada. When you include everything, the US ran a surplus.

3. NewRoxFan

LOL... SHS lies about trumps lie about lying...

Sarah Sanders says Trump didn’t admit lying when he admitted lying to Canada’s prime minister
    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/sa...-lying-admitted-lying-canadas-prime-minister/

4. adoo

adoo Member

3+ weeks ago,Trump had announced tariff on imported steel, the stock market plummeted, a drop of ~500 points.
    yesterday, Dow announced a target tariff on Chinese imports, the stock tanked, dropping 700 points

expect price increases on goods purchased from Target, Walmart, Amazon, costco, etc.

on the same day, China announced tariffs on imports from the US.
    porks (from the mid-western states, trump country)
    fruits, nuts from Calif, Mesquite hardwood fromTx, etc.

according to reports, next on the list, if necessary,
    farm equipment (Catapillar)
    Boeing planes
    US made jeans

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/world/asia/china-trump-retaliatory-tariffs.html

there are no winners in a trade war

#224 adoo, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

Trade war is easy according to Trump.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

8. conquistador#11

Nobody messes with my slim fit jeans and pants!

looks like clothes will be made in Mexico again. Mexico should do the same, el salvador too. Trump can't have it both ways even if he fantasizes about it. I still say it's all talk. No one is going to want to make those not so beautiful trump polyester suits in the U.S for minimum wage.

#228 conquistador#11, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm no economist or historian, and I don't play one on the internet...so bear with me...

I work for the family business, sheet metal fabrication. It would seem like this is going to help us compete with Chinese products...by which I mean, not get undercut. We can't take $400 bucks on a job that cost $500 to produce. Not in this climate...and I'm not pro-Trump or anti-Obama, just stating facts here, we barely made it out of Obama's 2nd term. It's weird how quickly things picked up after Trump was elected. Seriously, I'm just saying this for reference, I don't give a **** who is president. The jobs we got went from sizable orders to small, and it's not like we raised prices, we're fairly priced and produce good quality parts, etc.,etc. We just started getting undercut, big time. The orders we would get were the rush jobs where they couldn't wait for something to ship from the other side of the planet. Even in the last year, we've started getting better orders like we used to get.

If the tariff makes it so that our prices haven't changed but are now cheaper than China...how is that bad? Wrong? Turnabout would seem fair play, no?

koochingchang likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for you, and the handful of other people in your position, bad for every other person on the planet.

When it comes to your family and livelihood, and a business you've invested so much in, I can't blame you for not thinking of them.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If it makes the scales balance in anyone else’s mind, there’s plenty of weight on the other side. If this helps us, I’ll take it. Every other person on the planet has no grounds to call it selfish or to complain that one policy is actually going to help us when so many don’t, particularly when a lot of the side notes of our business benefit them. Honestly if that’s all there is to it, that rings completely hollow with me. Like, completely hollow.

I’ve already had people in request-for-quotes make

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Just to understand, if they were turning around before the tariffs, why the need for tariffs?

I also take it that you don't import your aluminum or steel?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

CometsWin likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Those sneaky Chinese are so biased. So unfair. They hate Trump.

:cool:

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trump has been waiting 30 years to attack Chinese trade, there's no stopping him now.

If there's one thing that makes him angrier than Mexicans crossing the border, it's Chinese trade deals.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. pirc1

17. NewRoxFan

GOP senator on tariff threat: Hopefully Trump is blowing off steam because ‘this is nuts’
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-hopefully-trump-is-blowing-off-steam-because

18. NewRoxFan

19. pirc1

Democrats are secretly hoping Trump goes through with his threats and start a real trade war, it will pretty much guarantee to give the congress to the Democrats in 2018.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member