1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Several Islamic posters on this board have claimed to take the Quran literally. Of course, the interpretation of what "literal" interpretation is varies.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

This kind of goes back to what I was saying in the post I edited above....i assume these issues reflect things that went on LONG ago.....like hundreds of years (i could be wrong)....and while Im not Christian, I do know that the ones I know probably know nothing about this stuff (i could be wrong again)....whereas, this whole Muslim/Islam vs America (or however u want to label it) is happening NOW....this mosque is being discussed now and the reason its being discussed is bc of something that happened 10 years ago...not centuries ago where things were much different

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Is it intensive...maybe to some, but I think having it being built there would make a bigger statement about the character of the American people. Showing tolerance in the shadow of an horrific event is far more patriotic then a lip service, and would ultimately be truthful to how this country was founded.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The more intolerance we show towards the Muslim people bigger and more valid the reason there is to have Islam vs America.

5. NJRocket

but it was their unprovoked intolerance of us, our beliefs and our freedoms that initiated this whole rivalry

we can do a couple things....we can treat them as if they were a misbehaving 3 year old and continue to reprimand them but not put our foot down or we can say "enuf is enuf"...now you are going to have to compromise or do it our way. The topic here is that Trump wants to buy it and move it 4 blocks away from the proposed site. How is that even remotely being unreasonable given what happened on 9-11? Heck, a mile , imo, would be a good compromise. Its the muslim community that wont budge and THEY feel like non-muslims are being unfair???

While not every single muslim should be punished for the acts of a few, i dont think its too much for them to understand why non-muslims view this project the way they do.

#165 NJRocket, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  6. NJRocket

Non muslims are expected to respect the feelings of muslims and be sensitive to this or that.....but the fact that they cant be expected to offer the same sensitivity is bs

7. Major

Major Member

Except that's not true. The people behind the mosque went to the city. They talked to local residents. They got the support of local Christian and Jewish leaders. The city held hearings and not a single person complained.

It wasn't until ONE person who's been on an anti-Islam crusade since 9/11 wrote an article that it became an issue. And it became an issue around the country - not amongst 9/11 families. It became an issue for the Sarah Palins and Rush Limbaughs of the world, who then turned it into a national issue. They made the argument that it was hurtful to 9/11 families - while, as with you, never actually bothering to see if that's true. And then it just became repeated as fact, as it did with you.

The problem with the whole story is that it was never fact - it was political opportunism which you fell for. We have little evidence either way, though he know that Manhattanites, who are closest to the tragedy, actually support the project. And we know that more 9/11 families have made public statements in support of the project than against it.

Your stated rationale for being against it is that it offends 9/11 families. That doesn't remotely hold water.

8. NJRocket

u have proof of this?

in your opinion

9. NJRocket

ur being extremely naive if u believe that

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That is your opinion only. From what NJRocket has written, he is considerably closer to several of the affected families than you seem to be.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

Right...because all Muslims supported the 9/11 attacks right :rolleyes:

Way to dodge the question with this ridiculous statement. I guess this means you hate blacks too since you're so afraid to answer it.

12. Major

Major Member

Yes - I posted the quotes. And the polls have been posted elsewhere in this thread.

And my opinion is supported by the data. Yours is not. You either got conned by the Palins of the world, or you're looking to justify your bigotry by claiming your opinion is shared by 9/11 families.

13. Major

Major Member

Actually, I'm using the facts which have been extremely well documented in the timeline of this controversy. Please, share the ones that show otherwise.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahaha, you are upset that you are asked to be sensitive?

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

your priorities are screwed up if you think a community swimming pool is more offensive than strippers and seedy massage parlors.

please show me anywhere in lower manhattan that is more than 1 mile from ground zero...

(note the mile marker in the bottom left)
    [​IMG]

or

(note mile marker in bottom right)
    [​IMG]

and you still have not said what you think should be done w/ the mosque that is already 4 blocks from ground zero.

wow. i think we all know where you are coming from at this point.

17. NJRocket

u posted a dozen quotes...out of 3000 families. nice sample size

again, i didnt start this debate in the media...and i certainly havent commented on it in public (outside of this board)....so obviously, there are an awful lot of bigots who need to forget about 9-11 and forgive everything that went down

18. NJRocket

u just dont get it

19. NJRocket

lower manhattan is pretty much anything south of 14th street. 14th street is about 3 miles or so from ground zero......additionally, the lower east side/E Houston/Delancy st, alphabet city is about the same distance from ground zero....there are plenty of places within a mile....or 10 blocks for God sakes....but you would have no idea about that because the closest u have ever been to NYC is google maps

20. NJRocket

Let me pose a question to all of u radical muslim apologists....if the powers that be who are protesting this mosque said "we will compromise and agree to not protest if u keep it 10 blocks away...this way u get ur mosque and we appease the families who are upset about it being so close to ground zero"....would u still argue?