1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

<> "stop building them" & "let them build it and then blow it up while they are inside"

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

no...what is close minded is not admitting that the location may be offensive to thousands of families who lost their loved ones in 9-11. You cant tell those families how to feel or react unless you are one. No one is telling them that they cant build in Manhattan...or even in LOWER manhattan for that matter....just move it a mile away or so from ground zero. Opposing that rationale is close minded to say the least

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Last time I checked, the Constitution didn't have a clause that said you could disregard a civil right just because someone (or many) is offended by something. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Major

Major Member

And plenty of 9/11 families support the project and will be offended if it's moved in the name of bigotry. So now you're going to offend people no matter what.

Really? I would say the people attacking mosques in California and Tennessee would be opposed to a mosque a mile away from Ground Zero. Oh, and the NY GOP candidate for Governor:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/paladino-wherever-human-remains.php?ref=fpb

So the idea that people would simply be happy if it was moved a mile away is nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  5. dback816

dback816 Member

Here's a better idea: those families should stop being bigots and opposing this

Cool?

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

The only valid argument I can understand against building a mosque is the adhan before dawn. I work at night and I can tell you that hearing a muezzin through a loudspeaker an hour after going to sleep isn't very pleasant.

Still...I thought this was a community center with a prayer room in it?

Isn't that like calling a JCC a synagogue or a YMCA a church?

7. NJRocket

this isnt a constitutional battle...its a moral battle. nice try

8. NJRocket

really? what %?

9. NJRocket

yeah...those families who had loved ones killed by Quran carrying muslims should just mind their own business :rolleyes:

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

what is your opinion on the mosque that is already 4 blocks away? should that one be relocated? what about all the seedy bars, strip clubs and massage parlors that are w/in a few blocks of the wtc?

there is nowhere in lower manhattan that is more than 1 mile away from ground zero. basically you are saying no mosques south of houston st. imo, that is very 'close minded' and just not practical or rational and also goes against everything this country stands for.

and since you are so concerned w/ placating the victims families does that mean you also support another investigation into what really happened on 9/11, b/c many family members of victims have called for it?

11. vlaurelio

you hate Islam and all Muslims?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Look, I had friends die because of 9/11(war in Afghanistan)... Ive been to war... had my leg almost blown off... Ive experienced tragedy as a result of the attack.

Guess what I am not at all offended by the mosque or Islam in general. Why? Because I have an iq over 100 and have some common sense.

13. Major

Major Member

I have no idea - what % are against it? What % is necessary to move it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park51

Some relatives of victims of the 9/11 attacks expressed support for the project.

Colleen Kelley, who lost her brother William on 9/11, says, the "irony in the debate over the section of the building that would house a mosque is that one might assume that God (the same God to Jews-Christians-Muslims) would be pleased with any type of effort that involves prayer and service to others."[201]

Orlando Rodriguez and Phyllis Schaefer Rodriguez, whose son died in the attack, say they "support the building of the Islamic community center in lower Manhattan" and "feel that it would honor our son and other victims".[202]

Herb Ouida, whose son Todd died, said: "To say that we're going to condemn a religion and castigate a billion people in the world because they're Muslims, to say that they shouldn't have the ability to pray near the World Trade Center—I don't think that's going to bring people together and cross the divide."[141]

Marvin Bethea, a former EMS worker who was forced to retire in 2004 because of breathing problems caused by working at the 9/11 site, believes racism is a factor in the controversy, He said "even though my life has changed, I don't hate the Muslims. Especially being a black man, I know what it's like to be discriminated against. I've lived with that."[141]

Donna O'Connor, whose pregnant daughter died on 9/11, expressed the opinion that "This building will serve as an emblem for the rest of the world that Americans ... recognize that the evil acts of a few must never damn the innocent."[203]

Ted Olson, former Solicitor General in the George W. Bush administration, whose wife, television commentator Barbara Olson, died in the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, has expressed support for the rights of the Park51 organizers to construct the new site. In remarks on MSNBC, Olson said "we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith."[204][205]

Bruce Wallace, whose nephew died as he rushed in to help the victims, says "the media seems eager to trumpet the feelings of those hurt by the idea of the center. They mostly ignore my feelings and those, like me, who feel the center is an important step for Americans."[206]

Judith Keane, whose husband was killed on 9/11, says "To punish a group of Americans who live in peace for the acts of a few is wrong. The worst atrocities in history found their base in fear of those who were different."[207]

Talat Hamdani, whose son was a first responder in the rescue effort and died in 9/11, co-wrote an article supporting the center in the interest of pluralism.[139] She has also criticized the argument about sensitivity arguing that it was more about the legality of the situation and "our rights as Americans. We are protected under the Constitution. There is freedom of religion." Implying that the ban could be the thin edge of the wedge she said "You know, if it’s one faith today, it’s going to be another faith tomorrow. That is scary. And to scapegoat the Muslims for the acts of a foreign terrorist, that is — that is hatred." She went on "... if that argument is valid, then, by that token, Timothy McVeigh’s actions also makes all Christians terrorists. So, that is wrong."[208]

The anti-war group September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, released a statement in support of the center, saying "we believe that welcoming the Center, which is intended to promote interfaith tolerance and respect, is consistent with fundamental American values of freedom and justice for all," adding it will be "an emblem for the rest of the world that Americans stand against violence, intolerance, and overt acts of racism and that we recognize that the evil acts of a few must never damn the innocent".[143][209]

Terry Rockefeller, whose sister was killed, said: "this doesn't insult her at all. This celebrates the city she loved living in. It is what makes America what we are."[143]

Sue Rosenblum, of Coral Springs, Florida, whose son Josh was killed in the WTC attacks on 9/11, said in reference to the planned Mosque: "What are we teaching if we say you can't build here? That it's OK to hate? This is a country based on freedom of religion."[210]

14. dback816

dback816 Member

Let me put this in an example you silly southerners can understand:

You got robbed by a black guy, are you justified to hate all blacks now?

:rolleyes:

15. NJRocket

um...next time a bunch of strippers bomb a building, ill revisit this ridiculous question

u should visit NYC....its a nice place.

sure

16. NJRocket

i hate that they think all Americans should be condemned for their beliefs but that they have no problem living here and taking advantages of the exact freedoms that they speak out against

17. NJRocket

i think you are in the minority...but kudos to u for being able to forgive and forget. I, on the other hand, went to about 18-20 funerals for close friends who worked in the towers and Im not as forgiving as u

18. NJRocket

certainly more than the .5% of families or so that u listed

19. NJRocket

if all blacks denounced American freedoms and thought all infidels should die, then yes

20. vlaurelio

all Muslims believe this? proof? link?